Pandora's Emulators - What Will Work And What Won't

I don't imagine gba to gba connection emulation to be that difficult. Just gotta fetch what it's sending out, send it over to another pandora per bluetooth and accept income on a GBA link port.

Kyosys said:
I don't imagine gba to gba connection emulation to be that difficult. Just gotta fetch what it's sending out, send it over to another pandora per bluetooth and accept income on a GBA link port.
Wow, will you code that for us?

Last edited by a moderator:
KRH said:
Esn said:
How about the GP32? :ph34r:
That sounds reasonable, Not sure why you would want it since most everything good will be ported.

I asked Squidge about this a while back, and the upshot is that you're - very annoyingly - never going to be able to get much further than Spot is at the moment, at least, not with the current approach.

And Dynareccing everything, of course, means you need a LOT more power...

notaz said:
Kyosys said:
Wow, will you code that for us?

Touché

@Tinnus

would it be possible with filter support in Little John, like hq 2x or 3x?

filiph.ps said:
@Tinnus

Scale2x, 2xSaI, Super 2xSaI, Super Eagle, hq2x, lq2x, scanlines and TV scanlines (as in VBA) can be used to scale the original image to any factor <= 2. Additionally, if needed, a simple scale, Scale2xSaI or the hardware (hopefully) can be used to scale a bit more if needed (for example, if the game height is 224, 2x that would be 448, you'd still have 32 extra lines to scale).

3x doesn't make sense because no console had an image 3x smaller than Pandora's screen.

Thanks Kyosys :p

Anyway, GB, GBC, GG and NGP also had height <= 160. But anyway the only filter that has a 3x version is HQ3X (no 3xSaI or anything) and it would be too much of a hassle to integrate 3x filters in the framework as well (there's lots of code in there to automagically handle different screen sizes). You'd be good just doing a 2x scale and nearest/bilinear/Scale2xSaI it to 480 height, the screen is so small and there are so many pixels that it won't look bad at all.

Kyosys said:

I believe the original question was could an emulated gba (pandora) be connected to a REAL gba, or indeed Wii

Tinnus said:
filiph.ps said:
@Tinnus

Scale2x, 2xSaI, Super 2xSaI, Super Eagle, hq2x, lq2x, scanlines and TV scanlines (as in VBA) can be used to scale the original image to any factor <= 2. Additionally, if needed, a simple scale, Scale2xSaI or the hardware (hopefully) can be used to scale a bit more if needed (for example, if the game height is 224, 2x that would be 448, you'd still have 32 extra lines to scale).

3x doesn't make sense because no console had an image 3x smaller than Pandora's screen.

@Tinnus & Exophase
btw will the gb emus support link cable support (pandora to pandora) (multigamy style(trading with your self using a different rom/save)) ?

@Tinnus & Exophase(multigamy style(trading with your self using a different rom/save)) ?

As I said in another thread: Why would you want this? If you want to trade pokemon, or clone them, there are plenty of pokemon save hacking tools. And I cant see any other reason.

if you play legitly on two editions?

edit: or if you want to battle a friend but only have one pandora

exactly, pandora to pandora works with any game that supports link cables, multigamy-ish works with any turn based games that supports link cable.

besides, regarding games like pokemon, i think people would rather play the game as it's supposed to be played rather than cheating

filiph.ps said:
think people would rather play the game as it's supposed to be played rather than cheating

Well I think that depends on the game and the person. First thing I did with GTA III/VC/SA was use cheat codes up the wazoo. Then I reset and beat them fairly and then...BACK TO THE CHEATS!!!!

Maybe some one did play through Pokemon legitly but then wants to play it again and cheat. It would be nice to have the ability to trade pokemon with real GBA's and such, but it isn't the end of the world if we don't.

You can always play legitly in one pokemon game, capture a pokemon fairly and then hack it into your other game with the full knowledge you caught it fair and square.

Long story short I don't think it is a good idea to say most people would rather this or that when it comes to gaming. There are so many diff ways to play and enjoy that it is always amazing to have all the options possible, but sometimes that is more effort than it is worth and usually there is a way around the problem. (such as limited, self regulated hacking as mentioned above.)

nah but it would be a nic feature, it would be very nice to hook the pandora up and then use the pandora as a two player arcade machine on most games that got multiplay. :)

look at no$gba, its awesome to be able to play the Megaman Battle Network twoplayer, and tetris world against ur friends :)

Esn said:
So what are the prospects for GP32 emulation? I don't think this was answered...
Tobriand said:
I asked Squidge about this a while back, and the upshot is that you're - very annoyingly - never going to be able to get much further than Spot is at the moment, at least, not with the current approach.

And Dynareccing everything, of course, means you need a LOT more power...
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,2085

Spot was a Gp32 emulator.

Yes... I didn't really understand that, unfortunately, because I'm not a programmer, have never tried Spot (I don't own a GP2X) and haven't read an explanation of how Spot works (sometimes even a non-programmer can pick some things up if he reads an explanation).

From what I understand, Spot could not emulate a fullspeed GP32 on the GP2X. But the Pandora will be a much more powerful machine. What degree of difference will that make?

Esn said:
What degree of difference will that make?
Just so you know, Spot never ran anything on the 2X.

I would expect 1/3 speed emulation at best.

Back