Pandora Debian ports .. state of affairs? Or all firmwares, post your status! :)

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
I've not had the time lately to keep up, so I've lost track of where things are with a few firmware builds. (On the upside, my twins are now 5.5 months old .. woowoo :)

Debian --

There was stuckie's effort, but as he's hacking on his js-runner project, I imagine he's been letting the ol' debian one go by the way side? Whats the status there, Stuckie ol man?

There was also PanDebian debootstrap effort IIRC, separate to stuckie's.. but I completely forget.

Whats about best Debian on Pandora option right now?

Gentoo --

Anyone know where thats at these days?

Arch --

Anyone know?

Slack --

Looks like we're in for a treat when the compo releases come :)

Android --

There were two; cpasjute's quick hack (not usable, but running!) and also ... I forget his name, but the fellow who worked on it for University, and has moved on; usable, but without hwaccel and some other issues. How well did that work.. anyone actually running it?

Any others?

(man, I wish I had more time, I'd do a BSD userland port, but.. forget it :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Very likely.

But better not use Gnome, ie Xfce or LXDE will be better choices as they are lighter.

Anyway, the newer Ubuntu makes me wonder if it's really a good choice.

Arch / Plugapps by wejp seemed to run pretty well. There were some missing features on kernel-level IIRC.

And I run PanDebian regularly. Installation took hours, but totally worth it, although I haven't tried it with the experimental kernel yet.

Arch / Plugapps by wejp seemed to run pretty well. There were some missing features on kernel-level IIRC.

And I run PanDebian regularly. Installation took hours, but totally worth it, although I haven't tried it with the experimental kernel yet.

works fine with thw experimwntal Kernel as well (at least LibreOffice I have tested).

Very likely.

But better not use Gnome, ie Xfce or LXDE will be better choices as they are lighter.

Anyway, the newer Ubuntu makes me wonder if it's really a good choice.

The latest Ubuntu is a failure. The Unity and Gnome 3 interfaces both 'get in the way' of desktop computing.

I have been going through evaluating a pile of different desktop builds. The two that have come out on top are:

1. Linux Mint KDE

2. Linux Mint Debian XFCE

Right now I'm using Linux Mint KDE - and I'm about 90% sure it's going to be my desktop of choice. If you haven't seen the Mint offerings, they're well worth the look.

I don't think they have a Mint on ARM release though. For that, maybe Debian XFCE has an ARM release buried somewhere? Debian does a good job of hiding their alternate installs.

Another DE, roughly based on Gnome 2, is Cinnamon. Although it's not complete yet, it already is a good alternative if you're looking for a "Windows" type of workspace like the KDE/XFCE/Gnome 2 family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back