Pangea - New Design, Codename Pinjala

efegea said:
I just don't feel like I'd do what you suggested. Although perhaps collaboration would help both projects (or the project resultant of merging them) I'd prefer to work on my own..
Yeah, OK. No problem. My biggest fear is only that the community might become slightly fractured because of the many alternatives. E.g., some artists will only make modules/themes for one menu system, and not the others. I thought about this when creating Panorama, too; you are able to use any PMenu theme as a Panorama theme (with some differences of course) so there's no "lost effort", so to speak.

Would you be OK with me creating a compatibility layer so that Pinjala themes can be used in Panorama?

EDIT: And yes, I knew about Pangea when I started working on Panorama, but not that it would be based on QML or Qt Declarative, and not that it would be worked on again after having been abandoned for so long.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really doesn't matter. Who uses what will be down to opinion.

Efegea, this sounds great. Also, I love your idea for the controls; it sounds very intuitive. Maybe you could also implement a way to do kinetic scrolling using the analog nub as well? I'm looking forward to it. I agree that having some way to drop to the Desktop like Willrandship mentioned would be a really useful feature, but aside from that, I'm looking forward to updates.

dflemstr said:
efegea said:
I just don't feel like I'd do what you suggested. Although perhaps collaboration would help both projects (or the project resultant of merging them) I'd prefer to work on my own..
Yeah, OK. No problem. My biggest fear is only that the community might become slightly fractured because of the many alternatives. E.g., some artists will only make modules/themes for one menu system, and not the others. I thought about this when creating Panorama, too; you are able to use any PMenu theme as a Panorama theme (with some differences of course) so there's no "lost effort", so to speak.

Well, the community didn't get fractured on the GP2X, and we had plenty of launchers. (Mocca, zLauncher, Gmenu2X, GPH's standard menu, etc.)

dflemstr said:
EDIT: And yes, I knew about Pangea when I started working on Panorama, but not that it would be based on QML or Qt Declarative, and not that it would be worked on again after having been abandoned for so long.

It was never exactly abandoned, IIRC, he just didn't post updates on the forum.

-God Ginrai

Can someone tell me what's the best resource for asking some QML-related questions? it's driving me crazy and I don't know if it's just me that I still haven't learned the language yet, or if it has bugs or what..

And an update. I've added at the bottom a row of icons for most used applications. It's automatic, the applications you launch more are the ones that appear there, but you can "lock" the ones you like and add new ones that haven't been added automatically. Just like Safari's Top Sites (is possible that chrome and/or other browsers also have that behavior but I haven't used them)

Now the sliding down the stylus or finger for opening a popup is not necessary, because when you press one button(applications, multimedia, app store...), the popup is what will be shown up, instead of a totally new screen. The popup has a size of full screen width and a height that is enought for the bottom row of icons (and the clock) to still be visible. The popup content is like a row of sections that you can scroll horizontally, it's hard to explain, but if you have seen the Windows Mobile 7 concept pictures, the ones where the content is wider than the phone screen, you could probably understand the idea. Although it's not an identical behavior to Windows Mobile 7.

And I forgot something on the first post: you can still type on the keyboard for quick application launch. Just type and a popup window will show the applications that have the text you have written, in their application name. Just like the second video I uploaded of Pangea a lot of time ago.

This > PMenu

Cant you do that tab behind it like this:

idea111.png

Looks better in my opinion

efegea said:
Can someone tell me what's the best resource for asking some QML-related questions? it's driving me crazy and I don't know if it's just me that I still haven't learned the language yet, or if it has bugs or what..

And an update. I've added at the bottom a row of icons for most used applications. It's automatic, the applications you launch more are the ones that appear there, but you can "lock" the ones you like and add new ones that haven't been added automatically. Just like Safari's Top Sites (is possible that chrome and/or other browsers also have that behavior but I haven't used them)

Now the sliding down the stylus or finger for opening a popup is not necessary, because when you press one button(applications, multimedia, app store...), the popup is what will be shown up, instead of a totally new screen. The popup has a size of full screen width and a height that is enought for the bottom row of icons (and the clock) to still be visible. The popup content is like a row of sections that you can scroll horizontally, it's hard to explain, but if you have seen the Windows Mobile 7 concept pictures, the ones where the content is wider than the phone screen, you could probably understand the idea. Although it's not an identical behavior to Windows Mobile 7.

And I forgot something on the first post: you can still type on the keyboard for quick application launch. Just type and a popup window will show the applications that have the text you have written, in their application name. Just like the second video I uploaded of Pangea a lot of time ago.

Is it still possible to slide the popup down with your finger? I think I might like that gesture better than tapping it.

Mithrildor said:
Cant you do that tab behind it like this:

idea111.png

Looks better in my opinion

Why didn't you just edit your previous post to include this?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Is it still possible to slide the popup down with your finger? I think I might like that gesture better than tapping it.

