Pandora Owners: Any Other Hardware Issues?

chickendung

TO THE TRENTON TAR PITS!
Website
i currently do not have a website.com
I've been watching Astewardson's videos on YouTube (which are great by the way), and the two hardware issues he has are an unresponsive up direction on the D-Pad, and a sticking left shoulder button. So, if anyone has other serious issues, it would be nice if we could get an idea of what we might expect when it comes to hardware faults.

OP: Are you adjusting the manufacturing process to fix faults that are showing up, such as the bent screen bezel at the bottom of the screen, or are you going to request another case revision?

ED said only one unit they currently have, have the screen bevel
he thinks its the copper tape required for CE and so they are just rechecking them before they ship to fix them
so no case revision (definately not a design flaw)

the shoulder button probably needs sanded or used more, dpad no idea

OP also seem to be working to fix all flaws (theyve actually been quite good at this)

btw post the vid

chickendung said:
I've been watching Astewardson's videos on YouTube (which are great by the way), and the two hardware issues he has are an unresponsive up direction on the D-Pad, and a sticking left shoulder button. So, if anyone has other serious issues, it would be nice if we could get an idea of what we might expect when it comes to hardware faults.

The sticking shoulder button only happened on the first units, since we already fixed that since we were aware of that problem and posted that days ago in the blog. Same for the DPad, we test all units completely since then - Audio, WiFi, Controls, Volume Wheels (since a few were rubbing the case a bit) etc. before shipping them out.
And all stiff DPads wear out after a while (some user posted that it happened with his DPad already here at the boards).

OP: Are you adjusting the manufacturing process to fix faults that are showing up, such as the bent screen bezel at the bottom of the screen, or are you going to request another case revision?

If you read the other thread, you should've already found out that that doesn't need any case revision as it is simply something you need to be careful while assembling.

So all faults you mentioned are already fixed and we don't know of any other ones.

The only change in the case we need are increasing the holes of the shoulder buttons so that they don't stick - and that's what we currently do manually.
(that happened because the paint made it a tiny bit thicker)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
And all stiff DPads wear out after a while (some user posted that it happened with his DPad already here at the boards).
Pleng's DPad had difficulty registering down, but it cleared right up after being broken in, as some DPads often do. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
chickendung said:

I've not read every post of every thread either, but from what I've sene OP have been adjusting their assembly/QC process in light of each issue as it pops up so as to minimise the occurance of such issues later on, in addition to suggesting possible remedial action to the existing Pandora owners suffering from whichever issue.

What about the lid gap that shows on the left side above the power button when closed? Has that been rectified hopefully? :)

rmm21 said:
What about the lid gap that shows on the left side above the power button when closed? Has that been rectified hopefully? :)

Can never be, since the hinge is on the right side and is pushing it further down than it is on the left side.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
rmm21 said:

Can never be, since the hinge is on the right side and is pushing it further down than it is on the left side.

Surely this is a design flaw?

SomeGuy99 said:
EvilDragon said:
rmm21 said:

I'm pretty sure ED is just referring the side that opens versus the hinge side and how the hinge side is pushing down and causing a slight gap, NOT specifically the slight warping-ish gap noticed on the left side of one of the photographed units.

Tensuke said:
EvilDragon said:
Pleng's DPad had difficulty registering down, but it cleared right up after being broken in, as some DPads often do. :)

Yes it's true. An I have to admit that the d-pad is really, really good! I've never found it so easy to do the specials in Streetfighter II.

Arkay Firestar said:
SomeGuy99 said:
EvilDragon said:
rmm21 said:
I'm pretty sure ED is just referring the side that opens versus the hinge side and how the hinge side is pushing down and causing a slight gap, NOT specifically the slight warping-ish gap noticed on the left side of one of the photographed units.

Wild conjecture on my part:

I'm assuming the hinge mechanism is sprung somehow to help it lock open and shut, and that's what ED is referring to; but having played around with an old Macbook at work, I wonder if maybe the side with the hall-effect magnet is holding the lid shut tighter than the other side?

If that is the case (and I admit it probably isn't), maybe the difference in closure could be rectified by adding a second "dummy" magnet to the other side of the lid?

SomeGuy99 said:
EvilDragon said:
rmm21 said:

This is not a design flaw. And don't call me Surely.

sorry, could not resist :)

Arkay Firestar said:
SomeGuy99 said:
EvilDragon said:
rmm21 said:

Ah ok. Well, I had a look at my DS Lite and is has a very tiny gap on one side too. How big is it on the Pandora? Are we talking 1mm? 2mm?

hch said:

Just wanted to say to you both: Good luck. We're all counting on you.

pawprints said:
Is it likely the sticking shoulder buttons will improve over time?

You need to understand it's just a few units which have that problem and it's related to the paint. It's not like every Pandora has bad shoulder buttons.

The QC we are doing is amazing. Everything is checked THREE times in three different rooms.

But you have never get a 100% rate. No company can pull that off.

pawprints said:
Is it likely the sticking shoulder buttons will improve over time?
The more you use it, the better it'll work, rejoice, it's the perfect excuse to play a lot on your pandora :lol:

SomeGuy99 said:
hch said:

Just wanted to say to you both: Good luck. We're all counting on you.

airplane-3.jpg

I'm in no doubt that issues have been looked at and resolved in later builds. :) I was just looking for a yes or no answer for me personally and I'm sure there are only a handful of pandora owners with sticky shoulder buttons :) Every other aspect of this pandora I'm really happy with.

Any suggests of games that use the L and R buttons exccesively? :) I'm really liking snes emulation, I think so far it's the highlight of my pandora experience. I'll be glued to the thing when megadrive is emulated.

Oh and thanks for making a nice little unit. One final question. What is the limit on legal CPU speed? It's set at 500 is it ok to set at 600?

Back