Pandora Apps Some Thoughts ....

Swarm

Still Fresh
I received my Pandora today and have been browsing the application repository which is great.

However there are (at least in the few that I have clicked on) very few reviews of the games and applications which will guide new users to pick good stuff to get going on their Pandora straight away.

Even Super Geometry Wars has only 2 comments (and it is a great game !!).

It would be great if we could start to review and comment on some of the games so that it becomes more of a community resource rather than just a repository.

This would help user adoption , I know there is stuff scattered through the forum and on blogs but this should be the one place you can go and have up to date versions of the software and at least one review.

More than happy to contribute to reviewing :) but it kind of needs all of us to do it and keep it up to date.

What do you all think?

Swarm

I wonder if the lack of a commenting feature on any PND downloaders/updaters contributes to this...

Anyway, I agree! Someone say something about Project: Starfighter! :p I recommend Project: Starfighter, by the way. Then again, I have a sort of bias, having ported this particular game to the Pandora.

More on topic, yeah, more comments would certainly be a good thing, and I suppose more ratings would help as well (though personally, I think there will always be a problem with anonymous 5-star ratings). One of the PND managers needs to have a commenting feature for this to realistically happen, I think.

Maybe milkshake could include a feature in the repo for userreviwes, like on amazon etc.

But somebody would have to take the time to write something, too.

I've noticed people rarely rate the games on the repo let alone comment on them.

I've noticed people rarely rate the games on the repo let alone comment on them.

We need to be better at it :) , what is the latest version of Super Geometry Dust ? The one in the forum or the one in the repository. Why do we put pnd files in the forum if we have a repository ?

I have been away from this for a long time... and lost track of who is doing what :)

Guess I am just going through what all newbies would go through , but if we want to attract more newbies , we need them to be able to spend more time playing and using their device and spreading the good word and less looking for where everything is. IMHO anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
People release pnds on the forum, if they are for testing/not quite working most of the time.

The repo should have the latest stable versions.

It would be great to see more people rating / commenting upon software downloaded from the Repo. I've given this a bit of thought after posting this last year.

IMHO the Pandora community don't do too badly when it comes to rating & commenting, have a look at the Maemo downloads page for a comparison. There are plenty of games that have had 100,000+ downloads with just a handful of ratings.

However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to do better.

I wonder if the lack of a commenting feature on any PND downloaders/updaters contributes to this...

Agreed, when using PNDStore / Panorama / PNDManager it would be great to see an ability to log in to the repo and rate and comment upon apps whilst waiting for your download to finish.

Its a pity there aren't more reviews, because there are some true gems in the repo's, which are hell fun to browse and randomly try stuff these days.

WordWarVI is my current favourite game, still. I can't get enough of its random shoot value.

I keep out of the apps zone until I have my Pandora delivered and ready to d/l as I would only be wanting to try what I find in there.

I will comment and rate though when the time comes, it would be good to have more of that, I know I always read comments in android market when d/l apps

Yes, the option to to login to the repo with pndmanager would be great!

It may not be so easy though...

Would be interesting to hear what B-ZaR and milkshake has to say about this.

Also uploading apps via pndmanager would be really cool someday, but that can wait ;)

So I was very confused , i ended up at Pandora Apps section following the links in the resources section of the forum which took me to the Pandora Apps page where everything seemed a little out of date. I have now found the repo which looks a lot better :) I am running the pndmanager which is taking ages to update .... maybe a problem my side ? [note to self , turn the wifi back on].

Getting there slowly but surely :)

Yes, repo.openpandora.org is the most up to date place and has most apps. The other appstore is only there for legacy reasons as you cannot connect to it with appmanagers easily.

Pndmanager should update as fast as your connection is, but if you have many apps to update, it will download everything in parallel, what makes it a bit slow maybe.

Yeah its fine now , though sadly i think there is something a bit amiss with my touchscreen it feels horrid ... I have calibrated it :( has to be pressed hard to get it to do anything ... any magic tweaks i need to make.

Try the 2.6 Kernel. There were some tweaks, that didn't make it into 3.2 until now afaik.

I would love to be able to allow clients to log into the repo but I dont know what the best way would be for the 2 to do their handshake securely enough.

I would love to be able to allow clients to log into the repo but I dont know what the best way would be for the 2 to do their handshake securely enough.

repo.openpandora.org/rate/milkyhelper

POST=

user = 'username'

password = 'password in sha/md5 whatever your repo uses'

rate = 0-100

That's some simple way thought out atm...

Maybe similarly you could give json list for paid apps this way for user to download(?).

[...] I dont know what the best way would be for the 2 to do their handshake securely enough.
That shouldn't be the showstopper.

Could you explain what exactly you mean, e.g. where exactly your problems are?

Back