Picodrive 1.31

I tested Radical Rex in Gens, and it didn't work there either. I probably have a bad ISO.

However, Chuck Rock has problems with the intro (sound plays but video seems stuck) in Picodrive but runs fine in Gens.

Okay, this is just a theory on my part, if anyone can verify it.

Since the buffering is there to combat the SD card read speed limitations, if this were to be run off of a USB drive in combination with the BOB, would that be remedied? I don't own a large enough USB drive to test this out at the moment, but I'll get to it once I do if no one else can verify this for me.

Usually its the interface not the memory that is the bottleneck. So it might be faster, it might not be...depends how fast the USB interface is.

notaz posted on Mar 27 2007 at 05:16 PM said:
Cervante posted on Mar 27 2007 at 11:28 PM said:
Popful mail will not work , can anyone help me out here? running Pico 1.31, am I using the wrong bios or something?
Have you tried enabling "better sync" and resetting the game? Which BIOS do you use?

im using US version of the bios, also it dosent diplay popful mail MP3 files. just the ISO but the MP3 files are there..

Last edited by a moderator:
Are other people having trouble with saving configs? I want the global speed to be set to 140mhz for all my Genesis games, and then I will deal with the Sega CD games on a case-by-case basis (the "this game only" choice). However, my global (default) one keeps changing when I set a new speed for an individual game... :unsure:

EDIT: Playing through Sonic the Hedgehog 3 just now, I've had two occassions of freezing which haven't ever happened on any older version. One happened when I just let the game sit at the start menu and play through the intro movie and things until it just froze on a white screen (but can still get to Picodrive menu). This most recent time was when I jumped through the BIG ring that takes you to the special stage. This was on the Hydrocity zone (which is Zone 2, and I believe it was the first stage). This is the US version.

shinneri posted on Mar 28 2007 at 05:57 AM said:
Are other people having trouble with saving configs? I want the global speed to be set to 140mhz for all my Genesis games, and then I will deal with the Sega CD games on a case-by-case basis (the "this game only" choice). However, my global (default) one keeps changing when I set a new speed for an individual game... :unsure:
I haven't got my GP2x on me, but isn't there a setting in the advanced options called 'don't save settings on exit'? I think you want this to be ON. :)

shinneri posted on Mar 28 2007 at 02:24 AM said:
I tested Radical Rex in Gens, and it didn't work there either. I probably have a bad ISO.
Gens can't run this game, PD inherited that too. Works in Kega Fusion, will try to look at it..

Cervante posted on Mar 28 2007 at 07:24 AM said:
im using US version of the bios, also it dosent diplay popful mail MP3 files. just the ISO but the MP3 files are there..
If you are talking about file browser, it doesn't have to display your mp3 files. If about BIOS CD player, then your files are not correctly named. Make sure the case matches. Try to start a fresh copy of PD, then enable "better sync", and then load.

halo9 posted on Mar 28 2007 at 09:49 AM said:
Are other people having trouble with saving configs?
[...]
I haven't got my GP2x on me, but isn't there a setting in the advanced options called 'don't save settings on exit'? I think you want this to be ON. :)
Yeah it overwrites the global config with whatever you had during exit of emulator (unless you turn on that option). Probably should only save the last ROM ran?

shinneri posted on Mar 28 2007 at 07:57 AM said:
EDIT: Playing through Sonic the Hedgehog 3 just now, I've had two occassions of freezing which haven't ever happened on any older version. One happened when I just let the game sit at the start menu and play through the intro movie and things until it just froze on a white screen (but can still get to Picodrive menu). This most recent time was when I jumped through the BIG ring that takes you to the special stage. This was on the Hydrocity zone (which is Zone 2, and I believe it was the first stage). This is the US version.
This looks serious, will try to reproduce..

notaz posted on Mar 28 2007 at 04:04 AM said:
halo9 posted on Mar 28 2007 at 09:49 AM said:
Are other people having trouble with saving configs?
[...]
Yeah it overwrites the global config with whatever you had during exit of emulator (unless you turn on that option). Probably should only save the last ROM ran?
Yeah, I think that would be better. I knew about the option and thought I'd turned it on but I hadn't. Does that mean the setting will be "OFF" for all the Sega CD games I've already made individual configs for?

notaz posted on Mar 28 2007 at 04:04 AM said:
shinneri posted on Mar 28 2007 at 07:57 AM said:
This looks serious, will try to reproduce..
Yes, I was just able to reproduce it. It actually froze on a black screen this time and is making a humming noise (I believe the noise it was making when it froze)... This happened as the intro movie was fading out and going back to the Sega logo and then start menu.

