Pandora Rebirth Competition (2012-01-09)

Re: Quake

As the VVVVVV port was mentioned as a good entry example for the competition, another port where the user needed additional content to play would be allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
it feels like I've been waiting for 3 years but i think its only 2. idk, i lost track. yay coding competition. woooo

Re: Quake

As the VVVVVV port was mentioned as a good entry example for the competition, another port where the user needed additional content to play would be allowed.
In that case, I hope for you that Introversion allows you to release that Uplink port before the competition deadline ;)

Have been working on a little pocket game for a little while, the actual plan is to have it free on a set of open handhelds (including pandora), but I would charge a dollar for desktops and phones/pad.

The game is not complete yet but it should by the timeline of the compo.

Is this ok?

Evildragon, can you expand on rule number 4, does this include any release for any platform? Does it also mean video previews viewable to public.

Videos are very welcome :)

And yeah, good idea to change Rule 4 so that you can release it for any platform except for the Pandora before :)

And yeah, good idea to change Rule 4 so that you can release it for any platform except for the Pandora before :)
Sure? Most Pandora Users have another handheld or a PC (because often games are released for Linux and Windows, too). That would destroy

the excitement, I think...

Sure? Most Pandora Users have another handheld or a PC (because often games are released for Linux and Windows, too). That would destroy

the excitement, I think...

Hm, I also own a PC or other handhelds... but somehow only play games on the Pandora (or my other consoles).

I got VVVVVV from the humble bundle but the first time I played it (and played it through) was on the Pandora :)

Hy Evildragon, I am not a programer, but since you say that there is still time to do some changes in the Rebirth Competition, I am wondering if its possible to give the programers 1 more month of time since ive read in diferent forums that 1 month and a half is very short time to program something big or challenging, I think we would all benefit from it, just one more month to give programers more time and get better software in return. :)

Thanks.

If the program is a compiler, by example, where you put the splash screens ? xD
On the terminal:

______ _ ______ _ _ _ _
| ___ \ | | | ___ \ | | (_) | | | |
| |_/ /_ _ _ __ __| | ___ _ __ __ _ | |_/ /___| |__ _ _ __| |_| |__
| __/ _` | '_ \ / _` |/ _ \| '__/ _` | | // _ \ '_ \| | '__| __| '_ \
| | | (_| | | | | (_| | (_) | | | (_| | | |\ \ __/ |_) | | | | |_| | | |
\_| \__,_|_| |_|\__,_|\___/|_| \__,_| \_| \_\___|_.__/|_|_| \__|_| |_|

_____ _ _ _ _
/ __ \ | | (_) | (_)
| / \/ ___ _ __ ___ _ __ ___| |_ _| |_ _ ___ _ __
| | / _ \| '_ ` _ \| '_ \ / _ \ __| | __| |/ _ \| '_ \
| \__/\ (_) | | | | | | |_) | __/ |_| | |_| | (_) | | | |
\____/\___/|_| |_| |_| .__/ \___|\__|_|\__|_|\___/|_| |_|
| |
|_|

Code:

Hy Evildragon, I am not a programer, but since you say that there is still time to do some changes in the Rebirth Competition, I am wondering if its possible to give the programers 1 more month of time since ive read in diferent forums that 1 month and a half is very short time to program something big or challenging, I think we would all benefit from it, just one more month to give programers more time and get better software in return. :)

Thanks.

I'd rather we didn't extend the deadline now; I've already started a low-ambition project! If it had been by end of march to begin with I would have thought of something a bit more challenging to do!

7 weeks is lots of time to build something amazing. Heck, 48 hours is enough time to build a proof of concept for something amazing. Actually, 48 hours is enough time to build something amazing, given some of the recent entries in the Ludum Dare.

Well yes, but I'm very inexperienced with programming, and I have very little free time, so in 48 hours I wouldn't even be able to make Pong!

On the terminal:

______ _ ______ _ _ _ _
| ___ \ | | | ___ \ | | (_) | | | |
| |_/ /_ _ _ __ __| | ___ _ __ __ _ | |_/ /___| |__ _ _ __| |_| |__
| __/ _` | '_ \ / _` |/ _ \| '__/ _` | | // _ \ '_ \| | '__| __| '_ \
| | | (_| | | | | (_| | (_) | | | (_| | | |\ \ __/ |_) | | | | |_| | | |
\_| \__,_|_| |_|\__,_|\___/|_| \__,_| \_| \_\___|_.__/|_|_| \__|_| |_|

_____ _ _ _ _
/ __ \ | | (_) | (_)
| / \/ ___ _ __ ___ _ __ ___| |_ _| |_ _ ___ _ __
| | / _ \| '_ ` _ \| '_ \ / _ \ __| | __| |/ _ \| '_ \
| \__/\ (_) | | | | | | |_) | __/ |_| | |_| | (_) | | | |
\____/\___/|_| |_| |_| .__/ \___|\__|_|\__|_|\___/|_| |_|
| |
|_|

Code:

lol.gif

;) I think we can make an exception here ;)

Thanks.

Hm, that would be possible. What do the others think?

I also think that we should extend the contest to the end of March.

Especially as the development vm isn't released yet (as far as I know from this thread).

When I first read it i thought the deadline was a bit soon, at least for those that may be starting from scratch. I think adding more time could increase the chances of more entries and better content. Plus if its extended and Pandora start shipping in Feb then those people may be motivated to submit something.

Thanks.

Hm, that would be possible. What do the others think?

Yes it probably would be good. Less than 2 month is already little time, plus it's the end of the semester, so probably a lot of potential candidates will have exams in February.

Back