Pandora Gaming League

Interested in a pandora gaming league?

• Total voters

DrCJBoduma

Website
Visit site
What about a little gaming league for Pandora Users.

The basic idea being:

• you sign up
  • decide on a game and challenge(emulator/settings etc)(high score/best time etc)
  • play game and submit score (relying on honour??)
  • rank results and assign points
  • repeat (until the fun has gone)

Similar to these(but pandora-centric)
http://www.yakyak.org/viewforum.php?f=24
http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/forum/35045/

Any thoughts

CJ

PS - Obviously would only start once majority of people have pandoras to hand

I'm interested but I'd prefer if we solely play games with "16-bit" gfx or better. Including PC Engine/TurboGrafx which is an 8bit-console but has colorful 16-bit-like gfx. The SNES' CPU is also 8bit but has 16-bit gfx.

^ Of course the above statements aren't technically very accurate, but you know what I mean...

So how about a league where only games out of these systems get played:

Amiga
Super NES
Sega Mega Drive / Genesis
PC Engine / TurboGrafx-16
Sharp X68000
MSX2
Acorn Archimedes
Neo Geo
Sega 32X
Sega CD
1987-1999 Arcade games
GameBoy Advance
Sony Playstation
Nintendo 64
Sega Dreamcast ;)

I mean, the GP32 already had almost perfect NES-, Master System-, C64-, GameBoy-, Atari VCS-, MSX1- and Spectrum-emulators.
Let's play something that looks and sounds good on our Pandora instead. :)

why would you exclude certain consoles? not fair on them that love atari and what not anything with 8bit graphics or less? not saying i do love them but still you shouldn't penalise those that do like them.

But it could also be a penalty for the other 98% participants if one wants to play some obscure Spectrum-title. ;)

I voted yes :) Sounds like a great idea to me :D
Hopefully I'll have my Pandora by October ^.^

I'm not too sure what to vote yet, but the High Score Challenges on the AtariAge forum always sounded kind of fun to me - I'm guessing this would be like that?

I also assume there wouldn't be any obligation to take part in any given challenge if you didn't own (or didn't like :lol: ) the game that had been chosen, or you didn't have the time? :p

I can imagine this being great fun with arcade titles, especially.

We should do an online league too.
Have a multiplayer game with rankings.

john4p said:
But it could also be a penalty for the other 98% participants if one wants to play some obscure Spectrum-title. ;)

Maybe, but at least NES is way more popular than most of those things you listed so by that argument it shouldn't be excluded. They're also games that are more likely to have an actual score counter, although I'm sure some other metrics would be preferable for different kinds of games.

By your second argument, GP2X and Wiz had pretty high quality Genesis, PC-Engine, and NeoGeo emulators, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, out of all the 8bit-systems the NES had definitely the best games with timeless quality-gameplay.

But Speccie- and C64-titles have mostly just nostalgic value for the people who played them as children. Rarely do they have really good gameplay.

It would be sad if this league would become exactly like this one: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/forum/35045/ which is dominated by Spectrum- and C64-titles.

About the score-counters: among the systems listed above there are still more suitable good games with a score-counter than we could ever play through.

Still it's an egoistical attitude. Well, then let's not restrict the systems choice.
Hopefully the majority will mostly vote for 16-bittish games.

Sounds like fun, but only if I don't have something else I'd rather do. :unsure: It probably depends on the game.

@john4p: I wouldn't worry about it, just vote for ones that looks fun. I'm partial to newer games, personally.

john4p said:
But Speccie- and C64-titles have mostly just nostalgic value for the people who played them as children. Rarely do they have really good gameplay.
You'd better tell that to all of the new-to-me C64 and Spectrum (I never had a Spectrum as a kid!) games that I'm having a blast with. There's no nostalgia when you've never played something before. :p

if this is gonna be done and measured online it needs to be done properly like on the xbox360 where you have a login/username for it. Web-based could be done with an simple API so that devs can be build it directly into the game itself and send the scores/achievements or (if needed due to difficulty of pulling score direct from loaded rom/iso) screenshots direct from the game/emulator/emulated game to online now that would be AMAZING!!! what do people think?

