• Miriad

Votes: 45 26.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
and we get to be pyrates.
potato-pirate-captain.gif

Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of vodka! :D

Given that the last 32% of current total votes haven't changed the names' relative popularities by more than 1%, can we safely say it will be called Pyra?

Given that only 146 people have voted, I miss the "neither" option. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
instead of pyra, is that google automatically corrects Pyrra to Pyrrha.
It won't for very long. Once a product gets out and the word "Pyra" starts showing up on other websites the google bot will stop automatically correcting it. It is capable of learning new words.

Given that only 146 people have voted, I miss the "neither" option. ;)
Same.  A 'none of the above' option would have kept this open longer though.

Right now I suspect quite a few people are voting for the one they dislike least - and I agree with them.  Pyra is slightly better than Miriad - even though I'm not a fan of either.

I don't know, I have a feeling that many of those who don't like either are simply not voting, and are instead posting what they think should be the name in the topic. It's not as if they're being forced to vote. At the same time, I guess a "neither" option would be useful, however these two names Were the winners of the last poll, and I think we do need to get on with it.

The value of a "neither" option depends on how people interpret it. If it is taken to mean that both options are completely reprehensible and that you seriously would not be comfortable calling it that then it would be useful.

Alternatively, if people vote "neither" because they may be indifferent to these two names but prefer some other option that isn't currently up for voting then we will gain nothing. It is established that everyone has their idea for the perfect name that may not have been selected for voting. A lot of names were proposed, EvilDragon selected a large collection, even added a few names as they came up during the voting, and from that collection two clear winners were found, but even so the votes were spread thin. If we included every single suggestion I am certain the voting would be even thinner, that an even less decisive decision will come out of it, and there will always be someone who says "my name was better" and would pick "none" out of spite (including unconscious spite).

If there were some way to guarantee that everyone interpreted "neither" in the first case, that they genuinely have a problem with the two names and aren't just butt-hurt that their name wasn't selected then I would be all in agreement with that, but I don't think that's possible.

To be honest, I'm happy that between the remaining two names, there is a clear winner. In the previous poll there was nearly no difference between the two. If this poll would also have converged to a 49%-51% kind of distribution, it would have been trickier...

In my opinion, Pyra is simple, it has enough symbolism, and we get to be pyrates. Honestly, what more can you possibly ask for :p
You know, that doesn't sound too bad. Join us you scurvy Scalawag and become the proud owner of a Pyra. It's an awful name to be sure as is Miriad, but it might work out favorably if it's the best we can come up with.

Isn't pirate a name most Pandora people were trying to hide and stay away from?  News stories griping about emulators would latch onto a big hint like that, maybe.

To be honest, I'm happy that between the remaining two names, there is a clear winner. In the previous poll there was nearly no difference between the two. If this poll would also have converged to a 49%-51% kind of distribution, it would have been trickier...

No, not really, IMO there was no need for this poll what so ever.  As I said in the previous Poll, Pyra had been out polling Miriad 2 - 1.  What people fail to realize is that Pyra was added to the Poll late. Pyra was added with 7 days to go in the Poll and at that time Miriad had already gotten ~ 28 votes. The next 7 days saw Pyra out vote Miriad 2 - 1 everyday to catch up and then surpass it.  It was IMO already decided, that's why I was so surprised to see another poll.

No, not really, IMO there was no need for this poll what so ever.  As I said in the previous Poll, Pyra had been out polling Miriad 2 - 1.  What people fail to realize is that Pyra was added to the Poll late. Pyra was added with 7 days to go in the Poll and at that time Miriad had already gotten ~ 28 votes. The next 7 days saw Pyra out vote Miriad 2 - 1 everyday to catch up and then surpass it.  It was IMO already decided, that's why I was so surprised to see another poll.
But people can change their vote so you cannot really know how many votes are new and how many are modified.

Anyway, I think "Pyrates" would be a nice tongue-in-cheek name for the community, with a high geek value. It's more interesting than "Pandorians" or whatever we call ourselves now.

Well a name, any name just needs getting used to. I'm sure that a lot of people who dislike the name now, will eventually be fine with it or even start to like it. It's about the book, not about the cover!

First option:prha

Second option: Mirid
Third option: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

is it pyha? I've forgotten already.. I don't know how to spell it

If we're telling people about our pyra, they're not going to know how to spell it, but naturally I think they would think it is spelled Pyra, not Pyrra or Pyrrha.
 If I pronounce it the way that Pyrrha is to be spoken, then most people would actually look up Pirra or Purra, not Pyra. Also, as WizardStan pointed out, Google quickly catches onto new terms being used and will stop autocorrecting once people search it a bit.

But people can change their vote so you cannot really know how many votes are new and how many are modified.

Anyway, I think "Pyrates" would be a nice tongue-in-cheek name for the community, with a high geek value. It's more interesting than "Pandorians" or whatever we call ourselves now.
I gotta agree with Tenka here:

Isn't pirate a name most Pandora people were trying to hide and stay away from?  News stories griping about emulators would latch onto a big hint like that, maybe.
-God Ginrai

I read somebody call the successor Pyra in another thread a minute ago, and I felt bizarrely okay with the name, it sounded decent and normal.  But when I reexamined what they'd said I found that I felt that way because I misread Pyra as Hydra.  I would be very happy with Hydra, it's a dragon monsterbeast I like.

Wasn't Phoenix an option at some point? I was always kind of partial to that one. Plus it stays within the whole "P" naming schema and the "DragonBox Phoenix" fits together nicely imo.

^ See this graph?

5gqg.png

Think Phoenix has a lot of hits?

Actually, its off the scale at 950,000,000 :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back