Openpandora Ltd (UK) Struck off email

it's impossibly difficult to install only free software from repo.openpandora.org
How so? It seems pretty easy to only install free software to me, but I'm probably missing a subtlety in what you're talking about.

How so? It seems pretty easy to only install free software to me, but I'm probably missing a subtlety in what you're talking about.
You have to do it manually. Many PNDs don't include license information, since this is optional, and repo.openpandora.org doesn't have any filtering tools. Unless it's been fixed in my absence, you can't even view the license from PNDManager, requiring you to go to the website directly and search for whatever program you want to find out about.

Ahah, good point. I understand now. I seem to recall that license information was a proposal for the JSON communication standard; I wonder whatever happened to that.

My position is that development of proprietary software is unethical, and the fact that people are using it is a social problem. I reject the Pandora for this reason (even if it weren't for the problem of the proprietary wireless firmware and 3-D driver, it's impossibly difficult to install only free software from repo.openpandora.org), and I use Trisquel on my laptop. So yes, I am one of those "zealots". Of course, I describe myself as a free software advocate, not a free software "zealot".
I withdraw the word "zealot", it was rude. But to describe developing propriety software as "unethical" is absurd. I'm committing an immoral act because I want to make something and sell you one unit, without giving you the right and ability to copy and distribute it for free to all and sundry? How is that immoral? Why not books? Movies? Music? Photographs? Or anything else intangible? We're getting off topic here though, happy to have a genuine discussion via PM.

I'm committing an immoral act because I want to make something and sell you one unit, without giving you the right and ability to copy and distribute it for free to all and sundry?
Yes.

How is that immoral? Why not books? Movies? Music? Photographs? Or anything else intangible?
I agree that the off-topic discussion is being dragged out, so I'll just point you to the GNU Project philosophy directory and my about page:

https://gnu.org/philosophy/

http://onpon4.comule.com/about

If you want to ask me further questions in a private conversation, please use e-mail rather than PMs, since I'm not a frequenter at this forum (I've been following this topic and the one about the ICP2 with bookmarks). Either of these two will work:

onpon4@riseup.net

onpon4@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm committing an immoral act because I want to make something and sell you one unit, without giving you the right and ability to copy and distribute it for free to all and sundry?
 Yes.
No, it's about as immoral as selling a wicker basket without explaining how it's made…But I agree that it would be better if you did.

-----

Now, more on topic, I don't think it's illegal for Craig to host legal documents on ED's server as long as ED allowed him to host files on it. He has to provide a way for his clients/whatever to have access to them, he did.

There is something dodgy, how can he ask for his company to be "wiped off" when he has debts : every people that asked for a refund of their pandora pre-order?

There is something dodgy, how can he ask for his company to be "wiped off" when he has debts : every people that asked for a refund of their pandora pre-order?
He considers those customers as "handed over to ED", he has made that clear.

So, I would base speculation (once again that is all we got...) on that, because without that assumption nothing makes sense.

The odd things are these two, which documents describing the strike off process explicitly forbid:

• Has he sold company merchandise within the last 3 months?
    He has sold stuff on gbax.com and ebay, but as long as he hasn't done it in the OPLtd company's name that is "ok, though a bit odd"
  • Note that selling for example an asset like the 3D printer would have been fine, because it is not something you sell to the customers, it is something you use to make the stuff to sell to the customers
[*]Did he really manage to inform all interested parties of this within 7 days of application submission
  • since he does not consider the Pandora customers as people who have an interest (as they "have been passed to ED"), probably yest
  • but if he does, then why did some people on these forums even receive the announcement while some did not?
Basically there seems to be odd inconsistencies in his actions regarding these two things.

Does he hope we assume he has covered his back and thus do not try to dig into it, or has he really managed to cover his back?

Inconsistencies continue:

It has turned out in another thread he also has another company in his desk drawer, a "OpenPandora distribution" or whatever company. Has he applied strike off to that too? If not, why is he in such a hurry to strike off this one? To my understanding, if new information comes to light the strike off can be cancelled even after it has been approved (though, I do not know how expensive that is).

This process he has started would, the way I read it, typically be started for a company that has been dormant for longer than OPLtd.

All in all, it's a mess.

One of the earlier emails that appeared on this forum stated that he consulted a lawyer about this action. If this was the best, "cleanest" option the lawyer could come up with I'm really surprised. I read that as "things are pretty bad so they can't get much worse, so why not try this, you no longer got nothing to loose...".

Of course it could be as he says: Liquidation proceedings are not free(?), so he figured this is a cheaper option to get rid of OPLtd. But if so, then why not just let it hang around, as it has this far?

Whatever. He's practically gotten away with it already... anyone would be mad to dirty their hands in that mess, because they'd have to base their moves on assumptions ans speculation while he has at least some facts. That is probably what he's betting on too.

He has sold stuff on gbax.com and ebay, but as long as he hasn't done it in the OPLtd company's name that is "ok, though a bit odd"
Technically the eBay says weren't from OPLtd, however, I suppose as they were owned by OPLtd, there must have been a "sale" to Jacquelyn so she could resell them?

Jacquelyn is one of the directors of OP Ltd.  The ebay listing even had the business address of OP Ltd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back