Yes, why not? :)

efegea said:
God Ginrai said:

Yes, why not? :)

Awesome, I'm looking forward to being able to switch back and forth between Pangea Pinjala and Xfce. ^_^

-God Ginrai

Hey Efegea!
You're a champ with all the work you've done!
Have you got any images of your current work?
I remember all the images of your previous work and that was EXCELLENT!

kingoddball said:
Hey Efegea!
You're a champ with all the work you've done!
Have you got any images of your current work?
I remember all the images of your previous work and that was EXCELLENT!

Hi! I don't, but as soon as I get something to show, I'll upload a video :)

At this moment I'm looking for the way to dynamically load qml components, that means plugins in Pangea! just drop the plugins on Pangea's folder and they should work, you can configure them and set if they are visible or not. A plugin can be a new section, a widget, a dynamic background (animated, slideshow..) etc.. But I'm still looking on how to implement the plugin system.. I'm new to QML (well, is qml what is new :D )

Hi, just want to say that this looks awesome. Sounds like I'll be able to snap to what I want with the minimum of effort! Keep up the good work efegea!

Sounds really great, I'll be following the progress of this for sure. We really do have a great crew on this board. I only wish I had the brains to do stuff like this :)

Bad news: Pangea is on hold state until Qt guys at Nokia release final version of Qt-Declarative, or, at least, they fix the compilation issues on Mac and/or linux (at least on Gentoo Linux.. the ebuild says it's masked because it doesn't compile)

I was using a binary of qml-viewer and the qml-enabled Qt Creator for testing, and I was coding only on QML language. But now I need to use the C++ part of the library but can't get it to compile.

If someone knows of a way to fix this, preferably on macos, it will be very appreciated :)

efegea said:
Bad news: Pangea is on hold state until Qt guys at Nokia release final version of Qt-Declarative, or, at least, they fix the compilation issues on Mac and/or linux (at least on Gentoo Linux.. the ebuild says it's masked because it doesn't compile)

I was using a binary of qml-viewer and the qml-enabled Qt Creator for testing, and I was coding only on QML language. But now I need to use the C++ part of the library but can't get it to compile.

If someone knows of a way to fix this, preferably on macos, it will be very appreciated :)
Do you want to build it for Qt 4.6.1 or Qt 4.6.0?

If Qt 4.6.1: clone "git://gitorious.org/+qt-kinetic-developers/qt/kinetic.git", do "git checkout origin/kinetic-bauhaus -b bauhaus", check out that branch, do "./configure; make; make install". Open QtCreator and add a Qt version in the Options dialog for "/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.6.1/bin/qmake". Very easy, but it leaves you with a problem once you want to distribute your app since only a few distros have Qt 4.6.1 (e.g. openSUSE Factory, Kubuntu Lucid BETA, etc) so you have to include all of the Qt .so's

If Qt 4.6.0: You have to have the complete source tree of Qt 4.6 available. Then, get the code from here and do "cd src/declarative; qmake; make; make install" instead, where qmake is the version from your Qt build tree. Done.

If you already did one of the above but have other issues, then I'm sorry, but I'd need more details to give further advice. Also, I'm obviously not using ebuilds here, but meh.

dflemstr said:
Do you want to build it for Qt 4.6.1 or Qt 4.6.0?

If Qt 4.6.1: clone "git://gitorious.org/+qt-kinetic-developers/qt/kinetic.git", do "git checkout origin/kinetic-bauhaus -b bauhaus", check out that branch, do "./configure; make; make install". Open QtCreator and add a Qt version in the Options dialog for "/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.6.1/bin/qmake". Very easy, but it leaves you with a problem once you want to distribute your app since only a few distros have Qt 4.6.1 (e.g. openSUSE Factory, Kubuntu Lucid BETA, etc) so you have to include all of the Qt .so's

If Qt 4.6.0: You have to have the complete source tree of Qt 4.6 available. Then, get the code from here and do "cd src/declarative; qmake; make; make install" instead, where qmake is the version from your Qt build tree. Done.

If you already did one of the above but have other issues, then I'm sorry, but I'd need more details to give further advice. Also, I'm obviously not using ebuilds here, but meh.

Ok, I'm building 4.6.1 from macports, I'll try that, I hope macport's source is not different from original source, if not I'll have to try to compile Qt on gentoo without using the ebuilds. But I prefer to code on macos (although libpnd support will have to be coded on linux anyway)

Thanks!!

B-ZaR said:
When there's something strange / in your Qt build / who ya gonna call / dflemstr! :)

:)

Much time since last update...

I've been waiting for Qt 4.7 to be launched -a requirement for Pangea-, and it still hasn't been, but did a Technology Preview of it. So I restarted development.

But there will be two versions of Pangea. The first will be released more or less at same time as the official Pandora release. I call it Pangea MINIMAL and it looks like this old (very old) mockup image. I'm currently working on it. It is the initial "Gmenu2x sustitute" promise I made.

The second is Pangea Pinjala,a more ambitious project that no longer will use Qt. But it will take A LOT more time to be developed. So that's the reason I'll first release Pangea MINIMAL.

And now, a hope so all of you get your Pandoras soon. I'll be working on Pangea meanwhile :)

Back