Pandoras Weight

Megamixman said:
No no no.
Grams is mass people.
He asked for weight.
I'm predicting 30 ergs.... crap still not right
listen to this man!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was finally able to get access to one of those little scales to weigh a complete prototype Pandora (based on an FDM plastic case). It weighed 270 grams and I would expect the final unit to be a bit more, so lets say 300 grams would be a decent maximum estimate. The lid with LCD and speakers was 80 grams.

Chip said:
1. The exact weight is not yet known as there are a few physical parts that have not been manufactured yet. The cases displayed so far have been rapid prototype one-offs, and are (probably) not made of the same plastic and are not to the exact demensions of the final cases. Since a good portion of the Pandora's mass is taken up with battery, it's a good bet that it will be heavier than anything else of a similar size. The original DS weighed 275g, and the Pandora will likely weigh at least that much - probably more.
:D Good guess from Chip...

Anyways, thanks MWeston.

MWeston said:
I was finally able to get access to one of those little scales to weigh a complete prototype Pandora (based on an FDM plastic case).
Does this mean you have a fully-assembled prototype??

Pleng said:
MWeston said:
I was finally able to get access to one of those little scales to weigh a complete prototype Pandora (based on an FDM plastic case).

Exactly my thoughts :eek:

mazza558 said:
Pleng said:
MWeston said:

Exactly my thoughts :eek:

MWeston...... :eek: :eek: :eek: !?!?!?!?!? :)

Haha if he misspoke, he made a grave error. If he didn't, well, Christmas came early. :D

Vorporeal said:
Haha if he misspoke, he made a grave error. If he didn't, well, Christmas came early. :D
It's surely pretty hard to accidentally type "complete prototype Pandora (based on an FDM plastic case)." :p

Vorporeal said:
He probably has one of the ones without a keypad. :p

Tom` said:
Vorporeal said:
He probably has one of the ones without a keypad. :p

I'd still like to see it, keypad or no.

We know, it's just fun picking apart meaningless posts and hoping that they mean something and being disappointed when they don't but ecstatic when they do. :D

MWeston said:
I was finally able to get access to one of those little scales to weigh a complete prototype Pandora (based on an FDM plastic case). It weighed 270 grams and I would expect the final unit to be a bit more, so lets say 300 grams would be a decent maximum estimate. The lid with LCD and speakers was 80 grams.
The good thing is, the big Battery is also a reason why the Pandora is so heavy. :D

Oh, there are still no final mass-production Cases? *worryworrysweat*

They need to test out the keypad and controls first with a fully functional prototype case first before they jump ahead to making final cases ;) Last round of hardware testing I believe though! Fingers crossed it works fine, I suspect they might need to do some last minute change and that's why they haven't shown a vid or pics of it yet even though they have at least 1 complete pandora. If the change is small and insignificant enough, they could fix it and gamble on it working fine on the mass produced final cases. Or not and then there's another (short) delay.

MWeston said:
thanks, this is great!

mazza558 said:
It's surely pretty hard to accidentally type "complete prototype Pandora (based on an FDM plastic case)." :p

I guess that FDM acronym is crucial. IIRC it is made by "3D printer" and it is a prototype only, not final nor production case.

Back