Poll: Name of the successor

What name would you prefer for the Pandora successor?

• DragonBox

Votes: 58 52.3%
  • DragonFly

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Dragora

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Miriad (or DragonBox Miriad / OpenMiriad)

Votes: 19 17.1%
  • Myridon (or DragonBox Myridon / OpenMyridon)

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Pandragon (or DragonBox Pandragon / OpenPandragon)

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Pyragon (or DragonBox Pyragon / OpenPyragon)

Votes: 19 17.1%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Punctuation is even worse in my experience than misspelling (there IS no misspelling anyways when creating a new name. A name is a name, it can be something never heard before).

^ also not very recognizable when said out loud :p

"Hey, what's that?"

"Myriad" "Ok, I'll look it up online"

"I didn't find it with the name myriad"

"No, it's my-backslash-r-backslash-i-backslash-ad"

":S"

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote for Miriad because DragonBox is a cool name but we can't use it for a product and the same time for the company's name (IMHO).

The others don't inspiring me much (except DrangonFly that is already used too much)

Maybe we need a bit more brainstorming to find a very good name...maybe when we have more info/details on component used.

This poll was created by ED to determine the name of the successor. That it is the same name as his shop doesn't really matter. So it is the DragonBox you can buy at dragonbox.de

Maybe the P3 can then be called the DragonBox Miriad or DragonBox Pyragon. Don't see the need to add confusion in search of a loophole to influence the name choosing process again. 

There are enough bands that chose to call their albums the same name as the band. Some of them sold pretty well - Metallica, Van Halen etc. :)  

Dragonbox for me, though Dragonfly is a close second.

I like the way there is a little hint of Pandora in that name as well as the fact that it should give some good logo / slogan opportunities. What's in the box? Open the box! Open Dragonbox etc.

It still sounds weird to me to give the device the same name as the company/shop.

It would be like having an Apple Apple (instead of Apple Lisa or Apple Macintosh), a Commodore Commodore (instead of Commodore 64 or Commodore Amiga), a Nintendo Nintendo (instead of Nintendo Entertainment System or Nintendo Game Boy), a Sega Sega (instead of Sega Mega Drive / Sega Genesis), a Sony Sony (instead of Sony Playstation), an IBM IBM (instead of IBM PC), and so on.

I'm not opposed to "DragonBox" as a name for the device, but then the company / product line / shop needs a new name. The DragonBox DragonBox just sounds too weird to me.

Dragonbox is the best for me - but I have to say all the names in the poll are a little obscure :(

personnaly I like "LGM" aka "Little Game Machine" - nice descriptive, nice abbreviation and nice association which you can use for branding

^ so if it were to use an OMAP5, it would be DB5432 ?
wouldnt that be a DB5 ?  pretty car.....movie reference

or as its the first DB1 or have Aston Martin  trademarked all of these...lol

poll is missing "none of the above"  not really keen on any of them to be truthful...

Hmmm , like the Apple - Apple 2 or Coca Cola - Coca Cola, or Levi - Levi's. Believe it or not , products that share the same name as the company are not that uncommon. It doesn't matter in the slightest in terms of naming, as most commonly the company name hides behind the product name which takes centre stage. Ie Coca Cola is known as that and not Coca Cola Coca Cola

There are real reasons for and against naming a product the same as the company, none really have been discussed here though. These typically come under risk mitigation, expansion and marketing spend.

No option for Dragonbox Miriad?
Read here from my first post:

"I also removed the ones that had "Open" or "DragonBox" before them - whether we'll add that or not will be something we can decide later."

Which means that Miriad could be DragonBox Miriad.

To be honest, just using DragonBox really sounds like a bad idea - maybe I'll use DragonBox as series (if it gets most votes) and the second vote as model name.

Okay, updated the poll options to be more clear with the naming.

Everyone who wants to change his / her vote can easily do so (delete my vote and vote again).

To be honest, just using DragonBox really sounds like a bad idea - maybe I'll use DragonBox as series (if it gets most votes) and the second vote as model name.
If Dragonbox describes the series, maybe Names of famous dragons could be the name of the specific model - like Hydra, Typhon or mušḫuššu (bet there aren't many domains registered on this one) ?

It still sounds weird to me to give the device the same name as the company/shop.

It would be like having an Apple Apple (instead of Apple Lisa or Apple Macintosh), a Commodore Commodore (instead of Commodore 64 or Commodore Amiga), a Nintendo Nintendo (instead of Nintendo Entertainment System or Nintendo Game Boy), a Sega Sega (instead of Sega Mega Drive / Sega Genesis), a Sony Sony (instead of Sony Playstation), an IBM IBM (instead of IBM PC), and so on.

I'm not opposed to "DragonBox" as a name for the device, but then the company / product line / shop needs a new name. The DragonBox DragonBox just sounds too weird to me.
Jolla Jolla?

OK "DragonBox" is gonna win :)

Ed, next post is the logo voting post, have you picked/sorted them out to see which ones will be polled?  
Woooo wait! I would like to contribute my logo ideas, but not until the name was chosen.

The DragonFly name can only be choosen if the device have 4 shoulders buttons else it wouldnt make any sense.

Beside, because of DragonFlyBSD I dont think it's a good idea either.

Voted for pyragon as it sould like the best option to me

really sounds like a bad idea - maybe I'll use DragonBox as series (if it gets most votes) and the second vote as model name.
Hmm.. just remove the DragonBox from the poll seems like a better idea then. I think you already know by now that people like the dragonbox name. Now folks are voting for dragonbox and are getting DragonBox Miriad. Meh.

really sounds like a bad idea - maybe I'll use DragonBox as series (if it gets most votes) and the second vote as model name.
 Hmm.. just remove the DragonBox from the poll seems like a better idea then. I think you already know by now that people like the dragonbox name. Now folks are voting for dragonbox and are getting DragonBox Miriad. Meh.
Then I would have to reboot the whole poll... hmmm...

What happened to Pyra?
Already registered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back