October 30th

Ryuu

Still Fresh
I have been following this forum for some time now and was under the assumption that the Pandora will ship at the end of October.. not in 2 months. I was one of the first to order but now i have read the Wiki fully and saw the words 30 November my jaw dropped, Has production started yet? how long will production take? the production lines in most factories are made to produce 10,000 or more units a day aren't they? Craig can i pick my Pandora up at your house since u live in the UK :p ill bring crumpets and scones too, but you will have to take care of the earl grey tea ok?

p.s: i still wonder why i was under the impression it was going to be only 1 month :S

http://www.pandorawiki.org/Pandora said:
The Pandora is a seventh-generation handheld game console. When it is released, estimated for summer 2008, it will be the most powerful handheld games console available.
This is also one the wiki. So I think the wiki is jsut outdated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mithrildor said:
http://www.pandorawiki.org/Pandora said:
The Pandora is a seventh-generation handheld game console. When it is released, estimated for summer 2008, it will be the most powerful handheld games console available.
This is also one the wiki. So I think the wiki is jsut outdated.
but the ship date remains 30th november? :(

The impression of 1 month would have come from the prospective ship date when the 30th was announced as a pre-order date suggested at 7th November, with 16th being more likely (or something along those lines).

The currently quoted date afaik is 28th November.

I've also seen a post by craig to the effect that they'll be sending them out as they get them, which may imply different ship dates depending on how quickly you ordered - but wither the 28th/30thy/whatever is the date the first one gets posted, or whether it's the average, I don't know. We'll find out soo, I imagine!

Tobriand said:
The impression of 1 month would have come from the prospective ship date when the 30th was announced as a pre-order date suggested at 7th November, with 16th being more likely (or something along those lines).

I've also seen a post by craig to the effect that they'll be sending them out as they get them, which may imply different ship dates depending on how quickly you ordered - but wither the 28th/30thy/whatever is the date the first one gets posted, or whether it's the average, I don't know. We'll find out soo, I imagine!
Thnx Tobirand for this alternate answer which i hadnt thought of but if the items will be all on the same production line wouldnt that mean they will all ship at the same time?

and i still dont know why i was thinking october 30th Exactly over and over when i pre-ordered

Mithrildor said:
I don't know , we need Craigix or someone else of the crew to anwser this question. But I hope the wiki is lying.
me too.. anticipation KILLS! and i promised id show this to my little sister before she goes on her camping trip which is november 10th

As long as I get it before Christmas and before I go away to to my ISEB I'm golden stuck in a hotel room with nothing to do for a few days is no fun

Ryuu said:
Tobriand said:

Thnx Tobirand for this alternate answer which i hadnt thought of but if the items will be all on the same production line wouldnt that mean they will all ship at the same time?

and i still dont know why i was thinking october 30th Exactly over and over when i pre-ordered

Mithrildor said:
I don't know , we need Craigix or someone else of the crew to anwser this question. But I hope the wiki is lying.
me too.. anticipation KILLS! and i promised id show this to my little sister before she goes on her camping trip which is november 10th

Craig and Crew may very well get the units in a bulk shipment.
But they need to install the software and test each unit.
So a few hundred a day over a couple weeks with shippments going out every day, is my guess.

Ryuu said:
Craigix said that he could get 5,000 per month built without it costing stupid amounts of money (They probably have scheduled manufacture and other orders to fit it around), so if Craig has already placed the order, then he *may* start receiving them around November 10th, assuming everything goes without problem.

However, I'd stick with the official day Tobriand gave you, just in case.

Well they are gonna be receiving just the unit, the people in China aren't going to be preloading it or anything, just manufacturing it and shipping.

iprice said:
They have to install and test EVERY unit? :eek:
You wouldn't want to receive a 1st edition DOA Pandora now would you?

Squidge said:
iprice said:
They have to install and test EVERY unit? :eek:
You wouldn't want to receive a 1st edition DOA Pandora now would you?

Then why dont they give us the address to where they will be delivered and we ALL help out in installing flashing and testing the pandoras? i mean 4000 units being processed by 3-6 ppl o_O? i may be wrong but thats the image im getting unless offcourse the pandora team already have volunteers of 50-60 ppl to help with the flashing installing and testing. This IS a COMMUNITY project isn't it ? :p

but then again i may be talking bs simply because i want this thing asap AND fully tested :eek:

Its not like they have to install Windows onyo a hard drive, taking an hour per device :)

They probably just have to let them each run overnight (like many electrponcis you buy!) to ensure they're halfway good; further, installation of the software probably just means sticking in an SD card.

Testing and QA is important!

jeff

skeezix said:
Its not like they have to install Windows onyo a hard drive, taking an hour per device :)

They probably just have to let them each run overnight (like many electrponcis you buy!) to ensure they're halfway good; further, installation of the software probably just means sticking in an SD card.
It's a pity the nand couldn't come with test software pre-flashed, so the electrical side could be tested before shipping, and then when Craig turned them on for the final test, they could enable the Wifi, search for there latest firmware on his server and flash themselves. That would be pretty damn impressive :)

Squidge said:
skeezix said:

It's a pity the nand couldn't come with test software pre-flashed, so the electrical side could be tested before shipping, and then when Craig turned them on for the final test, they could enable the Wifi, search for there latest firmware on his server and flash themselves. That would be pretty damn impressive :)

not immpresive but scary O.O. Terminator anyone?

yeah that would be impressive squidge :)
but remember, they can do more than one per person at a time, I mean, you can be on a rolling chair and just do repeating actions in order as you slide down and it will all go at the same time. But yeah, that is a lot of SD cards to use at once.

Back