Pandora's Emulators - What Will Work And What Won't

What about emulating 68K macintosh computers? I'd love to see something like minivmac or Basilisk run on the Pandora.

dæv said:
What about emulating 68K macintosh computers? I'd love to see something like minivmac or Basilisk run on the Pandora.
There are already ARM ports of Basilisk II, but I hope for SheepShaver. I think it would be possible at decent speeds (could equal my old performa at least, it ran at something like 60 MHz and had 8 MB of memory.)

Last edited by a moderator:
What you were saying Laurent

" Using SDLMAME, the answer is yes. SDLMAME already works on many platforms, MacOS X and PS3 for instance.
But what I have in mind is slightly more involved: generating ARM code dynamically, using the new infrastructure. "

Does that mean you can optimise the code better doing this vs straight porting? Normally Mame dev's optimise the drivers vs's optimising certain games using that technique. Do you think optimising certain games is an option or more pain in the ass?

I'd love some late 90's games to run at full speed.

Hirolaser, can I request the ability to select turbo speeds on the 2 action buttons like the original Turbografx system?

Smartgear on the Windows Mobile platform allows you to select any button to act in "turbo mode" and this makes a significant difference in games. If you recall, some games like the Bonk series won't allow you to reach certain areas or complete mini games without the use of a turbo button. Primarily because I doubt anyone can tap a controller that quickly.

PolloLoco: Sorry can't help you as I don't have a Gp2x anymore and have never used the emulator, I'm only going by what users have said. If you ask in the Gp2x forum in the thread I'm sure someone will help.

joshwaan2k said:
" Using SDLMAME, the answer is yes. SDLMAME already works on many platforms, MacOS X and PS3 for instance.
But what I have in mind is slightly more involved: generating ARM code dynamically, using the new infrastructure. "

Does that mean you can optimise the code better doing this vs straight porting?

This means the CPU emulator can now generate native code instead of using C based emulation. Currently only the MIPS emulator is using this, and only x86 code is generated (powerpc is being written).
So what is needed is to:
1. write an ARM code generator
2. port other CPU's to use to new generator
These modifications could go into the standard MAME.

Normally Mame dev's optimise the drivers vs's optimising certain games using that technique. Do you think optimising certain games is an option or more pain in the ass?

I don't really understand what you mean. MAME dev's will always sacrifice speed to gain accuracy and to ease emulation of new machines (and I agree on that). However it certainly does not mean MAME dev's don't care about speed, it's just a matter of priorities.

However if you want something that runs well on a given platform, you can do as Franxis did. And that's the reason why working with him is highly desirable :) The only point I don't agree with Franxis is using a very old MAME version as a basis...

Laurent said:
The only point I don't agree with Franxis is using a very old MAME version as a basis...
I try to keep my MAME ROM set relatively (within a few months or so) updated. So having to backtrack to find old sets would kinda suck.

Tell you one thing - having MAME on Pandora will be amazing! And I'll get a real kick out of plugging the Pandora into my TV and playing Bombjack on a big screen. :p Bomb Jack is fun.

Hirolaser said:
PolloLoco: Sorry can't help you as I don't have a Gp2x anymore and have never used the emulator, I'm only going by what users have said. If you ask in the Gp2x forum in the thread I'm sure someone will help.
I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were porting that emulator over to the Pandora. I was requesting the turbo button feature be added.

Prophet said:
Tell you one thing - having MAME on Pandora will be amazing! And I'll get a real kick out of plugging the Pandora into my TV and playing Bombjack on a big screen. :p Bomb Jack is fun.
Strider, dude, Strider! :D (Translation: I'm looking forward to some MAME goodness too. ;))

Since the PSX emu topic seams to be dead... Will There be an option To swap emulated controllers and memory cards on the fly?
(Like for In
MGS1 during psycho mantis Fight?
)

KRH said:
Since the PSX emu topic seams to be dead... Will There be an option To swap emulated controllers and memory cards on the fly?
(Like for In
MGS1 during psycho mantis Fight?
)
There's got to be some kind of time limit on the "Spoiler Alert". What's it been, like, 11 years almost? Whoever hasn't played it by now DESERVES to have it ruined for them. :lol:

But yeah, I'd agree, one of the great things about Pandora for me would be the ability to play MGS over again on the go this summer before I shell out the dough for a PS3 and MGS4, but you kinda need to be able to do the hotswap as explained.

I'am psp fan really. But if psp will come to pandora it will be my dream come true :rolleyes: ... and I've found this article !!! And few more qestions. Is it possible to run starcraft on dosbox? Its

Reqiurements:

Windows 95/98/NT
Pentium 90 or higher
16 MB RAM
DirectX-Compatible SVGA Video Card
Microsoft-Compatible Mouse
Double-Speed CD-ROM
(Quad Speed for Cinematics)

And mac os requirements:

16 MB RAM
System 7.6 or higher
256 Color, 640x480 Display or Better
Double-Speed CD-ROM
(Quad Speed for Cinematics)

Please tell me is it possible to run starcraft withuot broodwar or with it on pandora. Starcraft is is allmost the BEST game ever!!!!

Dosbox will only run DOS games, not Windows games. Unless Blizzard ports it to the pandora or releases the source, it won't happen.

Back