I didn't even know this came out. Fantastic! Thank you for efforts Notaz! I use Picodrive more than anything so I'll have to donate when I get paid again soon.

Anyone know if the sound issue in the 2nd Act of Snatcher has been fixed since the last version (1.20)? The scene with Random, Gillian and the snatchers before the explosion?

I won't be able to try this out till the weekend (on my girlfriends's GP2X), but this sounds great!

When i play altered beast and get the 3 power-ups to transform, the screen turns blue as part of the transformation animation but stays there. The music continues to play but the game seems to be stuck on the blue screen.

The version of my ROM is... "Altered Beast (UE) (REV02) [!]".

Yorper posted on Mar 28 2007 at 08:23 PM said:
When i play altered beast and get the 3 power-ups to transform, the screen turns blue as part of the transformation animation but stays there. The music continues to play but the game seems to be stuck on the blue screen.

The version of my ROM is... "Altered Beast (UE) (REV02) [!]".
This is the same issue as with previously mentioned Sonic 3. It was broken DMA timing emulation, fixed. For now, you can just enable "accurate timing" and it should stop hanging.

god_at_hell posted on Mar 28 2007 at 09:44 PM said:
@Jaguarandine: The bug in snatcher is still present ... but it's only this one scene, so it's not sooo bad :)
Maybe it just needs "better sync" for that scene?

Would people say this is a 'better' (greater compability, better fps at lower clock speeds etc) emu for Megadrive games than the excellent DrMD?

Mr Pace posted on Mar 28 2007 at 10:53 PM said:
Would people say this is a 'better' (greater compability, better fps at lower clock speeds etc) emu for Megadrive games than the excellent DrMD?

Yes, no question. PicoDrive is a "must-have" for GP2x.

Regards,
Stephan

sbock posted on Mar 28 2007 at 11:00 PM said:
Mr Pace posted on Mar 28 2007 at 10:53 PM said:

Yes, no question. PicoDrive is a "must-have" for GP2x.

Regards,
Stephan

indeed, absolutely killer, catapulting the gp2x to the no. 1 handheld for emulation

Wow this Pico Drive is unreal! and this version has fixed my non-loading Sensible Soccer (which DrMdX ran nicely). It also runs Herzog Zwei/Forgotten Worlds better than anything else.

but yeah, nice work Notaz..this thing kicks balls.

I still runn DrMDx (for SMS/GG) and because my "investment" into Wonderboy IV is in that savestate.

Yesterday I finished Sonic 3, the first Time on GP2X with PicoDrive. Of course without Chaos Emeralds but I could play the whole game bug-free. :) Only the FPS are not as good as I thougt they are with older Picodrive Versions. No constant 60FPS. Maybe Sonic 3 is not so easy to emulate like the older Sonic Games, I don't know. But normaly I have pretty constant FPS with 200MHz 2. CPU, RAM Tweaks and the 16Bit renderer in such Games. Sonic 3 sometimes drop to 40 FPS here and there (but not in the 3D Special Stages - funny :lol: )

Sweet, smart thinking on the read-ahead Notaz! With a read-ahead of 2048, I can play Maddog McCree and Who Shot Johnny Rock :)

Thanks!

This emu is amazing! Thank you very much! Right now make my way through Wonderboy-6 (english patch) with underclocking 120MHz!

But there is one question i must ask, havent found any mention of this on the boards, well it isn`t serios, just whim of mine, but...
Is there any way i could stretch emu at fullscreen? It is always small black stripe at the top and another one at the bottom of the screen, where FPS counter is. I`ve found it in Picodrive and Pocketsnes but in Gpfce and Squidgesnes fullscrean mode is full.

Of course it doesn`t really matter, emulator is perfect! I`m so happy :)

Back