Nk's New Snes Emulator

OMars

Website
Visit site
New version of NK's Snesgp2x emulator:

1.now you can overclock without anything (please press select button in rom selecter)
2.use Squidge's MMU hack (10frame~ increased)
3.save and save state compatible with SquidgeSNES (please move old save files from save to snes)
4.fix the shutdown bug in ASMcore mode
[CUT]
control

in rom selecter
©, X : upper folder
¨, B, stick click : run game (with sound) or open folder
A : run game with ASM core (no sound)
Select : change clock
Start : EXIT
L, R : change skin

in game

stick click + Select : display FPS
stick click + L + Select : reset the SNES
stick click + Start : save state
stick click + L + Start : load state
stick click + R : back to rom selecter

Have fun! :D[/CUT]

No, it appears to be significantly slower. I really do wonder what the most stressful bit of SNES emulation is if you nix transparencies. That's a ~2.68 Mhz 65c816 (not a very tough CPU to emulate, certainly not next to a 12 MHz 68000 like in GNGeo) .. then I believe 2 custom VDPs and the audio subsystem, neither one of which I can see being TOO tough if they are done wholly in ARM9 ASM. When scaling and rotation were going on I could see why things should be this stressful, but since they're usually not, it's not readily apparent.

Regardless of the performance, parallel development of emulators for the same systems like this benefits everyone .. as devs can share discoveries and innovations in their implementation. I'm glad to see it.

Yup, it's slower alright. FF4J runs at ~20 fps while in game and probably slower in battles, whereas SquidgeSNES achieves 60fps. FF6J runs at about 6-11fps (SSNES gets ~20).

Does it still have transpperances enabled?

Cause SFC was pretty damn nipopy on it last september.

EDIT: Yep, pretty much full speed without sound, now you can actually see where your troups can go!

I want to say sound is better/more accurate, but I can't be sure if I'm just imagining it. There were some odd beepy error tones I didn't hear in SquidgeSNES but that's not a bad tradeoff.. I think S.SNES and NK's SNES emulator have a lot to learn from each other! :)

Great Super Bomberman 3 works with this :)
Mario RPG doesnt work, but Star Ocean does! :) (very crappy graphic output...)
And you can play Secret of Mana 2 now (on SSnes the character isnt displayed), bu the text of the german fan translation is messed up.

it's great to have another good snes emulator... didn't davec say it's impossible to have transparencies... shhhheeessshhh

Well, most games run considerably slower though.

BUT: Guys, try Donkey Kong Country on this one!
Runs perfect at 275 mhz for me.

Vollgasasi posted on Jul 15 2006 at 01:05 PM said:
it's great to have another good snes emulator... didn't davec say it's impossible to have transparencies... shhhheeessshhh

Dunno if he said that, but even on the GP32 there was an snes emulator with transparencie, but it was slooooow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woah woah woah. What? I didn't know that this Nk's SNES supported transparencies. It does...right? So can you turn them off and make it go faster? Cuz then i can finally go back to that unbeatable part in Chrono Trigger.

the only thing i have to say is, if we have a PSX emulator that is running most games now around 15-35 fps, then there is absolutly no reason why transparencies shouldn't be able to be implemented without a massive speed drop. People just need more time to examine how to do it effectivly. SNES9X didn't get it until (i think) version 1.37 and at that point it was a toggle switch, that turned the layer on and off. either way, i'm rooting for SNES emulation now, as its the console i still love playing games on.

Back