I want it to be called the DragonBox...

• Pyra

Votes: 126 73.7%
  • Miriad

Votes: 45 26.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pyra's pronouciation in English sounds like "peer-uh" according to this. Actually, it's quite pleasant, but the're one or two negatives to using an ambiguous name.
Pyra isn't an english word.. it's most likely using the latin pronunciation. Most people will treat like an I it like they do with my or myth.

If you want to pronounce Πύρρα correctly, you'll have to learn how to pronounce y - the vowel does not exist in English. From the Wikipedia article on upsilon:

In early Greek it was pronounced like English oo [u]. In Classical Greek, it was pronounced like French u or German ü, [y]—a sound that is not found in most dialects of English. This was the case at least until the year 1030AD.[2] In Modern Greek it is pronounced like continental i or English ee, [i], and in diphthongs, [f] or [v]. In ancient Greek, it occurred in both long and short versions, but this distinction has been lost in Modern Greek.
Poora? o_O ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pyra's pronouciation in English sounds like "peer-uh" according to this. Actually, it's quite pleasant, but the're one or two negatives to using an ambiguous name.
Pyra isn't an english word.. it's most likely using the latin pronunciation. Most people will treat like an I it like they do with my or myth.
Strange it isn't pronounced like pyramid is in multiple countries. Maybe we can start a new trend. B)

... or yet a new name. Retrodragon has a nice ring to it.

Strange it isn't pronounced like pyramid is in multiple countries. Maybe we can start a new trend. B)
DragonBox Tesseract

DragonBox HyperCube

DragonBox HyCu

Maybe for the next iteration of the device sometime in 2017 or so.

Except for many people, myself included, the pandora (and any device like it) has nothing to do with retro, and far more to do with freedom and productivity.

DragonBox Tesseract
DragonBox HyperCube

DragonBox HyCu

Please no!

I have yet to see that these have any real support from the rest of the community.

To me, they sound, and look all wrong.

The first two are obscure words that lack both punch and subtext.

HyCu looks like some kind of dodgy copper compound. Or a really bad transliteration. The combinations of letters "ycu" feels jarring to read.

Pie-rah-mid
fruit_mince_pies_pyramid_2012913.jpg

What no cream? :(

Except for many people, myself included, the pandora (and any device like it) has nothing to do with retro, and far more to do with freedom and productivity.

DragonBox Tesseract

DragonBox HyperCube

DragonBox HyCu

Please no!

I have yet to see that these have any real support from the rest of the community.

To me, they sound, and look all wrong.

The first two are obscure words that lack both punch and subtext.

HyCu looks like some kind of dodgy copper compound. Or a really bad transliteration. The combinations of letters "ycu" feels jarring to read.
Tons of subtext in Tesseract and HyperCube for anyone who has passed a basic Geometry course.

HyCu goes beyond that to incorporate a form of Japanese poetry that derives grand meaning from rigid constructs. The contents are bigger than the container - the inside of the container is larger than the outside.

The 'Padora' was a container named after the one it's namesake had (Pandora's Box). That was -always- the subtext in calling it a Pandora. It had much less to do with the Greeks and far more to do with a container that is far more than it appears to be - magically so.

Pyra and Miriad are just variations of names from the Greek pantheon. They have no reference to a device - let alone one that is more than it appears to be.

It is the device/box/container that is important. Not the Greek name.

So, you don't like "ycu"? What do you have against Yokohama City University?

Pronounce it the same as you do Haiku.

Yes, it is a loosing proposition. Nobody is bothering to read these threads - they're just voting on the top line.

I'll say again I like the meaning behind your suggestion, and no real 'buts', because if the majority liked HyCu, it could grow on me and it could work.

But as it stands, Pyra just sounds better to me.

As long as there is depth to the name I don't mind... but for God's sake don't call it something utterly lame like Retrodora or Retrotron... I mean...honestly.

Except those games and emulators the multitudes of people use on their Pandoras are anything but modern, and if we think further and define what Pyrrha actually means, I'm left bewildered as to why the color red has anything to do with freedom or productivity or gaming handhelds. 

I will pronounce it Pie-rah-mid from here on out.
:)

Myriad (open and apparently infinite) Godzilla Dragon Lizardon.  I'm going to have to call something else Myridon, but I can't think of anything else as awesome as the Pandora successor.

Except those games and emulators the multitudes of people use on their Pandoras are anything but modern,
Yes...

