Pandora RAM upgrade?

Barnaby

Website
Visit site
Hey everyone, I've been away from the community for a while so I'm not quite up to speed on everything. My Pandora's been suffering from the Purple Tint of Death for a couple of months now so I'm getting ready to ship it off (I've already filled out my RMA), but I remembered somewhere that it was mentioned newer Pandora's would have 512MB RAM, and there was talk of some kind of upgrade system for those who have a 256MB unit. I was wondering if this ever came to fruition, and if it ever did, how much did it cost? I'm sending my Pandora to Germany to get it repaired so if I do upgrade, now would be the time to do so!

I like using it for web browsing rather than carry a laptop around, but I always run into out of memory errors on Chrome (I used to use Firefox until it refused to boot up - it always, always says there's a copy of Firefox already running. Even though I've deleted it off my SD card and replaced it with a different version, and even flashed the OS to try to get it to work again. Maybe it IS always running which would explain how I run into out of mem issues on Chrome with one tab open). So if the upgrade is affordable I'd like to go for it. I've searched around the forums a bit but I can't really find anything about it.

EvilDragon is indeed planning to do some kind of second hand market.

No official news from him since.

(I used to use Firefox until it refused to boot up - it always, always says there's a copy of Firefox already running. Even though I've deleted it off my SD card and replaced it with a different version, and even flashed the OS to try to get it to work again. Maybe it IS always running which would explain how I run into out of mem issues on Chrome with one tab open)
What are you deleting? You need to delete the appdata directory associated with Firefox, but it sounds like you're deleting the PND, which won't do anything (since no data is stored on the PND).

Actually, you technically don't need to delete the appdata directory entirely, just the "lock" file. There's something on the Mozilla website about that.

Personally, what I do is save the profile outside of the appdata directory, so when this kind of thing happens, I can just delete the appdata directory without having to restore my settings and bookmarks (and instead I can just have the newly created profile point to the same place).

Ah Ok, thank you :) . Guess I'll just sent my Pandora back ASAP then... it's been too long since I've been able to properly enjoy it 'cause of the PTOD. Shame I couldn't get it upgraded at the same time though.

You probably can upgrade your board now, since boards are regularly being produced. You should email ED and ask him about it.

Where can I find his email? I wasn't sure if I should contact one of the sales emails for his shop, since I didn't buy from him, I bought from the UK (I emailled them and they gave me the RMA form and Evildragon's postage address)

Hey everyone, I've been away from the community for a while so I'm not quite up to speed on everything. My Pandora's been suffering from the Purple Tint of Death for a couple of months now so I'm getting ready to ship it off (I've already filled out my RMA), but I remembered somewhere that it was mentioned newer Pandora's would have 512MB RAM, and there was talk of some kind of upgrade system for those who have a 256MB unit. I was wondering if this ever came to fruition, and if it ever did, how much did it cost? I'm sending my Pandora to Germany to get it repaired so if I do upgrade, now would be the time to do so!

I like using it for web browsing rather than carry a laptop around, but I always run into out of memory errors on Chrome (I used to use Firefox until it refused to boot up - it always, always says there's a copy of Firefox already running. Even though I've deleted it off my SD card and replaced it with a different version, and even flashed the OS to try to get it to work again. Maybe it IS always running which would explain how I run into out of mem issues on Chrome with one tab open). So if the upgrade is affordable I'd like to go for it. I've searched around the forums a bit but I can't really find anything about it.

No 512MB upgrade program yet. I suspect that kind of work will need to wait until after they have a chunk of pre-orders shipped and happy.

PTOD is cured with a new video cable. Either RMA or if you're moderate-high skilled in electronics repair, replace it yourself by purchasing a replacement. Do not expect a 512MB board to come back by sending an RMA for PTOD.

Firefox - delete this directory and all of it's contents:

/media/YOURSD/pandora/appdata/hdonk_firefox_001

Then start the PND. It's a shotgun approach in case you can't find the "lock file" or if, as in my case, there simply wasn't one. You'll loose any saved bookmarks, etc., but it should start working again.

Ah Ok, thank you :) . Guess I'll just sent my Pandora back ASAP then... it's been too long since I've been able to properly enjoy it 'cause of the PTOD. Shame I couldn't get it upgraded at the same time though.
Out of curiosity, where would you be sending your Pandora for repair from, country wise?

Back