Next pandora (competition model)

I'm another one that that feels a little shiver of horror everytime cutting the battery life is suggested.

I really hope it doesn't come to that. I myself have two batteries. While one provides enough charge most of the time, there are definite situations where I completely drain the one and use up a 3rd to a half of the second one before I can reach an electrical outlet.

In fact, one of my favorite suggestions so far has been to make the whole bottom part of the Pandora a battery instead of fitting it into a compartment... so that we can *INCREASE* battery life, or at least try to maintain what we've already got when the upgraded internals are put in.

On a different note, concerning the modular controls... Perhaps we only make the nubs modular. That way, for those dead set on sticks, they can pop those in (but will have to swap them out again before closing the lid)... other options would be extra buttons (to enable L2, R2, and a 6-button lay out), or a trackball.

@FaeMinx: What about putting a slightly smaller (say 3Ah) battery neatly in a somewhat thinner case, Then providing extra 3Ah packs that fit on the back was acceptable?

Then those who want a thinner P2 get it.

Those who want more battery get it.

People who want both could charge the internal battery from the backpack when their P2 was in their bag.

I suppose I could live with that...

Do you think it would be possible for the Pandora to drain the attacheable battery pack first, then switch to the internal... and make it that you can hot swap attacheable packs...

This would be a superior solution as you wouldn't have to switch off your Pandora to give it more juice on the fly.

Using batteries in order should be quite easy.

I agree that hot-swapable battery packs is a must.

Some people might want to actually use their P2 in the thin configuration, having charged it from a battery pack. Are there any electrical engineers around who could say weather it is practical to charge a battery to a voltage above the power supply in a compact device (I can think of some clumsy ways to do it!)

I think if you connect two batteries together they will tend to balance until they reach the same voltage.

Neo Geo pocket had one of the best thumbstick of any handheld system and not only that it had one of the most top games on portable system for me ngpc is the best handheld system to date,it was small,thin,light and really cute to look and hold.

N64 thumbstick is one of the finest i have ever used not only that best controller in history of controllers and controller worked so great with all n64 games and emulators too.

Now on pandora we need 6 buttons layout not 3 buttons like p1 also get rid of shoulder buttons,they are uncomfortable and get worn out quick also it's hard to play games with them.

In pandora 2 we need more power with higher cpu,more ram and other stuff which makes hardware strong to play 3d games.

Don't bother with ds it's on 2 screens it's impossible to make even on the new p2 aswell,we should work on systems like 3do,jaguar,saturn,dremcast,cps3,sega model and maybe gamecube.

Using batteries in order should be quite easy.

I agree that hot-swapable battery packs is a must.

Additionally, it'd be good if you could switch from wall power to battery power based on what's plugged in. I hope whatever PMIC they'll be using is advanced enough to handle this. And also avoid over-charging batteries. And be guaranteed to run without a battery, although with the first two in place that wouldn't really matter so much.

I would say gamecube support or at least enough power to hopefully run gamecube, would be near the top of my list of course without actually using a pandora and looking at flaws and things that irk me on it.

I would say gamecube support or at least enough power to hopefully run gamecube, would be near the top of my list of course without actually using a pandora and looking at flaws and things that irk me on it.

Alright... So could someone in the know tell us exactly how powerfull a processor we'll need for this... Because I was under the impression GameCube wasn't even on the cards...

An 8-Core running at 3Ghz? I suppose the possibility of GameCube emulation all depends on weather the P2 happens later rather than sooner.

P.s. I would be thrilled to have GameCube emulation by the way. :eek: :)

Gamecube emulation and PS2 emulation are going to be at least as hard as N64 emulation was for Pandora, meaning the minimum is requiring someone who is really dedicated to doing a new recompiler for ARM. But it'll probably be much less feasible to get running to the same level.

I think the above are right, in requesting a consideration of 6 face buttons instead of the 4 (just speaking of the gaming controls on the right) as this could make the lack of L2/R2 nearly meaningless since there would still be relatively easy access to them, should the configuration work. I am just dreaming here, rather than having spent any time thinking how this layout would look or if it could work on the current design.

One other note, I would rather the same physical size and roughly the same battery life rather than cutting it down and having to consider swapping batteries to get through the day. One of the draws for me really was the phenomenal battery life while gaming/listening to music that is enough to get through a full day and still do a few things before plugging it in to charge and forgetting about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright... So could someone in the know tell us exactly how powerfull a processor we'll need for this... Because I was under the impression GameCube wasn't even on the cards...

An 8-Core running at 3Ghz? I suppose the possibility of GameCube emulation all depends on weather the P2 happens later rather than sooner.

P.s. I would be thrilled to have GameCube emulation by the way. :eek: :)
Yeah I know I would be thrilled too gamecube has some amazing games on there

I think the above are right, in requesting a consideration of 6 face buttons instead of the 4 (just speaking of the gaming controls on the right) as this could make the lack of L2/R2 nearly meaningless since there would still be relatively easy access to them, should the configuration work. I am just dreaming here, rather than having spent any time thinking how this layout would look or if it could work on the current design.
I always imagine such a layout to be like that of a standard Saturn controller. It works pretty well.

I always imagine such a layout to be like that of a standard Saturn controller. It works pretty well.
When playing Saturn games, I usually map A, B, C to A, X, B, and the second row of buttons to the keyboard.  The second row of buttons isn't used much in most games.

I find the 4 buttons on the pandora to be a little too close to the right edge, and I have to bend my thumb to press the B button, which gets uncomfortable.  I'm not sure how you could fit 6 buttons there without things getting really cramped.  Maybe if you moved the nub or the number keys...

Ari64 nice ideas,as myself did prefer 6 buttons on the right side,you are right about moving the nub and keys,so we can get better position on the 6 buttons.

If we don't like the idea of 6 buttons,the 4 buttons are right on p1 but we need to think about r1/r2 buttons but they need to be same place as 4 buttons for need to be comfortable to use.

Talk about running gamecube,at least try running dreamcast first then decide to run other emulators.

Ok n64 was difficult task but manage to got run most games,which was great achievement,now we can try this with dreamcast.

The big problem is dreacast and gamecube both run on cd and cd games use alot of space,memory cards will run out quick,won't able to install many of tem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back