I said "many people" not "everybody"

I don't use my Pandora for games or emulators.

The Pandora has plenty of non-retro uses. It is not an entirely retro device (in contrast to the retrode, for example)

Tons of subtext in Tesseract and HyperCube for anyone who has passed a basic Geometry course.
You may have a different definition of "basic" to mine, but the subtext I get from those is its a box with 4th level of boxiness, a box made of boxes, even more boxy than a normal box.

That doesn't say much about the device or its intended userbase, unless you want to emphasise how boxy it is.

HyCu goes beyond that to incorporate a form of Japanese poetry
But only when you consider the sound of the word. Its not a group of letters I read comfortably. Much like when a product is marketed in the UK as "EZ".

I read that as "eee-zedd"? What's an "ee-zedd"? Oh right, its American. Why couldn't they just right "easy" then? - It makes me feel almost cheated. Or as if someone had slowly explained the punchline to a second-rate joke.

If you want to pronounce Πύρρα correctly, you'll have to learn how to pronounce y - the vowel does not exist in English. From the Wikipedia article on upsilon:

In early Greek it was pronounced like English oo [u]. In Classical Greek, it was pronounced like French u or German ü, [y]—a sound that is not found in most dialects of English. This was the case at least until the year 1030AD.[2] In Modern Greek it is pronounced like continental i or English ee, [i], and in diphthongs, [f] or [v]. In ancient Greek, it occurred in both long and short versions, but this distinction has been lost in Modern Greek.
Poora? o_O ;)
The Classical Greek pronunciation is the relevant one here :)

In early Greek it was pronounced like English oo [u]. In Classical Greek, it was pronounced like French u or German ü, [y]—a sound that is not found in most dialects of English. This was the case at least until the year 1030AD.%5B2%5D In Modern Greek it is pronounced like continental i or English ee, [i], and in diphthongs, [f] or [v]. In ancient Greek, it occurred in both long and short versions, but this distinction has been lost in Modern Greek.
Poora? o_O ;)
 The Classical Greek pronunciation is the relevant one here :)
Clearly we need a sound clip of a native French or German speaker stating the Classical Greek pronunciation since us silly English blokes don't have a vowel that fits.

The only way I can think of naturally pronouncing Pyra in English is Pie-Rah. That makes me think of Pyro (someone who likes to burn things) or Pie Rahrahrah! or Yippie! It's Pie!

We have deviated so far from the concept of, "Pandora" who was famous for her box/container/jar that held amazing, delightful and frightening things far beyond it's simple appearance.

Her daughter Pyrrha is famous for re-populating the earth by throwing rocks over her shoulder with Deucalion after a cataclysmic flood in which they were the only two survivors on Earth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrha

Help me understand what the symbolic and subtext relevance of Pyra/Pyrrha is to a handheld computer?

Help me understand what the symbolic and subtext relevance of Pyra/Pyrrha is to a handheld computer?
Pyrrha/Pyra is the daughter of Pandora. What does it or even Pandora have to do with a Handheld computer? who knows... However that connection alone is enough for me to support it.

Except those games and emulators the multitudes of people use on their Pandoras are anything but modern,
Yes...

The Pandora has plenty of non-retro uses. It is not an entirely retro device (in contrast to the retrode, for example)
I'm curious what non-retro gaming owners use their Pandoras for. Speculating, I can come up with some light web browsing, maybe the odd program execution for music composition or on the go coding or the like, media playback of sorts, and some abiword for blogging and notetaking. Too bad the letter y in Myriad had to be usurped.

I'm curious what non-retro gaming owners use their Pandoras for.
I use it at work to connect to other Linux/Unix boxes on the go.. monitor log files, make updates to config files, sometimes log into mysql via command prompt and do quick queries.. X-Forwarding has been handy too when command line alone doesn't cut it.

I've made a quick changes to a spreadsheet with Libre office, listen to music..

It's a lot easier to carry around than my heavy W Series Lenovo thinkpad.

I'm of course interested in some retro gaming along with some of the native ports we have...

Yes...

I'm curious what non-retro gaming owners use their Pandoras for. Speculating, I can come up with some light web browsing, maybe the odd program execution for music composition or on the go coding or the like, media playback of sorts, and some abiword for blogging and notetaking. Too bad the letter y in Myriad had to be usurped.
http://pandoralive.info/?cat=15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back