Picodrive 1.10

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
After quite a bit of time another peace of code reached usable state. This time it is Sega CD support (well, sort of).

Currently only Sonic CD seems to work. But even that is missing some stuff, like PCM sound and mode7-style graphics emulation in bonus stages. Why would I release this in such unfinished state? I saw the "is Sega CD possible" question too many times, so this is something for you to evaluate and decide for your self. I'm also not sure if there is enough demand for this thing (for me it is good enough, I only need to increase compatibility for all those RPGs to work).

So what is emulated?
another 68k @ 12.5MHz: yes, Cyclone core
gfx chip, custom ASIC: not yet (faked only)
PCM sound source: not yet
CD-ROM controller: yes (mostly)
bram (internal backup RAM): yes

Not much? It might look like, but it took quite a bit of time to even make the BIOS boot. The work was mostly to read Gens' asm and recode that stuff in C. This is not a direct port, this is a rewrite, that's why it is in such unfinished state.

some warnings before you run it:
sound MUST be set to 44100 stereo, or else cdda music will be played at wrong speeds.
mp3 decoding is done by ARM940 core, so you must enable "use ARM940 for sound" to get cdda music
Sonic CD will first complain about unformatted BRAM, you need to press A on BIOS title screen when it says "press start button", format BRAM and then boot.
reset option doesn't work, you must reload ISO to restart
this version is slightly slower for normal Genesis emulation due to some optimizations temporarily disabled (use 0.964 for Genesis stuff)
read included readme for more info

list of most wanted games to be emulated
The development is done by loading up a game and seeing what hardware features it is trying to use and then trying to implement them. So I ask you (the community) which games do you want to see emulated next? Maybe somebody can setup a poll or something?
  • Snatcher
  • Shining Force CD (already works if you skip intro?)
  • Lunar: Eternal Blue
  • Lunar 2: The Silver Star
  • Night Trap
  • about a half of all other SegaCD games :)
gmv support
I recently discovered tas movies and liked them much, so I added basic gmv support. Unfortunately most movies desync because those movies were recorded on Gens, which has different timings. Movies I found to work are:more to come, probably need a list in wiki

gmv naming
GMVs must be named [full_romname].gmv, for example if you have Sonic.zip , you need to use Sonic.zip.gmv (case must match!)

download 1.10

After quite a bit of time another peace of code reached usable state. This time it is Sega CD support (well, sort of).

Currently only Sonic CD seems to work. But even that is missing some stuff, like PCM sound and mode7-style graphics emulation in bonus stages. Why would I release this in such unfinished state? I saw the "is Sega CD possible" question too many times, so this is something for you to evaluate and decide for your self. I'm also not sure if there is enough demand for this thing (for me it is good enough, I only need to increase compatibility for all those RPGs to work).

So what is emulated?
another 68k @ 12.5MHz: yes, Cyclone core
gfx chip, custom ASIC: not yet (faked only)
PCM sound source: not yet
CD-ROM controller: yes (mostly)
bram (internal backup RAM): yes

Not much? It might look like, but it took quite a bit of time to even make the BIOS boot. The work was mostly to read Gens' asm and recode that stuff in C. This is not a direct port, this is a rewrite, that's why it is in such unfinished state.

some warnings before you run it:
sound MUST be set to 44100 stereo, or else cdda music will be played at wrong speeds.
mp3 decoding is done by ARM940 core, so you must enable "use ARM940 for sound" to get cdda music
Sonic CD will first complain about unformatted BRAM, you need to press A on BIOS title screen when it says "press start button", format BRAM and then boot.
reset option doesn't work, you must reload ISO to restart
this version is slightly slower for normal Genesis emulation due to some optimizations temporarily disabled (use 0.964 for Genesis stuff)
read included readme for more info

download 1.10

BUT DOES IT PLAY WILLY BEAMISH?!?!?!?!?!?!

...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, bring it on! Big interest in playing the Sega CD games. It's once aspect of Genesis I've never explored at all.

I've heard of snatcher and would love to play it - Hideo Kojima game, right? Same guy from Metal Gear Solid and all that?

Wow, never thought I'd see this! Impressive!

I realize it won't play much yet, but what a great proof of concept. I recently checked out some Sega CD games on an Xbox emu and was amazed by how good they were -- Popfulmail would be purrrfect for GP2X.

I'd love to see SegaCD get polished up properly, if you're willing to give it a go. Most notably for Lunar and, of course, Snatcher. Let alone Willy Beamish. Ah, there weren't many SCD games, but there were some rather good ones, really :)

woohoo soon maybe road blaster FX /road avenger. Maybe 1 day even tomcat ally but i dont think the gp2x can handle the bad acting.

still excellent progress.

Wow, impressive work. Can't say that Sega CD is something I'm terribly interested in on a handheld, but I will be interested to see how playable this might become.

Okay, some first tests:

SonicCD: Runs like a dream.
Mickey Mania: Crashes.
Lunar - The Silver Star: Crashes after the "Working Designs presents Lunar"-Logo
Vay: Crashes
Popful Mail: Crashes

Soo... not much fun except SonicCD, but if the compatibility gets higher... WOW!
SonicCD is already running fullspeed with sound... notaz, I love you (and I haven't forgotten about your subdomain) :D

Anyone tried any American Laser Games games? (Mad Dog McCree, Who Shot Johnny Rock?)

That would siiiick :D

Back