I want it to be called the DragonBox...

• Pyra

Votes: 126 73.7%
  • Miriad

Votes: 45 26.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh,  I replaced my 50-pound working backpack with the Pandora which fits nicely in my winter coat.  Unless, you're a game developer making games that requires Tegra 4 or Hollywood studio editing HD movies and stuff, the Pandora can do anything else, at least for me :)

Edit:  Oops, Trashy is a faster typer :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Help me understand what the symbolic and subtext relevance of Pyra/Pyrrha is to a handheld computer?
Pyrrha/Pyra is the daughter of Pandora. What does it or even Pandora have to do with a Handheld computer? who knows...
Really? It was called Pandora because of the mythos of, "Pandora's Box". It worked neat when combined with 'Open' to create Open Pandora. They even shipped the 1Ghz Pandora units in a wooden treasure chest box. Pandora's Box (really likely a jar - who care's as it's commonly called, "Pandora's Box"), was a simple construct/container/jar/box that contained all sorts of things that were far beyond what you'd expect to find in said simple container.

Pandora's Box contained things bigger and more exciting than the container itself. This concept is pretty common in storytelling. The cornucopia for example. The statement, "It's what's inside that counts." It's the whole concept of the capabilities being beyond appearances.

Calling the original device, "Pandora" was rather ingenious. It had depth of meaning - and was truly applicable to a tiny device with huge and far reaching capabilities inside.

It would have been nice to have a name with such far reaching implications for the successor device. Instead it looks like we're going to get what essentially means, "The woman with red hair who threw rocks after 'the' flood to create modern humans."

Pandora's Box contained things bigger and more exciting than the container itself. This concept is pretty common in storytelling. The cornucopia for example. The statement, "It's what's inside that counts." It's the whole concept of the capabilities being beyond appearances.
Pandora's box contained all the evils of the world.. Why was that omitted from your lofty story of it?

I'm curious what non-retro gaming owners use their Pandoras for.
Linux server maintenance & monitoring. Backing up the OS from routers while directly connected to them. Loading new OS to routers while direct connected. Troubleshooting both wired and wireless networks. Photo editing, photo file collections and selection sorting, recording to CD/DVD via USB, browsing through USB connected hard drives, playing back music loud enough to drown out jet engines at 37000 feet, creating boot floppies for obscure and obsolete hardware via a USB floppy drive, connecting the headphone audio output to a 300W/channel Yamaha PC2002M amplifier to drive the PA system for a wedding reception when the DJ's stuff broke.

Just random little stuff. Being able to play a game or two isn't such a bad thing either.

<a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora" s_box"="">Pandora's box contained all the evils of the world.. Why was that omitted from your lofty story of it?
Why do you omit that the Evil was just what ESCAPED Pandora's Box/jar? The spirit of Hope remained.

"Pandora was given a beautiful jar – with instructions not to open it under any circumstance. Impelled by her curiosity (given to her by the gods), Pandora opened it, and all evil contained therein escaped and spread over the earth. She hastened to close the container, but the whole contents had escaped, except for one thing that lay at the bottom – the Spirit of Hope named Elpis." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora's_box

"Myriad" suggests that the device is versatile, intricate, and involves a large number of people

fire has connotations of power, speed and excitement

----

Pandora's box contained all the evils of the world.. Why was that omitted from your lofty story of it?
Why do you omit that the Evil was just what ESCAPED Pandora's Box/jar? The spirit of Hope remained.
Calm down. Both of you.

I didn't want to escalate an argument, I just think Pyra is just as relevant as Pandora is or as relevant as any other name would be in the end. 

Calling the original device, "Pandora" was rather ingenious. It had depth of meaning - and was truly applicable to a tiny device with huge and far reaching capabilities inside.

It would have been nice to have a name with such far reaching implications for the successor device. Instead it looks like we're going to get what essentially means, "The woman with red hair who threw rocks after 'the' flood to create modern humans."
Women and closely familiar colors have probably been the only outcomes possible since an open majority vote was enacted.

It might have been a long enough time since I last tried to suggest this that I can repeat myself without nagging.  I say you should not name something the name of something else you think it should aspire to be or represent.  You should not name a child Michael Jordon because you liked Michael Jordon.  And you should not base a name on another name.  Never.

"What about sticking to an apparent series or line?"  No.  The people suggesting that is a good idea are the only reason that people like them suggest that that is a good idea.  It isn't a practically necessary rule, and even if it were, it is a trade off, a limitation on what the here and now creature we're trying to name can be called.  And it limits it to something that is outside of it.  Not everything does this, because nothing has to.  Name it Skrowfladus and separate the name into colors like people like to do so that people'll just call it Skrow.  "But that has nothing to do with that other hand held device I also like!  Are you trying to run away from its legacy in shame?"

You won't catch me trying to call the third one Skrowfladus 2.

HyCu goes beyond that to incorporate a form of Japanese poetry
 But only when you consider the sound of the word. Its not a group of letters I read comfortably. Much like when a product is marketed in the UK as "EZ".