WHAT! wash out your mouth with soap RIGHT NOW! :angry: how DARE you say Spectrum and C64 games had no gameplay?, you can only be speaking from such a position of total, infinite and unbounded ignorance, that you are obviously NOT qualified to speak on such matters :p Spectrum and C64 had some of the BEST games in all time, even now some of those games are classics, Spectrum especialy had so many unique and classic games, I can only assume you never owned one or saw one in action, shame on you <_<

some "trivial" games

Elite
Chuckie egg
Sentinel
Jet set willy
3d ant attack
attic attack
dizzy series
R type
3d construction kit
Journeys end
Rifts of time
Zombie Zombie
Quicksilvas game maker
Way of the exploding fist
and about a couple of thousand unique and time eating games

just nostalgic?, hand in your geek card...doors over there ---> [] <---hey look!, 8 bit door gfx! :D

milkshake said:
if this is gonna be done and measured online it needs to be done properly like on the xbox360 where you have a login/username for it. Web-based could be done with an simple API so that devs can be build it directly into the game itself and send the scores/achievements or (if needed due to difficulty of pulling score direct from loaded rom/iso) screenshots direct from the game/emulator/emulated game to online now that would be AMAZING!!! what do people think?
I, personally, think I would rather do something on the honour system than waste my resources on something that feels a need to tell me I've "achieved" something, when I'm already capable of ascertaining whether I have done something. :p

Also I suspect (though of course I'm not that technical and could very well be wrong :p ) that dealing with scores and artificial "achievements" in emulated games would probably be fairly tricky in any way that would cover a majority of titles.

Prometheus said:
I, personally, think I would rather do something on the honour system than waste my resources on something that feels a need to tell me I've "achieved" something, when I'm already capable of ascertaining whether I have done something. :p

Also I suspect (though of course I'm not that technical and could very well be wrong :p ) that dealing with scores and artificial "achievements" in emulated games would probably be fairly tricky in any way that would cover a majority of titles.

the achievements think was just an idea :) and also I agree for emulated games this could be tricky which is why I mentioned a simple screenshot upload from the emulator instead i.e. pause the game press dedicated key to snap screenshot and upload to our "online" system if we make one that is.

however for native games I think this upload scores/achievements thing would be a doddle to implement.

@hobbyman II & Prometheus: Okay, okay. Maybe I just have missed the really good Spectrum- and C64-titles.

But R-Type and Elite aren't good examples. Elite is best on Amiga and the the Speccie-/C64-versions of R-Type just can't compare to the original arcade version. Pandora can emulate the best versions of these games at full speed.

milkshake said:
the achievements think was just an idea :)
I'm just an old curmudgeon, don't mind me. :p

and also I agree for emulated games this could be tricky which is why I mentioned a simple screenshot upload from the emulator instead i.e. pause the game press dedicated key to snap screenshot and upload to our "online" system if we make one that is.
I wonder if SomeGuy's screenshot tutorial will work here? If it does, then it would only require participants to set it up as per the guide. :D I'll give it a try shortly.

john4p said:
@hobbyman II & Prometheus: Okay, okay. Maybe I just have missed the really good Spectrum- and C64-titles.

But R-Type and Elite aren't good examples. Elite is best on Amiga and the the Speccie-/C64-versions of R-Type just can't compare to the original arcade version. Pandora can emulate the best versions of these games at full speed.
I think the best examples are things that were exclusive to the micros, myself, as opposed to being arcade conversions (although there were certainly some excellent arcade conversions, too, that said). :p They weren't necessarily exclusive to any one machine, but this did make for some fascinating alternate versions across the C64, Spectrum, and Amstrad CPC464, I think.

Prometheus said:
I wonder if SomeGuy's screenshot tutorial will work here? If it does, then it would only require participants to set it up as per the guide. :D I'll give it a try shortly.
yeah thats the idea but what i ment was instead of you personally taking a screenshot which saves to your memory card or home folder like in someguys tutorial have a button configured for the emulator to take a screenshot maybe as simple as telling it to do what someguy does in his tutorial but it would then automatically upload it for you taking any hassle of you having to manually upload.
K.I.S.S method works best (keep it simple stupid)

Back