Monk said:
EvilDragon said:
So what...?

You were wrong.

what was he wrong about?
maybe im just being dense here...

ED made an absolute statement that was a sweeping generalisation:

EvilDragon said:
Maybe your WiFi signal is a bit weak where you try to use the Pandora? A desktop PC, XBox360, Wii, etc. are WAY bigger and therefore have bigger and better antennas. You can't do that on such a small device, therefore, the signal strength will ALWAYS be a bit weaker.

Basically saying "Bigger devices will have bigger antennas which will mean you get a stronger signal" in spite of his combined reportage with Craig having previously touted Pandora signal strength in "The Hall" as being superior to some larger device (I don't recall but I assume it was Craig's notebook. This was way before ED's German trip, though he seems to confirm that his netbook couldn't get a signal at The Hall either).

ED's reply isn't a "clarification", it's a cop-out, a contradiction, and breaks his original statement:

EvilDragon said:
Of course there are also bigger crappy devices, but a well-built bigger device will ALWAYS have better WiFi than a well-built smaller device.

This no longer maintains the "bigger is always going to be stronger" stance. So he was wrong when he made that sweeping statement - and I can add to it still further with something like:

"A well-built smaller device will ALWAYS have better WiFi than a smaller crappy device" or even "a well-built smaller device may OFTEN have stronger WiFi than a crappy bigger device". His "clarification" completely removes his point - that "bigger is better", a point that was erroneous. Given that he even needed a "clarification" (i.e. if you disregard the ways in which I've pointed out it highlights that he was incorrect) the fact of a clarification shows that the original statement was, well, wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Monk said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
Monk said:
EvilDragon said:
So what...?

You were wrong.

what was he wrong about?
maybe im just being dense here...

ED made an absolute statement that was a sweeping generalisation:

EvilDragon said:
Maybe your WiFi signal is a bit weak where you try to use the Pandora? A desktop PC, XBox360, Wii, etc. are WAY bigger and therefore have bigger and better antennas. You can't do that on such a small device, therefore, the signal strength will ALWAYS be a bit weaker.

Basically saying "Bigger devices will have bigger antennas which will mean you get a stronger signal" in spite of his combined reportage with Craig having previously touted Pandora signal strength in "The Hall" as being superior to some larger device (I don't recall but I assume it was Craig's notebook. This was way before ED's German trip, though he seems to confirm that his netbook couldn't get a signal at The Hall either).

ED's reply isn't a "clarification", it's a cop-out, a contradiction, and breaks his original statement:

EvilDragon said:
Of course there are also bigger crappy devices, but a well-built bigger device will ALWAYS have better WiFi than a well-built smaller device.

This no longer maintains the "bigger is always going to be stronger" stance. So he was wrong when he made that sweeping statement - and I can add to it still further with something like:

"A well-built smaller device will ALWAYS have better WiFi than a smaller crappy device" or even "a well-built smaller device may OFTEN have stronger WiFi than a crappy bigger device". His "clarification" completely removes his point - that "bigger is better", a point that was erroneous. Given that he even needed a "clarification" (i.e. if you disregard the ways in which I've pointed out it highlights that he was incorrect) the fact of a clarification shows that the original statement was, well, wrong.

Still, it's good that the Pandora has a good Wifi reception. In my home, I see Wifi spots on my Pandora that no other device of mine has ever detected.

Just to confirm ,the pandora's wifi reception is very (very) good ! there is a problem somewhere else ,most probably the driver or some hardware issue ,cpu time,clock rate and wifi function seems to be some kind of (bottleneck) or conflict just now ,high overclocking can cause the wifi to drop ,running other software like n64 emulation most of the time also causes the wifi to drop ,i do hope it is just the driver but if it isn't then we need to live with that for the first batch owners ,it's not the end of the world as there is still an internet connection there that IS usable.

I do online radio streams while i browse the net on the pandora and can confirm this works fairly well ,i have also noticed raising the buffer in gnome player helps greatly as if you leave it on default the stream will stop all the time when browsing pages on a web page ,also starting stopping other things like emulation while running online radio ,this is the case for both media players avail.

ste_167 said:
Still, it's good that the Pandora has a good Wifi reception. In my home, I see Wifi spots on my Pandora that no other device of mine has ever detected.

It's EXCELLENT if the Pandora gets good Wifi reception, and I feel that doing it down by suggesting that "bigger devices will always be betetr than it" does the machine a disservice. My chronic "that's just not true" switch would have been flicked by ED's sweeping inaccuracy ANYWAY, but when it's to the apparent detriment of the Pandoras reputation - how could I NOT speak up in defence of the Pandora?

