Pandora Wi-Fi On 350kilobytes/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
then i would suggest a minimal environment for these kinds of test, on a raw state the processor and data busses will be dedicated on the sole purpose of tx/rx the nfo so if it archieves the expected speed the we get a baseline (the chip and its connection works), then we need gradual testing in order to check if something else is lowering the performance, or is it that we get a processor or data I/O and or any other bottle necks.

i really recommend MW to get back to the minimal environment for the tests, instead of adding variables to the testing like having a processor heavy app like the navigator or any aplications doing I/O access to any memory involved.

Glad I don't live here.
777129618.png

Attachments

• 777129618.png
    777129618.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 92
Vega said:
Does anybody know how fast is Nokia N900 wifi working? It's the same chipset, right? I think it would be a good goal - to reach N900 speed. Then I'll be satisfied, I think.
I've read reports of N900 doing ~750KiB/s, that's 5-6 Mbit/s. I've been able to reach that speed on pandora too using certain kernel setups. It seems to be slightly affected by other peripherals being enabled, but I'm getting at least 500KiB/s most of the time now.

The speed looks reasonable to me now, this is not a laptop after all. How well are other similar sized gadgets performing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my actual connection speed...i'm on Hyperlan (don't have DSL <_< )

777177329.png

Attachments

• 777177329.png
    777177329.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 94
From a quick test of a N82, I get ~544 KiB/s, (downloaded a 10MiB file with the default browser from a local SimpleHTTPServer, 18.8s)

Found some talk on N900 speeds at http://forums.internettablettalk.com/showthread.php?t=38819

notaz said:
Vega said:
Does anybody know how fast is Nokia N900 wifi working? It's the same chipset, right? I think it would be a good goal - to reach N900 speed. Then I'll be satisfied, I think.
I've read reports of N900 doing ~750KiB/s, that's 5-6 Mbit/s. I've been able to reach that speed on pandora too using certain kernel setups. It seems to be slightly affected by other peripherals being enabled, but I'm getting at least 500KiB/s most of the time now.

The speed looks reasonable to me now, this is not a laptop after all. How well are other similar sized gadgets performing?

N900 = D 4.64 - 6.55Mb/s, U 1.04Mb/s, Ping 47ms
Lappy (su4100 @ 1.3ghz) = D 7.10Mb/s, U 1.06Mb/s, Ping 38ms

Both speedtest.net over wpa2. Did it a few times each, but its a rough estimate so I didn't note down every result. The laptop stayed @ 7Mb/s but the N900 fluctuated a lot with download, up stayed @ ~ 1.05

(naw)mcx said:
Computer other ethernet = 6.24 mbps
Phone via wifi(T-Mobile Pulse) = 4.6 mbps.

I'm kinda shocked, that's impressive.

Ooo good point batman, I didn't think to try the 3G on my N900

Speedtest via Three 3G

4.10Mb/s 1.35Mb/s ping 106ms

Woot? The upstream is faster then my broadband!

jb0yx said:
I got a 06' GTO and I burn rubber every time I go out to get groceries.

I have an 06 EVO, let's race. :ph34r:

DSL Sonic.net $55 for 15/1 No download limit.

778152341.png

Attachments

• 778152341.png
    778152341.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 87
rsuryase said:
DSL Sonic.net $55 for 15/1 No download limit.

778152341.png

I can still remember the 54k modem days. Used to have to share it with 5 others too *shudder*

Attachments

• 778152341.png
    778152341.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 82
mahousaru said:
I can still remember the 54k modem days. Used to have to share it with 5 others too *shudder*

I used to think my first 2400bps (i.e. 2.4k) modem was the dog's bollocks after using a friend's 1200 baud. Twice as fast - wow! It couldn't possibly get much faster than that...

GunPei2X said:
mahousaru said:

I used to think my first 2400bps (i.e. 2.4k) modem was the dog's bollocks after using a friend's 1200 baud. Twice as fast - wow! It couldn't possibly get much faster than that...

2.4k? Wishful thinking, you mean (approx) 0.3k.

I thought I was the 'man' when, for my 13th birthday I got a 28.8k modem, imported from the USA. Shame no other bloody person in the UK had one and I had to use it at 14.4k for about a year!

craigix said:
2.4k? Wishful thinking, you mean (approx) 0.3k.

I thought I was the 'man' when, for my 13th birthday I got a 28.8k modem, imported from the USA. Shame no other bloody person in the UK had one and I had to use it at 14.4k for about a year!

Now you're just being inconsistent. 28.8k modems are 28800 bits/second (and 14.4k are 14400 bits/second) so 2.4k would be suitable.

GunPei2X said:
mahousaru said:

i do remember that,

i had to setup my main station IBM computer as a 24/7 unit personal use and services server. a 56k modem, an 10/100 hub and everyone leeching my internet connection, not to say they used to use the computer too so i had to use it 12 to 4am time frame.

nowadays the ol' good IBM box turned into a newer case for a multimedia unit, and the internals became a support BitTorrent/HardDrive server, and it is still as good as new. (well except that the mainboard new housing is the new multimedia mainboard Box modded ghetto style!

BTW CAN PEOPLE STOP POSTING DUMB TESTS? is not like i care that they can DL that fast, not to say most of those results are unreliable and easily faked.

craigix said:

Amiga BBSes FTW. How did we ever manage without a hard drive? Madness.

GunPei2X said:
Oh no, I remember! Those were the days. Discovering some strange new online world almost nobody knew about :lol:

Zotty said:
GunPei2X said:
Oh no, I remember! Those were the days. Discovering some strange new online world almost nobody knew about :lol:

I remember playing gambling games to win extra minutes on my daily quota...

I remember when I wasted a bunch of money on my 28.8k modem, too. That sucked. At least I convinced my buddy to get one, too... I think we connected maybe twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back