Pidgin keeps freezing

shideneyu

Still Fresh
Hello,

Pidgin doesn't want to work on my Pandora. I wanna use it for windows live messenger, but each time I'm connecting to my account, it freezes.

Therefore, I can't use it, and I have no other messenger available on my Pandora :(

Any help someone :( ?

Sorry about that. that a known issue. There is just to many bugs in pidgin for one man to fix (see their bug tracker)

If there is a new version I might do a new package for you, but dont expect miracle.

Use a more open protocols : they are better supported

Thanks you for your answer ;)

The main problem is that everyone I know just don't know the hidden world of software engineering;

If I'm telling them "Do you know Jabber?", they would just all ask "Who is Jabber?"

Great

Even they begin to use jabber, new people I'll meet would always use msn nor facebook

Ok I tried to make "Emesene" works on my Pandora (I use to use it on my main computer). I'm a complete newb as I have to search by myself how to do everything, and PND's are remaining to be a big secret for me. Therfore, the only thing I'm able to do is trying to convert deb to ipk, thanks google, with these commands:

tar x <package>.deb

tar cvzf <package>.ipk ./debian-binary ./data.tar.gz ./control.tar.gz

However, the last issue are dependancies. And here is my problem ! :

Installing emesene (2.11.7+dfsg-1) to root...

emesene: unsatisfied recommendation for python-gst0.10

emesene: unsatisfied recommendation for python-xmpp

emesene: unsatisfied recommendation for python-gtkspell

Collected errors:

* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for emesene:

* python-gtk2 (>= 2.12) * python-papyon (>= 0.5.4) * python-cairo * python-notify * python-webkit * python-gobject *

* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package emesene.

Even I succeed to make it work, I won't be able to convert the IPK package to PND My knowledge is just not enough xd

I would like to be able to do everything on my own, like I usually do when I first began to use linux two years ago; this is harsh from me, but there is not enough documentation for me; I'm sorry for everyone who are working hard to make it different :ph34r:

There are a lot of software that I tried to make work on the Pandora, but because of the lack of depedancies, none of my IPK work. And the Angstrom repo doesn't help for this :unsure:

Sorry, I'm telling you that in order you don't say I'm stupid (even If I'm), I just searched a lot and I'm exhausted now

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I tried to make "Emesene" works on my Pandora (I use to use it on my main computer). I'm a complete newb as I have to search by myself how to do everything, and PND's are remaining to be a big secret for me. Therfore, the only thing I'm able to do is trying to convert deb to ipk

There are a lot of software that I tried to make work on the Pandora, but because of the lack of depedancies, none of my IPK work. And the Angstrom repo doesn't help for this :unsure:

I think converting debs into ipks is rarely likely to work to be honest. Even you get the debs from lenny, there's a good chance they'll have loads of unsatisfied dependencies on a Pandora (either because the files aren't there, or they're named slightly differently, or their version is too low).

It may be worth your while looking into Stuckie's debian extends (on the gp32x forum), so you can use apt-get to download debian files and all their dependencies, and then run the app from within the extend.

Regarding emesene though - it's mostly Python (some of it's dependencies were C), so I built it from sources on my Pandora. I've made a quick PND (attached to this post), maybe you could try it out and let me know if it works? I tried it with Google Talk (it connects), but I don't use chat normally, so I didn't know how to test it properly. If its any good, I'll make a proper pnd (with previews pics etc) and repo it.

EDIT: attachment removed and pnd repo'd

Oh thanks you very much

I tested it, and it works :D !!!! I thought it was freezing when I first tried to connect, but after having wait 2 minutes, it succeeds to connect and display my contact list

I'm so happy, even the sound works :wub:

Even it is a bit slow when I'm using it, it works, and I will never be able to thanks you the way I want, it would take years :D

Thanks you, this is the second time you help me, I will try to understand how pnd are working in order I help people (and myself) as well ^_^

Back