Next pandora (competition model)

But the N64 only has one! :blink: (Though it does have a lot of action buttons...)

Definitely need 6 buttons. And speakers. (but maybe not 6 speakers... :p )

I've been wanting a Pandora for ages now, but now that I finally might be able to afford one, I realize it's 2 years old already... do I pay $500 for what was a high-end system 2 years ago, or just wait and order a Pandora 2?

I've been wanting a Pandora for ages now, but now that I finally might be able to afford one, I realize it's 2 years old already... do I pay $500 for what was a high-end system 2 years ago, or just wait and order a Pandora 2?

Easy: Pandora exists now, and IT HAS F***ING SUPER GEOMETRY DUST!!!!! Pandora 2, on the other hand, could be 4-5 years before it materializes VERY easily.

I'd rather see evolution than revolution in the short term. Keep the general features and design, but try to improve on stuff that has been found lacking. This way you should get faster time-to-market and less surprises/delays. For revolutionary stuff like swivel hinges, thinner cases and new controls you should have everything else pretty much nailed, so you can concentrate on making the new feature work as well as possible. Have every other release be a revolution (like the first one) and every other an evolution. Of course this is another armchair designer talking, but I think this would allow you to realize revolutionary ideas, better keep up with the power of the other devices in market, and retain a high quality.

My list would include: newer SOC (with compatibility to the current one), better screen (better blacks, higher resolution and outdoors usability), better shoulder buttons, nubs could have more travel, d-pad could have a tiny bit more sensitive diagonals, more usable battery housing.

Definitely need 6 buttons. And speakers. (but maybe not 6 speakers... :p )

We're just having fun here... Just because we're talking about the P2 doesn't mean that it's going to come into existence any time soon... hell, there's a possibility it might never exist at all!

Regarding the current Pandora:

It hasn't devalued in two years... It still does everything you wanted it for in the first place. (and it keeps and will keep getting better).

So if I were you, I wouldn't hold off getting one... Especially now that production is about to start in Germany.

To give you an example: if my Pandora were to experience something fatal, I would go out of my way to put money aside to replace it. This would take priority over setting money aside for other devices... devices that spec wise are supposed to be far superior to the Pandora, but in real world experience, simply don't measure up.

The Pandora is an absolute treasure of a device, and I *know* you won't regret owning one...

It hasn't devalued in two years... It still does everything you wanted it for in the first place. (and it keeps and will keep getting better).

So if I were you, I wouldn't hold off getting one... Especially now that production is about to start in Germany.
Very true. Should a Pandora 2 come out with better memory and CPU specs, it still couldn't emulate PS2, or Gamecube. So just think of how you're going to use it, and then if it's worth the money.

The Pandora is an absolute treasure of a device, and I *know* you won't regret owning one...
Has anyone, ever?

Is there a possibility of a Pandora 1.5

With all the obvious tweaks and polish but nothing new?

As we won't see a big functionality jump yet, I'd rather spend the time on a new and exiting P2. Telling people:

"remember that weird emulator console that didn't happen a few years ago? Well we made a few thousand, tweaked it and it still isn't an 8 core tablet"

Doesn't really sound too impressive to the average Joe in the office.

We need to make the mainstream look pathetic because they dropped physical controls back in 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone, ever?
Yes, a lot of people have received it, found it not what they actually wanted (either because they didn't research it enough or their desires changed over time) and promptly sold it. Then came here to complain about it for some reason.

What about moving the controls?

P2_moved_controls.png
post-3032-0-16747300-1324999947_thumb.png

Would this be a improvement for touchscreen-centric games?

Maybe some really cool use could be made of the space left on the lower section...

View attachment 1398

Maybe some really cool use could be made of the space left on the lower section...
Those nubs look really uncomfortable to use, especially if you need ANY of the other controls. I just tried it with a Pandora in hand and it's not a good spot in my opinion.

[edit]I haven't followed the thread in all detail. Which problem are you trying to solve with this? The current layout is pretty good, in my opinion.

[/edit]

I was just messing with the design to see if any new ideas would work.

The advantage of that could be freeing up space for something cool

The disadvantage, as you have just found, is that its a utterly rubbish place to put the nubs.

Back to the mad ideas box... :)

I love your keyboard labelling, Binky. :lol:

I know you were just messing with it and all, but I'm pretty sure that having to hold the upper half like that could be dangerous to the hinge - it might not be the best place for "heavy-duty" controls of that sort. :p

View attachment 1398

Binky! you've finally solved the biggest probelm of all! - Just move the dpad and abxy to the sides and we'll have space to put a small secondary screen for... NDS emulation!!! :lol: :D ;) ;) ;) :lol:

On a more serious note, the nubs there with a backflip screen is... interesting...

However, I wouldn't want to be forced to use the nubs only in that way... trying to manipulate a dpad that's reversed with my fingers I can't see as an intuitive or enjoyable gaming experience.

Seeing as we're throwing crazy ideas around... how about modular controls? Sockets where the dpad, abxy, and nubs are... so you can place them wherever you want them to be... and even plug in say a 6-button, though it would have to be slightly raised due to the space limitations.

Are modular controls even possible? (I'm not a techy, so I wouldn't know)

I imagine this would be exorbitantly expensive and drastically increase the RMA rate though... Or perhaps they would lessen due to people just buying replacements???

MS got there first!

microsoftpatent_img1.jpg

But I would love to see something truly new in a P2, alongside repackaged old ideas of course

Are modular controls even possible? (I'm not a techy, so I wouldn't know)
Yes, but to my knowledge it hasn't yet been done commercially.

The prototype version of the Nintendo 3DS had a modular d-pad and Circle Pad, so that they could determine the control placement for the final product. As far as I know, these were fully-functional, but it wasn't intended to be shipped to retail that way.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Binky. :ph34r:

Back