Parts, Boards and the Rotator

for the time being I'd rather ED focussed on getting the Pyra out at all, and not worry too much about cooling a hungry x86 chip and licensing Windows from MS.
I completely agree.

I'd expect that IF there is a x86 board someday would depend on how Intel handles the apollo lake tablet line they have said would be coming. I expect they will be more power hungry than the current atoms as they are apparently only for "high end" tablets witch would be a deal breaker.

Ok i think for most "NeoRetroGames" up to Windows 98/2000 Area..Qemu will do shure a good Job too.
Exagear is faster than Qemu and maybe we have a WineX86 with 3D Support for all in the Future.
Games like X-Beyond the Frontier,Descent3,RagnarokOnline,Flyff...
...should be work with bit Fiddeling on the Pyra too.

I encountered ARM first with the Pandora and you Guys showed me what it realy can.
GLSHim was important because it close the differrence from OpenGLes to OpenGL.
Now many OpensourceGames which need OpenGL can be played on the Pandora.
I am impressed from ARM Computers.

But an X86 Soc can make many Things more easy.
We have Wine directly and more Games Work out of the Box without much Fiddeling.

I wish no pure Arm Soc,no pure X86...
..i want a Hybrid Cpu Board.
We can use an X86 as CoCpu then :D

@PowerPC-discussion :
Anyway, I just choose a random group of people spending way too much money on stuff that isn't worth it.

Ah, for PowerPC stuff that'd be the die hard Amiga fans then ;) I clung on far too long myself but bailed just before going the PPC route. The straw for me was when I realised my next upgrade would have to be a move to a £100+ tower kit that wouldn't actually do anything for my setup other than allow me to spend more money on it in the future.

But an X86 Soc can make many Things more easy.
We have Wine directly and more Games Work out of the Box without much Fiddeling.

I wish no pure Arm Soc,no pure X86...
..i want a Hybrid Cpu Board.
We can use an X86 as CoCpu then :D
Yeah it would be the easy way but some would say "so would be using Windows" (although most people here know that this isn't true).
Personally, I'd like to see more stuff ported to ARM and to do that: More open sources.

Was that GPD Win bit an idle threat or do you actually have one? Would love to see size comparison pics between it and the Pyra.

Ah, for PowerPC stuff that'd be the die hard Amiga fans then ;) I clung on far too long myself but bailed just before going the PPC route. The straw for me was when I realised my next upgrade would have to be a move to a £100+ tower kit that wouldn't actually do anything for my setup other than allow me to spend more money on it in the future.

Like me then :) I still use a Mac Mini G4 with MorphOS on it for my modern Amiga needs.

But I won't buy the new X5000 motherboard as it's insanely expensive.

Re: x86 chips, I am currently more interested in the chances of getting an SoC with a decent FOSS graphics driver and/or Vulkan support. Would such a thing be viable by, say 2018? 2019? Partly, though, it is because the chance of a decent x86_64 chip being used seems to get more remote as time passes.

Would such a thing be viable by, say 2018? 2019? Partly, though, it is because the chance of a decent x86_64 chip being used seems to get more remote as time passes.
AMD plans to finish up their custom K12 ARM architecture by 2017, but I don't know whether they're going to target the mobile segment with it - apparently they do want to target embedded systems as well, but that doesn't really say anything about whether it will have a GPU. They originally even planned to develop a hybrid CPU with x86 and ARM cores, but that got canceled. Anyway, a Radeon GPU would be neat.

AMD plans to finish up their custom K12 ARM architecture by 2017, but I don't know whether they're going to target the mobile segment with it - apparently they do want to target embedded systems as well, but that doesn't really say anything about whether it will have a GPU. They originally even planned to develop a hybrid CPU with x86 and ARM cores, but that got canceled. Anyway, a Radeon GPU would be neat.

A Radeon and some ARM cores would be amazing. That said, AMD still hasn't shipped A1100.

I didn't know what the PGS was before I read this update, but I find it a little odd. They canceled the project and in their latest update they said they didn't it because people were saying they were a scam, which confuses me. I think they shouldn't care what people say, and if it really does exist, they should just keep the kickstarter running and release it when they can. The fact that they did cancel it make me feel that they really are a scam. Not sure if I am missing some facts but it all seems pretty fishy to me, and this isn't even mentioning the low price and high specs.

Anyways awesome update. Sounds like it is really coming along.

I didn't know what the PGS was before I read this update, but I find it a little odd. They canceled the project and in their latest update they said they didn't it because people were saying they were a scam, which confuses me. I think they shouldn't care what people say, and if it really does exist, they should just keep the kickstarter running and release it when they can. The fact that they did cancel it make me feel that they really are a scam. Not sure if I am missing some facts but it all seems pretty fishy to me, and this isn't even mentioning the low price and high specs.
I think this belongs here:
https://www.pyra-handheld.com/board...ing-handheld-gpd-win-competitor.77205/page-47

Back