One queue cleared, TV Out cables finally coming and some other tidbits (2013-03-20)

Crap, I was hoping for a fully usable TV-cable, and not just a small adapter ... oh well <_<

Still the question remains if the people who already pre-ordered the cable with their Pandora should add themselves to the Notify-List, and if they will have to purchase it (again)? I think the pre-order price for the cable was around €15?

Congratulations, theres light at the end of the tunnel.

Hopefully everything will come to good terms again, so we can start thinking about the future.

Crap, I was hoping for a fully usable TV-cable, and not just a small adapter ... oh well <_<
Using a small cable with female connectors you can choose the length & type of cable required for you. Some people might need just SVideo & audio out, some might want Composite with audio in & out, some might want 5M cables, some might want 3M cables, some 10M etc.

My guess is the expense of producing a full size cable with SVideo, Composite, Audio In & Out would be prohibitive.

For reference, expect to pay less than $5 each for a 5M male to male SVideo cable and a 5M male to male audio cable.

I also guess you're not a compulsive tech. hoarder like me with a big box of legacy / old cables just waiting to be used

Still the question remains if the people who already pre-ordered the cable with their Pandora should add themselves to the Notify-List, and if they will have to purchase it (again)? I think the pre-order price for the cable was around €15?
Agreed, it would be good to have some clear info on this, not sure if OP GmbH took pre orders for TV Out cables though. I'm not entirely certain* that OP Ltd will have kept the money taken for provision of TV Out cables set aside for that specific purpose. Here's hoping Craig will show a bit of honour on this issue to make up for past sins.

* i.e. Doubt there is a snowball in hells chance of this ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
A short cable is a good idea, a long cable for all of that (audio in+out, composite and SVideo) would be major overkill because you never need all of that at the same time. E.g. to give a presentation or to play a game with headphones, only a video out cable is needed. To connect your pandora to music devices, you're probably going to use audio in and/or out. To watch a movie, you will need video and audio out. For some things you may need a long cable (e.g. connection to a TV), for others a medium-length cable suffices (e.g. connection to projector), for others a short cable will do (e.g. if little interaction is needed, like when playing songs on a stereo or watching a movie).

When you're on the road, you don't want to have to bring a backpack to carry the cable needed for the device that fits in your pocket. A short cable will still fit in your pocket. In most cases, the long cable with the male connectors at the end will be available with the appliance it is needed for, and even if it isn't, it should be relatively easy to find/buy one. And even if you prefer to have a long cable with you to be sure, then you certainly don't want to carry around a cable that is way heavier than needed because it has wires for stuff you don't need (e.g. in my case, I would typically only use SVideo and audio out, so half of the wires would just be redundant, adding unneeded weight and cost).

I need one of these ext cable and like many of you I already pay for it a long time ago to Craig.

Now I know they're comming, I can/will pay again if needed.

So please clarify the situation.

Congrats for the first queue event :D

50 defective pcbs at dragonbox? Looks like stuff from Circuit Co :( .
Apparently Craig has had like five hundred returns. ;)

He recently told ED he's going to ship them back to ED for possible recovery..... but we will see

:D :D :D Fantastic addition to an already good day ( Spring break tomorrow , giant duct tape and paper paper hornet + Pandora now in hand ) .

My pandora is in UK at a friend at the moment. He will bring it to me next week. But he did provide a picture of the box and the pandora. So I can see the its silver/platinum colour.

And I see that I got the uk plug, I forgot to tell I need the EU plug so thats my own fault since the shipping adress was in UK.

But is there any way that my friend can see if this really is the 1Ghz version. He is not a computer person, and with zero linux experience, so I'm primarly asking if its any difference on the apearence that tells the version?

If not, is there any obvious ways to spot it if I manage to convince him to try to connect the battery and turn it on?

My pandora is in UK at a friend at the moment. He will bring it to me next week. But he did provide a picture of the box and the pandora. So I can see the its silver/platinum colour.

And I see that I got the uk plug, I forgot to tell I need the EU plug so thats my own fault since the shipping adress was in UK.
Send me an inquiry on www.dragonbox.de so that I'll ship you a EU plug.

But is there any way that my friend can see if this really is the 1Ghz version. He is not a computer person, and with zero linux experience, so I'm primarly asking if its any difference on the apearence that tells the version?

If not, is there any obvious ways to spot it if I manage to convince him to try to connect the battery and turn it on?
Well, it should say that on the package and inside the battery compartment ;)

@ ED : Any word on how people who pre ordered TV out cables via OP GmbH should proceed? Should they register their interest again or will your records suffice as an indication that they want a TV out cable?

Well, it should say that on the package and inside the battery compartment ;)
On my just-received 1ghz one it has written in it both 1ghz edition and rebirth edition , which I thought was the 600mhz with 512mb unit.

The stickers with serial numbers are expensive and have been created before the 1GHz units even existed... that's why still say Rebirth.

That's why we made the 1GHz stickers.

Great to read about the TV cables. I just ordered parts for making more cables, because a customer of mine needs one. One day later I read that the official cables will be available soon :-D
I'll build them anyway. Have found better cable that I used before.

Regarding the length of the official ones: Please take care that there is not too much weight pulling on the connector, when the Pandora is held in hand. Maybe it would be better to make the short cables a little longer, say, 40cm. Because then, the (probably heavy) longer connection cable to the TV can lie on something entirely and won't pull on the connector, if the Pandora is held in hand while gaming.

I guess it doesn't matter, but could you confirm that people who bought a TV out cable from craig lost their money with that too?

I guess it doesn't matter, but could you confirm that people who bought a TV out cable from craig lost their money with that too?
ooh yeah. I haven't even acknowledged that queue to stop heads from exploding..... I've accepted it

Back