Pandora's Emulators - What Will Work And What Won't

Prophet said:
Kyosys said:
I care about rewind in portable emus because often when you sit in a bus you screw up because you're sitting in a bus. I barely ever use the function to cheat (sometimes when something is impossible for me to beat), otherwise I just use it to fix "enviromental faults"
Switch to limousine service.

are those immune to rough streets? besides, if I could afford that I wouldn't have a reason to be on the bus in first place.
It's not that it's something I can't live without, but it'd be nice to have

Last edited by a moderator:
CandidStan said:
OS/2 Warp emulator?
Now that would be awesome!

However, IBM could (or would, but most likely could) not open OS/2's sources. There is an open source project to clone OS/2 (here), but it's at stage 0.0.3 ATM, so I wouldn't get my hopes up to fire it up any time soon.

Or perhaps the eComStationvguys are willing to port? Provided a port is even possible: OS/2 is highly X86 optimized -- it had to be, to run as it did on mid-90s hardware.

Can we add the folowing to the list? They are all 70/80s Systems and could probably be emulated by the Pandora.

-ORIC 1
-Philips Tele-Spiel ES-2201
-Intertron VC4000

What about the Sinclair QL?
I would love to see the Amiga 1200 on the list.
I would love to see these on a Pandora someday.

Candistan,

Amiga is already listed, and IIRC the QL is essentially a Spectrum spinoff(?). No point in listing every version of different computers, because generally emulators for one version will run all the same software as other versions.

KRH,

I will add Oric, but the other 2 are extremely obscure and I don't think it serves much use to list every piece of hardware ever made. Honestly I'm mostly interested in covering the more popular and/or historically significant platforms.

in that case let's make a Zuse Z3 emulator

it will essentially be a calculator, but it will be really slow

Are these noteable?
-Fairchild Channel F
-Dragon 32/64
-Virtual Boy
-Atari XG GS
-Adventurevision
-Microvision

KRH said:
Are these noteable?
-Dragon 32/64
There was a GP32 Dragon 32 emulator that was also supposed to work on linux using SDL.
Not sure how you'd get any games onto Pandora though.

Incidentally, I remember the Dragon 32 as it was my first computer. It cost £199 for a 1.8mhz 6809 m/c with 9 colours, but only 2 colours at the highest resolution. Compare that value to Pandora.

KRH said:
Are these noteable?
-Fairchild Channel F
-Dragon 32/64
-Virtual Boy
-Atari XG GS
-Adventurevision
-Microvision
Most of them. ;) But Atari XG GS for example, was basically repackaged Atari 800 hardware.

And seriously, I do appreciate your suggestions - adding some of these now.

If anyone really, REALLY wants me to add something obscure I will... But there's no point adding every system ever made, or every iteration of a hardware platform. That's not really the intent of this list. If/when we get a MESS port (and I think it's very likely), a lot of the obscure stuff will come along with it.

Hey this is a question I didn't feel needed to have it's own thread, and is somewhat related to a GBA emulator:

It seems like with some hacking on wii and some programming on the pandora, one would be able to hook their pandora up to the wii and use it with the GBA emulator as it is used in games like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, or Animal Crossing. While I think it seems plausible, should I realistically be able to expect something like this being incorporated into a GBA emulator, or would it be very difficult to get the wii to recognize the pandora? Thanks.

imbored said:
It seems like with some hacking on wii and some programming on the pandora, one would be able to hook their pandora up to the wii and use it with the GBA emulator as it is used in games like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, or Animal Crossing. While I think it seems plausible, should I realistically be able to expect something like this being incorporated into a GBA emulator, or would it be very difficult to get the wii to recognize the pandora? Thanks.
do you mean to have what is on the pandora screen displayed in a game on the wii? Otherwise I'm not sure what you're asking. The NES was emulated in Animal Crossing; I've never played Final Fantasy on the GC.

But yes, for a GBA emulator it could probably copy the framebuffer over USB or something, but you'd have to write a homebrew specifically for the Wii - it couldn't be used with any commercial games.

It'd be fairly useless anyway; why not just use the TV-out? Or if you have a Wii and a copy of Twilight Princess (and a SD card), install the Homebrew Channel and use the emulators written for the Wii.

Prophet said:
IIRC the QL is essentially a Spectrum spinoff(?).

No, the QL was a very different 68000-based machine. Later versions of the Spectrum were given similarly-styled cases and keyboards, which is probably what you're thinking of.

OK added QL then. :)

Also added later gen Macs to the "Might work decently" list at Tom's request. I really don't know much about Macs, so if any devs would like to advise me further, just say so.

KRH said:
Esn said:
How about the GP32? :ph34r:
That sounds reasonable, Not sure why you would want it since most everything good will be ported.

I'd like to play Blue Angelo with good controls. None of the diagonals on my GP32 work any more... (and I'm too inexperienced to try opening the back and fixing it myself)

Tom` said:
imbored said:
do you mean to have what is on the pandora screen displayed in a game on the wii? Otherwise I'm not sure what you're asking. The NES was emulated in Animal Crossing; I've never played Final Fantasy on the GC.

He's asking if it's possible to emulate the serial connection in a GBA so that to peripherals that would normally interact with a GBA (Gamecube/Wii, even other GBAs I imagine) it appears like a real one would.

It should be technically possible, but it requires interfacing to the cable somehow. It'd probably be even more difficult than emulating a serial connection to another emulated GBA.

Back