Planned Original Games?

Orion4874 said:
Was there ever any talk of an MMO for Pandorians? I only ask because I seem to remember something being discussed but it may have been in an Android forum. Search turned up nothing.

Eniko was working on an original MMORPG for the Pandora that I was really excited about, called PanMMO. It was going to be similar in style to the Ultima games, IIRC. Here's the topic: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/44997-makin-mah-mmo/page__hl__MMORPG

She hasn't posted since sometime around March last year, tho'. But maybe she'll start back up now that the Pandora's are shipping out. ;)

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
I was working on a 'next-gen' (lol) Dizzy clone in Novashell. If clanlib gets ported to the Pandora then it should run on the system.

However work stopped after I put out a video of a WIP hoping to find an interested GFX artist to help out and didn't get any responses :(

I'm working on an original 2D platformer for the PC. I'll quite happily port it to the Pandora when it's ready. :D

Pleng said:
I was working on a 'next-gen' (lol) Dizzy clone in Novashell. If clanlib gets ported to the Pandora then it should run on the system.

However work stopped after I put out a video of a WIP hoping to find an interested GFX artist to help out and didn't get any responses :(

We need a "holding pen" thread for "Games requring art work". The thread should have some still images with chilishly drawn arrows and typed instructions indicating gameplay, and some videos with whatever graphics (even if that means "Cyan Triangle" for mountain) and those same graphics inline at 1:1 so the artists can see what workspace they have to fill. Not necessarily for the twhole game, but one level complete. I bet if there was a thread like this, where artists could tinker away with ideas and only present some results when they feel they have passed some critical barrier of their own then you'd be likely to see more Pandorians have a go at something :)

I have a few planned. I'm currently working on a multiplayer cross-platform surival horror first person shooter (a MPXPSHFPS, if you will), following that up with a multiplayer online role playing game, cross-platform, as well.

Monk said:
We need a "holding pen" thread for "Games requring art work". The thread should have some still images with chilishly drawn arrows and typed instructions indicating gameplay, and some videos with whatever graphics (even if that means "Cyan Triangle" for mountain) and those same graphics inline at 1:1 so the artists can see what workspace they have to fill. Not necessarily for the twhole game, but one level complete. I bet if there was a thread like this, where artists could tinker away with ideas and only present some results when they feel they have passed some critical barrier of their own then you'd be likely to see more Pandorians have a go at something :)

Not a bad idea.

Here's my video of one level (well, scene) almost complete. Just needs a bit of tweaking and a loving GFX artist to take care of it! Trouble is, without Clanlib being ported to OpenGLES, I can't really guarantee it'll ever make it to Pandora.

Holy hell Pleng, that is a fantastic idea! I love dizzy, well, apart from treasure island dizzy which made me want to punch old ladies in the boobs.

Alerino said:
PokeParadox said:
PandoraPanic! is already in the archives. Primarily for Pandora, but I'm not withholding EXEs or other platform binaries should you wish to play the game elsewhere. The game was made for Pandora specifically, however.

Hey Poke, do you have videos showing Panic? Thanks, have a good night.

PandoraPanic! Trailer

I'm also working on a Musical Platform Game called "Mr. Mike in Musicworld", did art for Pandjoust (a sidescroller based on Joust) and doing art for Wandor (a Warioland II inspired sidescroller).

Pleng said:
Here's my video of one level (well, scene) almost complete. Just needs a bit of tweaking and a loving GFX artist to take care of it! Trouble is, without Clanlib being ported to OpenGLES, I can't really guarantee it'll ever make it to Pandora.

Oh you are KIDDING ME! Aren't you? I mean, seriosuly... this is among the list of games that I looked at people saying they wanted to develop and I went "Meh, so many people will want to jump on board that idea, I just don't have the TIME to spare competing with better artists!". Making pointed comments on a forum is a lot less time-intensive than creating all the graphics for a game. I've offered, within my limited ability (combo of both time and talent) to help out on a couple of games where they are missing one or two little things, but... hmmm...

OK, some thoughts.