I read that as "eee-zedd"? What's an "ee-zedd"? Oh right, its American. Why couldn't they just right "easy" then? - It makes me feel almost cheated. Or as if someone had slowly explained the punchline to a second-rate joke.
I actually don't mind the name HyCu; It's not bad. However, your reason for disliking "EZ" in advertisements is almost exactly the same situation as mine with "Pyra". "E-Zed" doesn't sound like "Easy" and "Pie rah" doesn't sound like "Pyrrha". It sounds wrong.

In addition I'd wager the search space for Pyrrha is a lot noisier than Pyra, even if you would probably find what you were looking for given the correct auxiliary key words.
Actually, if you're talking about the number of search results, both "Pyrrha" and "Pyrra" have at least 100k less results than "Pyra".

-God Ginrai

I didn't want to escalate an argument, I just think Pyra is just as relevant as Pandora is or as relevant as any other name would be in the end.
It's not even close to, 'as relevant'.

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15142-pandora-successor-name-final-poll/?p=299072
If Pandora was a relevant name for the P1, then surely, the name of her daughter (i.e. her biological successor) must be relevant for P1's successor.

If that is not enough for you, here is some more:

• The story of the P1 is a kind of Pyrrhic victory: it was a success (the device was produced and we have a nice community around it) but at a huge cost
  • From the wikipedia article on Deucalion: "Deucalion, with the aid of his father Prometheus, was saved from this deluge by building a chest.[2] Like the Biblical Noah and the Mesopotamian counterpart Utnapishtim, he uses his device to survive the deluge with his wife, Pyrrha." If you consider Pandora's jar/box so relevant, then perhaps this "chest" is even better -- it does not contain all possible evils + hope (with hindsight, that was very appropriate for the P1), but it is a device that allows you to survive.
  • Fire is easy to associate with evil, fire-breathing dragons.
  • Pyrrha (and Deucalion) are the ancestors of all humans, suggesting that the device might be the first in a very large and successful future line of products.

Can we do better than Miriad or Pyra? Certainly.

Are you sure?  Yes, there are names that some people (e.g. you) like better than Miriad or Pyra, but I think that is unavoidable. Is there an alternative candidate name that has more than a handful backers? I don't think so. You may think that HyCu is just objectively better in all ways, but despite pushing the name several time, it didn't really get picked up.

close this thread alreay, call the thing pyra, we'll get used to it!

It's a bit like when the double fine adventure (that was kickstarted) turned into broken age. Nobody liked it yet half a year later nobody complains.

close this thread alreay, call the thing pyra, we'll get used to it!

It's a bit like when the double fine adventure (that was kickstarted) turned into broken age. Nobody liked it yet half a year later nobody complains.
Yes, let's call it Pyra and ignore entirely that by itself(without adding letters and assumed associations) the name means ...wait for it ...potato or [funeral] pyre. Let's also ignore that internet goliath Google purchased Pyra Labs in 2003 whose first product was called "Pyra". I'm sure they'll be delighted to share the name. Furthermore, the term "Pyra" returns a total of 994,000 search hits. Not a small list of results to weed through.

Even Myriad doesn't fare much better even mispelled.  :)

I for one will enjoy my potato funeral device.

I don't see how Pyra could be any worse than Pandora and it's many references.. Spambots post about the jewelry occasionally, also we tend to get some customer support questions about the streaming internet radio on this forum.. Outside of that it isn't a big concern..

It just seem some people have sour grapes their choices don't make the cut.

EDIT: Also don't think Pyra Labs would care.. they were acquired by google, they don't exist anymore and their web application called Pyra was made in 1999..

I don't see how Pyra could be any worse than Pandora and it's many references.. Spambots post about the jewelry occasionally, also we tend to get some customer support questions about the streaming internet radio on this forum.. Outside of that it isn't a big concern..

EDIT: Also don't think Pyra Labs would care.. they were acquired by google, they don't exist anymore and their web application called Pyra was made in 1999..
You're just happy your lofty dream of gaming on a flaming potato has been fulfilled. :wacko:

You're just happy your lofty dream of gaming on a flaming potato has been fulfilled. :wacko:
A flaming potato?    sounds like an interesting Logo image! ;)   *GDR*

- Neelix

A flaming potato? sounds like an interesting Logo image! ;)
sparkly_potato_on_fire_by_candyninja-d3bc4fc.jpg

Yes, let's call it Pyra and ignore entirely that by itself(without adding letters and assumed associations) the name means ...wait for it ...potato or [funeral] pyre.
I have said this many times but it bears repeating:pick a word, any word, make something up, smash the keyboard and make something with the chaos that comes out of it. I guarantee you that whatever it is will bear some similarity to some questionable word in some language somewhere on the planet.

We could do a hell of a lot worse than "potato".

Pandora gets nearly 40 million hits. Pyra gets almost 1 million. If we were ok with the name Pandora, I think the name Pyra will also work just fine.

The problem with making the name Pyrra, instead of pyra, is that google automatically corrects Pyrra to Pyrrha. If we're telling people about our pyra, they're not going to know how to spell it, but naturally I think they would think it is spelled Pyra, not Pyrra or Pyrrha. Pyrrha has nearly 900k hits anyways, so the difference isn't huge or worth fighting over.

Is HyCu actually a candidate? Maybe it's just me, but it seems very awkward, both in letters and to say outloud...

In my opinion, Pyra is simple, it has enough symbolism, and we get to be pyrates. Honestly, what more can you possibly ask for :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back