Monk said:
ste_167 said:

It's EXCELLENT if the Pandora gets good Wifi reception, and I feel that doing it down by suggesting that "bigger devices will always be betetr than it" does the machine a disservice. My chronic "that's just not true" switch would have been flicked by ED's sweeping inaccuracy ANYWAY, but when it's to the apparent detriment of the Pandoras reputation - how could I NOT speak up in defence of the Pandora?

I thought you would be smart enough to know that this of course implies the bigger device has been properly built.

You really are a nitpicker and try to twist around every thing we say to prove the world we are lying (which you also showed to me in the battery accuracy-thread in the I need help-Section).
Maybe I should also state next time that you can only play more than 10 Minutes of SNES on your Pandora if you don't stop breathing...

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Monk said:
ste_167 said:

I thought you would be smart enough to know that this of course implies the bigger device has been properly built.

You really are a nitpicker and try to twist around every thing we say to prove the world we are lying (which you also showed to me in the battery accuracy-thread in the I need help-Section).

Ed, I am with you here 100%.
Some month ago I almost loved monk, however, since some weeks/month I can't stand his never-ending attempts to turn you and the others into liars. Just saying that to show you that your are not imaging that. I think a good dose of Pandora will help him become the nice guys was.
For now, I suggest you do the same as I did with Paddy and will do with Monk now: IGNORE LIST

I will clear out my ignore list when all 4k Ps are shipped ;)

EvilDragon said:
You really are a nitpicker and try to twist around every thing we say to prove the world we are lying

I haven't done. I've shown you were WRONG, not lying. If you WANT me to pick apart everything you say, let me know - there's plenty I haven't touched. I could be a damn site more cynical than I have been. Just give me the word - I'm up for it today, I have time on my hands if you'd like it employed that way. That you cannot accept that you are ever simply wrong, even on such a simple issue, does not enhance your image IMHO.

Creature XL said:
Some month ago I almost loved monk, however, since some weeks/month I can't stand his never-ending attempts to turn you and the others into liars. Just saying that to show you that your are not imaging that. I think a good dose of Pandora will help him become the nice guys was.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I can only react to what's actually happening, what's actually posted. I can't make stuff up out of thin air - so when there's good things happening my posts may seem good to you, when there's bad things happening they may seem bad - either way they are just a reflection of what is actually going on IMHO.

Now let me go see what's up with the battery comments.

stressed.jpe

Attachments

• stressed.jpe
    stressed.jpe
    38.6 KB · Views: 91
I'm not allowed desserts :(

Actaully I'm not allowed stress. I'm supposed to avoid situations where I can get stressed out. Like, well, posts attacking me. It causes physical pain (imagine having barb wire mesh wrapped in a noose around your gut - then having someone pull the end so tha tthe noose/loop tightens. That's how stress actually FEELS). But frankly I get fed up of being told I'm too pro-OpenPandora one minute and too anti-OpenPandora another, when I am neither. I just AM. If anyone feels they are being picked on then they should look to their own posts first.

where Is the ignore list, please?

Found it!

Monk, my friend :) I still remember that epic post from you about misunderstandings on the internet ;) I understand everyone involved and maybe it's time to either ignore or hug each other for a while. "Tomorrow is a new day" is what I say to my children, when we have stressed each other.

mali said:
Monk, my friend :) I still remember that epic post from you about misunderstandings on the internet ;)

Sadly, I don't remember it. I have been described - probably fairly accurately - as a very "stream-of-conciousness" kind of guy. I tend to live, as much as possible, in the hear-and-now with only limited references to the past and the future. So when I'm typing, that is the NOW - and the detail is largely forgotten comparatively quickly. More quickly than I will remember things that are important to me (what I say on these forums rarely carries much weight with me. It all seems so... obvious. I'm constantly concerned that any post I make will be the clone of one I posted earlier, simply because the same subject matter will tend to promote the same response).

mali said:
I understand everyone involved and maybe it's time to either ignore or hug each other for a while. "Tomorrow is a new day" is what I say to my children, when we have stressed each other.

I backed off from ED once before, when I had not the time, nor the inclination, nor the health to defend myself. This is another day. If he wants a bitch-slap fest, then bring it on. I've lost so much respect for the guy it's hard to even articulate - it's like he's becoming Craig's "Mini-me".

