Non-gaming Apps

as far as office productivity - I'd like AbiWord at least. Maybe Ted?

And, since I've never ventured beyond OOo / KOffice when it comes to Linux spreadsheets - are there any good stand-alones? At least xls viewers?

chad78 said:
And, since I've never ventured beyond OOo / KOffice when it comes to Linux spreadsheets - are there any good stand-alones? At least xls viewers?
There are several. Gnumeric is probably one of the best, though maybe overkill for Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
chad78 said:
There are several. Gnumeric is probably one of the best, though maybe overkill for Pandora.

Gnumeric works pretty good on the N800, though it has some serious problems with Excel files.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would really like a good PIM/Diary app with Outlook integration if possible, Blasphemy I hear you cry!! yes I know but it's what I use it and it's pretty much prevalant in general business... so when in Rome, orgy like a Roman.

Other than that a good and compact word processor of some sort and some form of spread sheet or accounts managment app (with data encryption).

hmmmm what else perhaps a database app of some sort

This is basicaly going to replace my Axim x50 and i'm not a fan of carrying a bulky lappy around

web browser, flash support (either from web or as apps) mp3 player, notepad, video player, and if at all possible, a DVR dock. rhapsody? web apps for things like weather and etc would be nice.

IRC Client
Yahoo/AIM/IM Client
Graffiti/Doodle/Sketch
Ti-84 / Ti-89 Emulator
Linerider
HTML Editor
PDF Reader
Light Video Editor
MMORPG
Sodoku
Music Synthesizer, Great With Voice Recorder To
Finger DDR / Stepmania
Guitar Hero Well Stylus Hero
2d Sprite Generator

Pixel art program, simple graphic application, bulk image resizer, MIDI sequencer, a basic tracker, some sort of P2P application and a calculator. The possibilities are endless!

I am musician.
So guys>

Synth Tracker [FM,LFO plus reverb ,delay...]
with build in DJ Mixer!!!
This will be ultimate DJ/MUSIC maschine!!!

The possibility of using Pandora as a UMPC really intrests me, so here's my wishlist....

Web Browser (FireFox, Opera)
Email (Thunderbird, Evolution, Opera)
SSH & Telnet client
VNC Viewer (xvncviewer)
IM (Pidgin, Kopete)
Text Editor (SciTE or other Scintilla based editor)

The office suite problem would be solved, for me anyway, by having a Java capable browser opening the possibility of a Web OS, like Ulteo.

and finally one that would be great, even if unlikely...
Google Earth!

--Isomer

In no particular order:

Basic word processing (abiword as an example for high end equivilent, or wordpad for lower end, just something to do rtfs and I'd be happy)

websurfing with the possibility of youtube (assuming flash is doable)

multimedia (at the very least mp3, ogg, wav support in addition to at least ONE video format (and if its nonstandard, please include good conversion software that gives people options (in addition to a 'simple' mode)

multichat protocol client (pidgen equivilent would be ideal)

If not that then at least a dedicated irc app

Dedicated MU client (above and byond a simple telnet app in that i want proper ansi color support as well as something, well...less stone age than 'telnet.exe'. look at simplemu for a good example of what I'd like.

Jesus christ, Blender? What is the point of that dude, Thats ridiculously stupid. I try not to shoot down other peoples ideas, but 3D design is one of the few things that should NOT move handheld, at least not for several years. Also, a GP32 emu would be pointless and innefeciant, porting is faster and easier.

I was jk about the gp32 part, but Blender's an awesome piece of software and I really think it should be ported. Besides, there already is a working pocketpc port.

Doom 3 is a really awesome piece of software, too. Doesn't mean it should be ported. There is a point when you draw the line. There's a difference between being a bit goofy, but still slightly logical (video editor) to completely pointless: Blender.
"Uh oh, I need to make a detailed 3D model, while riding the train! Good thing I have my pandora!"
Now, other than the obvious 'why the fuck would you need it' reasons, it is overly stressful on the hardware, it would run extremely slow cause of that. The screen is small and would barely be able to display anything, I mean, really, it's just pointless.

I used to have Blender running on my P2 366mhz laptop (before it broke). The Pandora has the power to run Blender, with a 3d accelerator, 600mhz processor and everything. Even if I am crazy I mustn't be the only one if somebody made a PocketPc port. Maybe it could be a "proof of concept" type of project, like Nincest 64 for the Gp2x. :)

Others have said this- I can't remember who, but:
Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should.
If you can do it, though, feel free to waste your time.

It wouldn't really be a proof of concept, because it would actually be usable. I could find a use for it, even if it is slow.
Now a good proof of concept for the Pandora, would be a <1fps Xbox emulator. That I would like to see!

Back