Notaz and his Pandora!!

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
you are. I said there was a hinge problem, everyone yelled at me.
the case notaz received is pretty much like the one used in the videos I linked above and complained about.
then it got fixed, and now it's ok (as the last craig hinge video suggests) :)
Except the case notaz received is not "pretty much like the one used in the videos". It USED to be pretty much like the one used in the videos, and then Craig opened and closed it a thousand times, overextending it and slamming it again. He basically beat the heck out of that hinge before sending it to notaz. The only judgment anyone should be making on that hinge is "wow, it's still in one piece", not how tight or loose it is.
The hinge was never fixed, you were just making an opinion based on not seeing something. That's why you were downvoted, not because you disagreed, but because you basically said "I didn't see X therefore X doesn't exist". Except X is some concept of a solid hinge. It wasn't fixed, it was just Craig showing you the supposed solidness of the hinge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tthe case opened and closed a zillion times is fine. now this case does have a hinge problem, which everyone tried to hide or not talk about, but was eventually caught on the video.
Even though he keeps the lid 100% open to show and play, you can see on the video itself the problem I'm talking about.
The force the finger applies to open/close that screen was small enough that the screen weight itself would open it (check 2:52, made it flat with no force)...
The way it closes on 2:05 was already supposed to make you worried.

btw I just wrote "in advance: the video does NOT show what I'm talking about, we'll really only check it out on hands" in the comments so people wouldn't be kid enough to say "meh, I don't see it falling!", because I didn't say it was falling, instead I said there was a problem perceived from other signs present on the video.

You see, this is why the fanboy army always try to win. they like to argue, not see the arguments and solve the problem. I've seen a lot of it from this scene, it's been years like this.
And if you leave the topic for a day, you are outposted. The mass fanboyism attack gets to a new page and everyone just forgets about serious arguments and try to flame "that guy who said something bad about the pandora or craig or something".
I enjoy this project, but sometimes hiding behing a fan wall won't get you nowhere. Instead of acknowledging problems or explaining wtf is going on, just leave the brute force to the fanbase...
That's why I should have followed my own advice and stay off the boards until some other major thing happens (good or bad)...
enjoy your wasted time, fellows :)

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
better late than never: thank you notaz for making such a great, unbiased review of the test unit.
notaz said:
cons:
- loose hinge, can only have it fully open or fully closed.
I remember complaining about the hinge exactly how you describe it, when craig released a video on youtube here
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
The force the finger applies to open/close that screen was small enough that the screen weight itself would open it (check 2:52, made it flat with no force)...
The way it closes on 2:05 was already supposed to make you worried.
Well, I thought I'd have another look at the two parts of the video that you mention. I've got no desire to shoot you down or defend the product unnecessarily - I can happily accept that we've seen flaws in the past and that they've been fixed. But, I honestly can't see the problems you're talking about.

At 2:05, we see the lid snap shut by itself from about 45 degrees. As far as I can tell it wasn't loose, or falling due to gravity. It looked more like spring tension in the hinge (like most clamshells). It seemed to snap shut pretty hard which I found a little disconcerting, but I didn't see anything unusual or flawed in the action.

At 2:52, the Pandora is off camera. You seem to be saying that the lid "falls" open to a flat position by itself. What I'm seeing is Craig trying to flick it open with one hand, because there is too much hinge friction for it to fall open itself.

Maybe I'm being a blind fanboy and I don't even know it. Honestly, I was hoping to see what you were talking about. But I didn't. Maybe I'm not reading your post correctly?

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
Tthe case opened and closed a zillion times is fine. now this case does have a hinge problem, which everyone tried to hide or not talk about, but was eventually caught on the video.
Pardon me if I'm misreading your post, but it appears to be saying that Notaz has a different case to the one that was opened and closed a lot of times.

I'm not being a fangirl at all (go and check my posting history if you like - I've rarely, if ever, commented in threads like this at all), but my understanding is that the one Notaz has apparently IS the one that was opened and closed a gajillion times. Notaz has said that, although you left that line out when you quoted him before, and Craig has said the same too.

If I'm misunderstanding, then please accept my apologies and feel free to ignore this reply. :p

BaDToaD said:
If the screens were that bad why haven't any of you picked up on that from the videos? Beacuse they aren't too bad maybe? LOL

Stop fretting over nothing FGS.

Because most videos were of such low quality that it's hard to pick up on anything in them? And most things you do notice are put down to the quality of the video, not what is actually being filmed. That's why low quality YouTube videos are not particularly helpful.

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
---Snip---
Pretty much agree with 90% of what you wrote there.
I'm just saying that it's unfair to only quote half of what notaz said, as the pandora he received was after the abuse to the hinge which was all about seeing what you can do until it seriously degrades.
I for one liked the fact that he mentioned it even though others felt it was unfair too (that and the screen and case). He was just giving his views to what he received, even if it may not be what we get.
What you seem to be talking about was prior to the abuse, and so seem to be talking about something different. You - problem with the hinge fundamentally, notaz - problem with the hinge due to abused by Craig.

Enverex said:
BaDToaD said:
If the screens were that bad why haven't any of you picked up on that from the videos? Beacuse they aren't too bad maybe? LOL

Because most videos were of such low quality that it's hard to pick up on anything in them? And most things you do notice are put down to the quality of the video, not what is actually being filmed. That's why low quality YouTube videos are not particularly helpful.

We know what screen it's using so its possible to read other reviews, or even go take a look at it.
Did enjoy the comparison shots.
I'm all for high quality vids as well though :D

Enverex said:
BaDToaD said:

Errmm... all the videos I did were 720p?

Last edited:
Since MWeston, Notaz, and Craigix all seem to agree that the device isn't really usable with the hinge in the half-open "notebook" configuration, perhaps the lead image on OpenPandora.org should be changed?

