Release Otter browser

Hi all, and Happy New Year !!! :)

Otter Browser v.0.9.04 is out today ! @ ptitSeb: could you please update your package to reflect the latest changes ?

Thanks and cheers, Magic Sam
For now, no, I cannot. I have changed my Qt5 build (updated to stable 5.4.0) but Otter doesn't work since then. I have to find a stable build config for Qt5, but that take a huge amout of time each time I try something (Qt5 take 2 to 3 day non stop to compile).

So when I have a stable build of otter (that doesn't segfault once you load a page), I'll update PND...

Hi ptitSeb !

No problem, there's no hurry :) Thanks for your time and efforts, it's really appreciated !

Cheers, Magic Sam

New build on the repo.

I upgraded Qt to latest stable (5.4.0, but still using webKit) and latest Git sources. Now JS that were more or less working before should work fine, and Jpeg are shown now.

Build 02

----------

• Using latest sources
  • Using Qt 5.4.0
  • Fixed JS issues
  • Fixed Jpeg issues

Hi :)

@ ptitSeb: thank you very much for the update !

Cheers, Magic Sam (posting from Otter Browser)

It might just be the best browser on Pandora yet! At least it clearly one of the fastest, I need to do benchmarks... but it feels faster than both Qupzilla and Pale Moon.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I get the websites to use the same font(s) that are used by Pale Moon while displaying them? Also, is it possible to shrink the size of its PND?

Btw, I did a rough estimation of page loading between it and Pale Moon. Its around 20 seconds faster when loading 4 tabs all at once via a keyword assigned to a bookmark folder (which gets removed when closing and opening it back up). 

otter-browser can be translated here https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/otter-browser/

Been using it since it came out.

My gripes are vertical tab stacking with horizontal labels doesnt work.

And for some reason altGR+2 switches tabs, every time i want to input an @ i have to open something else to do it.

Edit:

Interface> ShowMenuBar = false  saves some space

How do I get the websites to use the same font(s) that are used by Pale Moon while displaying them? Also, is it possible to shrink the size of its PND?
Fonts: no ideas.

Reduce Size: I'm afraid not. I have to embend mostly all QT runtime. It is stripped, but still a huge collection of libs.

Btw, I did a rough estimation of page loading between it and Pale Moon. Its around 20 seconds faster when loading 4 tabs all at once via a keyword assigned to a bookmark folder (which gets removed when closing and opening it back up).
It is very fast indeed.

otter-browser can be translated here https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/otter-browser/

Been using it since it came.

My gripes are vertical tab stacking with horizontal labels doesnt work.

And for some reason altGR+2 switches tabs, every time i want to input an @ i have to open something else to do it.

Edit:

Interface> ShowMenuBar = false  saves some space
altgr-2??? I guess you are using an external keyboard.

One thing that does not work in Otter is Japanese input. But that's probably related to QT ?
Yeah, but may be I'm missing a lib in my build env, which make QT build without Japanese (and probably other language) support. But which one?!

Oh, is it possible for it to support Flash? If so, please include it in the next build that you upload. Thanks in advance.

I should test this browser when I find time. I was not convinced with the "Pale Moon" browser to be honest and since I use Opera on PC as my main browser I would like to have that feeling on the Pandora, especialy the almighty "fit to width" option (if availabel on Otter) would solve all size issues you may have when browsing on an 800x480 screen. :)

Here's the contents of its .out file which has a bunch of errors in it:

=======================================================================================
PND             : /media/PANDORA-SD1/pandora/apps/otter_ptitseb.pnd
PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs
APPDATADIR      : /media/PANDORA-SD1/pandora/appdata/otter
APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>
EXENAME         : runscript.sh
ARGUMENTS       : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop1" "/mnt/utmp/otter"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/PANDORA-SD1/pandora/appdata/otter=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/otter=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/otter"
[SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( runscript.sh  ) ----------
WSEGL_InitialiseDisplay: DRI2OpenConnection failed
Warning: Qt: Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed ((null):0, (null))
Warning: Cant find EGLConfig, returning null config ((null):0, (null))
Warning: Unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config 0 ((null):0, (null))
Warning: Could not initialize OpenGL for RasterGLSurface, reverting to RasterSurface. ((null):0, (null))
Warning: Using blocking call! ((null):0, (null))
Warning: Unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config 0 ((null):0, (null))
Warning: Could not initialize OpenGL for RasterGLSurface, reverting to RasterSurface. ((null):0, (null))
Debug: QNetworkReplyImpl::_q_startOperation was called more than once ((null):0, (null))
Warning: QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 2 ((null):0, (null))
Warning: QPainter::setRenderHint: Painter must be active to set rendering hints ((null):0, (null))
Warning: QPainter::setBrush: Painter not active ((null):0, (null))
Warning: QPainter::pen: Painter not active ((null):0, (null))
Warning: QPainter::setPen: Painter not active ((null):0, (null))
Warning: QPainter::end: Painter not active, aborted ((null):0, (null))
Warning: QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap ((null):0, (null))
Warning: QIODevice::write: device not open ((null):0, (null))
Warning: load glyph failed err=6 face=0x74fdb8, glyph=2709 ((null):0, (null))
Fusion_Power: There's no "Fit to Width" option available (yet).

@Zero3K: use spoiler tags.

I guess your are using a Gigahertz with 4.10 SGX driver. QT is not compatible with those driver, so it revert back to software rendring (but it still works). Go back to 4.03.00.2 driver and it should work with no error.

About flash, I tried (and the flash lib is included), but I cannot get it to work (yet?).

I guess your are using a Gigahertz with 4.10 SGX driver. QT is not compatible with those driver, so it revert back to software rendring (but it still works). Go back to 4.03.00.2 driver and it should work with no error.

About flash, I tried (and the flash lib is included), but I cannot get it to work (yet?).
1. Ok. I will do that.

2. Did you try asking for help with getting it to work from someone in its IRC channel? 

1. Ok. I will do that.

2. Did you try asking for help with getting it to work from someone in its IRC channel? 
Nope, but you can and report here the results.

Fusion_Power: There's no "Fit to Width" option available (yet).
Ouch.  :(

It's basicly the main reason why I still stick to Opera 12 on my PC, the new "Chromera" also doesn't have this option anymore and Firefox never had. I recently learned that these engines are not even able to do this nice site-re-formatting to fit the width to the screen. That's why many people do not even have an Idea how powerful this function actualy is. You can zoom your site (and so the text) as big as you want and the site stil ldoes fit in the screen, no horizontal scrolling is needed. :)

I really miss that on the Pandora for obvious reasons.

Back