Pangea - New Design, Codename Pinjala

efegea said:
And now, a hope so all of you get your Pandoras soon. I'll be working on Pangea meanwhile :)

Thanks a heap!
I was also doing a mock-up and one thing lead to another I ended up designing a whole concept.
Afterwards I was displeased at my hand drawings that I redid them on MS Paint.
It was inspired a long time ago with Moblin, but re-ignited by your Pangea concept.
Would you like me to forward my ideas to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kangal said:
Thanks a heap!
I was also doing a mock-up and one thing lead to another I ended up designing a whole concept.
Afterwards I was displeased at my hand drawings that I redid them on MS Paint.
It was inspired a long time ago with Moblin, but re-ignited by your Pangea concept.
Would you like me to forward my ideas to you?

Why not? :)

efegea said:

I've got a few more things to draw up, then it will be about 50% completed.
The concept is fully completed (WordPad) but not the e-llustrations.
Once I've finalized the section I'm working on (today/tommorrow) I'll PM you with the zip (its large cause I saved it in .bmp).
So you can visualize the rest (50%) of the concept from the .txt
Or print the screenshots so you can "feel" how it will be finger touch friendly.
I'll probably upload a few shots of it unto the thread for all Padorites (or is it Pandorians) to see and comment.
Keep in mind, its supposed to be a desktop OS designed for portable devices (something as small as 5" screen for icons to be finger friendly) ...if that made sense.

Peace

Yeah this looks a nice menu system, like the idea of gestures/swiping the interface, hope it works nice, I'm not a fan of stylus' so if these gestures are easy to pull off with the old fingernail all the better

look forward to hopefully having this and minimenu as my alternative menu options

Oh, and I hope this menu is made so that the images used on your tabs there can be easy changed, id like to use my own images for each... That'd be sweet

nice work

efegea said:

Hey how's progress?
Sorry I meant to forward you my work but I've been busy and haven't had the spare time to finish a few areas.
So just sending this to let you know my concept isn't vaporware, I'm still working on it and you will get to see it soon.

I've just resumed today, and instead of doing the just a few things like I planned, I ended up doing more detailed.
So when you flip through each slide it is like a video/ppt. IE You feel like you are using it and grasp it quickly.
In other words, I've done less than I planned but did it better than planned.
I'll try and finish (pictures) each aspect that I have in mind of the concept.
I'll also completely redo the WordPad so it is more "illustrative" on the seegments that I have left un-drawn.
Just to give you an idea: I've done everything
except:
1) Draw multitasking (albiet 1 example)
2) Draw the Settings folder and contents (trust me its feature-packed and would take about 100 slides)
3) Draw the "Today" Program (also feature-packed, similar to TouchFlo)
4) Draw any embedded-applications (eg the Media Player except the Explorer)
5) Draw any 3rd party Applications
6) Draw the Task Manager (though it supposed to look like the Ubuntu/Windows one)
edit="7) Forgot t mention the Search feature in action"

So, all in all 50% finished concept.

This concept IS NOT PANDORA SPECIFIC.
It goes great for:
Home Entertainment consoles (like a full-featured OS for the Wii****),
Notebooks (but lets be serious it wont displace Windows 7),
Netbooks (feature packed yet simple, mouse-support yet finger friendly)
Tablets (same deal as netbooks)
PMP's (one's with a screen larger than 4" ... would still be F@ Awesome on Pandy)
N900 (more feature oriented than N900 and somewhat simpler use)

****Cursor control via Wiimote would be easy when icons and buttons scale larger on the big screen!

efegea said:

PS: My internet connection has slowed down alot. I mean the dead-ancestor-of-a-snail-from-prehistoric-era-walking pace. Only sites I can access are the text only, or sites with no video and very little images ... eg this thread opens in about 55seconds :blink:

I have as of now; 85 finalized slides.
Each is saved as BMP so its high-quality and easier for me to edit with MSPaint.
Each is roughly 540KB so total should be around 48MBs

So how can I forward these to you?
I can convert to JPEG and that might shave it to around 60KB each or a total of roughly 6MBs.
What can I do to make forwarding possible/easy?

Cheers

Oh BTW
All icons were made by me from scratch. That's why they are raw. All illustrations are to support the concept, so its not the final deal.

The only icons that I however did borrow from other sources are the:
Camera icon on the Superbar (start/programs bar) with light editing to size and icon's background colour = ie from blue to orange
Firefox icon on the Superbar with light editing to size and icon's background colour = ie from blue to orange
Paint icon on the Superbar with light editing to size and icon's background colour = ie from blue to orange
PDA icon (labeled My Device) in System folder (ie My Computer) with light editing to size.
Recycle bin icon (labeled Trash) in System folder with light editing to size.
Memory card icon (labelled MMC) in System folder with light editing to size.
Search icon (ie Magnifying glass) in each "Explorer" that's fullscreen or has the "menubar" exposed.

All said icons were borrowed from Windows 7 icon set, ie MS do not sue me!

I'm at this moment trying a new improved design, far more practical than the first design. Scrollable desktops, three as default. The first one is the application launcher, on the other two (or more, the user can configure the number of desktops) the user can add widgets, application shortcuts, folders.. on a grid container. I think this design is better and more practical than that big buttons and sliding windows of the first design (and more intuitive)

My idea is also to make Pangea not Pandora-specific and I have a lot of ideas for it, but it'll take some time, as I also have to work on more projects.

Perhaps you can upload your concept images on some site like megaupload and send me the link via private message? The image format could be jpeg or png.

Back