What does the ignore button do ? does that mean i don't have to read posts from some people ? or just PM's

Not that i feel i need to do this ,i have never been bothered by anyone trying to sell me double glazing or a second pandora or a cheap pandora carry case on the forum but emm just wanted to know becase Creature has blocked me ,i know nothing about it and i have never sent him a PM nor would i want/need to so why bother ? ,lol for the fact he blocked me makes him feel better when i am blissfully unaware ! B)

Monk, I wish I could articulate myself properly in English. You wouldn't understand the wall of text in German, I suppose :p
So I'll just write about the most important point.
From my observations, ED is a bit thin-skinned at the moment and gets defensive very quickly. It would make things easier if his OPT friends would help him more often, imo.

paddy said:
What does the ignore button do ? does that mean i don't have to read posts from some people ? or just PM's

Not that i feel i need to do this ,i have never been bothered by anyone trying to sell me double glazing or a second pandora or a cheap pandora carry case on the forum but emm just wanted to know becase Creature has blocked me ,i know nothing about it and i have never sent him a PM nor would i want/need to so why bother ? ,lol for the fact he blocked me makes him feel better when i am blissfully unaware ! B)

Assuming this acts like other forums, it should block all posts by 'ignored' users. The results cna be quite comical. Let's say that Creature has blocked you. Creature will probably STILL end up reading much of what you say, because people will quote it in order to respond to it. You will, of course, still see everything that Creature says. However, if people respond to you without quoting, e.g.:

@paddy, that's quite unfair! I don't believe that of Creature at all!

then, based on my minimal observations, some users (perhaps Creature) will constantly be un-ignoring you to find out what you said, then re-ignoring you.

Unless creature then ignores everyone who quotes you... and the unread posts count goes down and down daily...

Curosity - it's a strange beast! Of course, some people will have the fortitude to NOT unignore people to find out what they are up to - but I suspect many of these people would have the fortitude to manually skip over posts they don't want to read and so not need the ignore feature. Like much of human behaviour, it's another little wrinkle that'd be fascinating to study.

mali said:
^ I wish I could articulate myself properly in English. You wouldn't understand the wall of text in German, I suppose :p

Sadly, your English puts my German to shame. The best I can hope for with German is that my humour is off-the-wall enough to distract with something inane like "A wall of Germans? You want to EXECUTE ME???". (why do we EXECute programs? Are they really THAT BAD?).

mali said:
From my observations, ED is a bit thin-skinned at the moment and gets defensive very quickly. It would make things easier if his OPT friends would help him more often, imo.

I get upset that one person or another is "allowed" to be thin skinned. Can I not have my "buttons" too? Must I ALWAYS be "the better man" - while ED gets praised and I get slammed for upsetting the Great Man?

I DO have my buttons, and one of them is accusations of bias or being unfair. Which I do not beleive I am, ever (intentionally). I also have my "thin-skin" times and days. But this is not an area which I belive we should get into (maybe in an off-off-off-off-topic forum? LOL). ED has hurt and annoyed me by suggesting that I am "out to get them". I am very, VERY annoyed and quite hurt as that is not me, and not the first time he's done so.

I agree that his OPT associates should help out on the forum more. ED posting "I don't know, I'm in Germany!" (for example, to paraphrase) isn't half as helpful to him, to the questioners, or to the wider community ambience as someone who IS in a position posting something more informative.

mali said:
Monk, I wish I could articulate myself properly in English. You wouldn't understand the wall of text in German, I suppose :p
So I'll just write about the most important point.

That might be true, but he really is trying to nitpick everything at the moment in my opinion.
Pulling out quotes from years ago (did he collect them? He truly can't search them every time - and that scares me) where I always claimed multiple times that posts on the boards are always assumptions and NOT official statements, then trying to nail us down with those (as seen in the battery thread).

And - if you check out the battery thread - it seems like he was trying to nail us down when we said the battery is accurate and now we said it changes according to the behaviour and the used options (WiFi, etc.). He was trying to nail us down because we said it is pretty much accurate to the minute...
Well - I thought it should be evident that even a Pandora cannot look into the future to know what the user will do within the next hours with his Pandora... still, the battery meter is accurate. It shows the remaining minutes based on the current usage - and updates if the usage changes.

Pulling out old posts, putting us in front of a wall and telling "I have quotes! You said it will be accurate to the minute! Now you say it will change depending on the user behaviour!"... well, that's just ridiculous in my opinion.

It's like a car dealer says that a car can do 200km/h and you blame him if the autobahn is stuffed with cars so you can't use those 200km/h... then going to the public telling "But that guy told me years ago that that car can always go at 200km/h!"

And those posts are really really tiring to answer...

ED has hurt and annoyed me by suggesting that I am "out to get them". I am very, VERY annoyed and quite hurt as that is not me, and not the first time he's done so.

Ever thought about what you do to us by pulling out quotes from years ago, which sound like you're trying to badmouth the Pandora - for things which aren't even wrong?

Yes, the Pandora - like any other device - has flaws.
But it seems like during the last months you've been trying to gather EVERY QUOTE we ever did - and if something is just a bit different and ridiculous like the battery thing, it's annoying - and it hurts.

Yeah, working 8 hours a day for normal life, 8 - 12 hours a day for a Pandora, losing money because we basically sold it too cheap, never had any holidays for the last two years... and still trying to do the best support possible...
And then I need to answer to questions like the battery one... yeah, that's a fun life I'm having right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back