EvilDragon said:
Enverex said:
BaDToaD said:

I was referring to the ones over time, not just the ones from Notaz.

VRAndy said:
Since MWeston, Notaz, and Craigix all seem to agree that the device isn't really usable with the hinge in the half-open "notebook" configuration, perhaps the lead image on OpenPandora.org should be changed?

Erm, wait what? That's pretty much exclusively how I intended to use it as it was going to sit on my desk. It's not going to be any use fully open because I'd have to be standing over it...

EvilDragon said:
Somehow I don't think youtube streaming maintains that quality.

VRAndy said:
No, it shouldn't, because that's actually a classic, and great representation of a display, or 'on display' shot. Not practical in general use, but it works wonders for advertising (and in my eyes it screams out class). :pandora2ut4: B)

EDIT:
Image added.

pandora-console-191725.jpg

Enverex said:
VRAndy said:

Erm, wait what? That's pretty much exclusively how I intended to use it as it was going to sit on my desk. It's not going to be any use fully open because I'd have to be standing over it...

This seems to be an interpretive thing, as in you could interpret the data as given in two different slants/interpretations. I read them as these:

Optimisitc Interpretation:
The hinge has only 1 "lock" position, plus of course closed. That "lock" position is pretty wide open (around 160/170 degrees I think). However, the hinge is fairly firm and doesn't flop about badly until you've opened and closed the lid viciously 1000 times, so while you can't walk and play (and get run over) without risk to your fingers from snapping shut, you should be fine if you're sat still.

There are videos of incomplete Pandoras, with sticky tape (or not!) instead of screws where the lid flaps about in the wind, and there is one Pandora that Craig is under investigation for abusing right now, which Notaz cuirrently has, whose hinge is cracked and so floppy.

Pessimistic Interpretation:
The hinge has only 1 "lock" position, plus of course closed. So it can only be used in one position. Innit?

Without actually handling one, obviously I can't say which of those might be closest to the truth - I don't know just how vigorously you have to move to be able to jog the screen enough for it to close on your fingers. Craig seemed, fairly recently, to be saying the lid seemed fairly firm requiring considerable push to move, but it seemed in the video as if it took less force than the weight of the base to open up (i.e. the unit didn't need to be held down to open the lid further) so it's not really REALLY tight.

SONY said:
VRAndy said:
No, it shouldn't, because that's actually a classic, and great representation of a display, or 'on display' shot. Not practical in general use, but it works wonders for advertising (and in my eyes it screams out class). :pandora2ut4: B)

EDIT:
Image added.

pandora-console-191725.jpg

Without conceeding that the unit cannot be used in that manner - as I don't have the data to do that - I suspect Andy's comment revolves not around marketing considerations but ethical ones, possibly even legal ones. You know, like trading standards and stuff. If you advertise something a certain way, it's good morally (and sometimes legally) if it can actually do that, as the advertising could be taken as being "misleading" otherwise.

Like I say - I'm not convinced that OpenPandora have actually said that the unit can't be used this way, and I suspect they'll argue it can/could (but possibly you wouldn't want to, once you try it).

I wish that the hinge had multiple locking positions, myself, as that would be handy in its own right but also prevent anyone worrying about the issue - as it wouldn't be one.

Didn't x8600000000 (give or take a few 0s) say in his review, upon visiting Craig, that the hinge was pretty solid so long as you weren't, like, jostling it around? Running around and it snapped open, but so long as it was still (on a desk, for example) it held firm? Something like that, someone fill in my memory?

Jesus H. Corbett.

The Pandora will site QUITE HAPPILY open like a laptop so you can watch films etc. on it or type. Didn't I show it sitting like that in several videos? I've certainly left it like that running various MAME games many many times just for my own entertainment (I don't know why, I just like to watch them running).

It is designed to be used to play games FULLY OPEN - you won't want to use it any other way because of the screen angle - and fully open is where we have the hinge 'lock'.

There is no ridiculous conspiracy here. As if we would have the time to fake all those videos.

I'm not sure if this is a silly question or not but anyways...

The USB socket is on the back right? With the screen fully open how big (tall) a dongle type device can fit in a usb socket? For example some Freeview TV USB cards are quite chunky as are some memory sticks etc?

craigix said:
Jesus H. Corbett.

I used to love watching "the two Jesuses" :)

craigix said:
The Pandora will site QUITE HAPPILY open like a laptop so you can watch films etc. on it or type. Didn't I show it sitting like that in several videos?

I don't know, I don't watch 'em all or study them for defects to the degree that others might. Having the memory of a goldfish I've only been able to directly recall a couple of instances where the lid position strength was in any way referenced.

craigix said:
It is designed to be used to play games FULLY OPEN - you won't want to use it any other way because of the screen angle - and fully open is where we have the hinge 'lock'.

See? I SAID you'd say that! LOL.

craigix said:
There is no ridiculous conspiracy here. As if we would have the time to fake all those videos.

Conspiracies aren't required, not even ridiculous ones, for communications to go foul. Someone's added 2 + 2 = 5 and none of us have had the mathematical proof to PROVE to him that it's really 4. An outright statement from any of us doesn't count - from you it should. I bet someone could still find 15 loopholes in there if they tried hard enough though. English - it's great :D

Gruso said:
Sit tight guys. I'll sue OP Ltd for false posing of products right after I'm done with Nintendo.

1jag51.jpg

Pfft, OpenPandora are a better target. the law isn't so much about right and wrong as it is about who can pay their lawyers for longer :(

MDave said:
I didn't get MY floating stylus, don't know about you guys. Mine must be broke or something.

That's because the stylus isn't floating. The photographer's assistant is invisible.

Back