1. I think the general pirate "vibe" (the music and the gameplay shown, on a pirate ship in the sea) distract/confuse from the suggested Indy theme.
2. I think I need to watch the film again! I loved the film AND the game (and ALL adaptations - from book to film to comic strip to game to t-shirt) tend to miss out fan-favourite aspects that just don't suit the new medium.
3. I'd love to see if you got any further storyboarding the game...
4. Your willingness to discuss how the graphics should be done - to the extent of whether it should look 2D or 2.5D even - should interest lots of graphic artists, or people who'd like to experiment in the area. Because you're giving them the opportunity to be more than a paintbrush for hire.
5. "Homage" games - "Mickey Mouse does Prince of Persia" and so on can be tremendous fun to play :D .

OK - my usual level of bluntness out of the way, let's be coyer. I have commitments to two other games. I'm not that good, artistically, especially when it comes to low colour, low poly, low pixel count type things. On the other hand, if I can get you to do most of the work in doing things like specifying how many pixels high or wide you'd like to see X (background plate, figure sprite), how many frames to perform such-and-such an act in, and so on, and if we can work on the basis that I PROMISE nothing until after I've delivered it, I'd love to try and find the time to mess around in the Indy world graphically. Even if it's just providing some backgrounds that are ever so slightly more Indy-ish to use to fish for better artists. PM me if you think you can put up with my on/off offer AND personality flaws (no PM doesn't mean instant flame-on - it's not like I am short of stuff to do myself). And if you've got any kind of storyboard so far, that would be a great step forward.

Ta

Dragons_Slayer said:
I'm also working on a Musical Platform Game called "Mr. Mike in Musicworld", did art for Pandjoust (a sidescroller based on Joust) and doing art for Wandor (a Warioland II inspired sidescroller).

Any chance of you popping back to a/the PanJoust thread? I'm pretty sure they'd really love to get you to do some more sprites. The ones you did were terrific, but either more "characters" or more actions for the existing sprites would, I am SURE, be most appreciated!

Ta,

I have a turn-based multiplayer strategy game in the works. It's browser based, but among other platforms (PC, N900) we're (making this with a friend) targeting pandora in terms of system requirements and GUI design. My next project will probably be a 2D shooter/platformer aimed specifically for the pandora I've had in my mind for some time.

Im working on a 2d game very similar to 'thrust' but with a little bit of intra-level visual novel thrown in.

one day i'd like to do a top down 'voice adventure' like the valhalla series.

I'm currently storyboarding a small RPG based on the escapades of CraigIX, MWeston, ED and Fatih with a few cameos from forum members along the way. A year or two ago I wrote a small 2D game engine which will be perfect for this. Working title is "Jet Set CraigIX" but that may change.

Basic plot is to collect ideas from forum members which then have to be passed to MWeston for a design. Then take the preliminary design to ED. I'm thinking that there will be a few levels collecting credit card/paypal orders and getting them posted back, then having to collect re-orders... And of course a chinese section in a plastics factory. Stuff like that. Very Monty Mole/JSW orientated, with the goal of getting pandoras into boxes and out to the postage company.

D.

Monk said:
OK, some thoughts.

1. I think the general pirate "vibe" (the music and the gameplay shown, on a pirate ship in the sea) distract/confuse from the suggested Indy theme.

Yea it's all just sploged together at the moment. I found the music on a Dizzy fan site, it's a remix of Dizzy and Prince of The Yolkfok, if I remember correctly. I will be able to knock up some kind of parody of the Indy theme music, but that's the last thing to worry about really. As for the Pirate ship, well it's the first scene from the film that I thought could really fit into the game. Plus it was a good scene to show off all the 'non-dizzy' aspects of the gameplay (selecting what to say in conversations, pushing items around etc...).

2. I think I need to watch the film again!

You do. It doesn't matter how many times you've watched it; it's never 'enough'.

3. I'd love to see if you got any further storyboarding the game...

Only fuzzy ideas in my brain at the moment. Originally I wanted to try and make it a straight remake of the original action adventure in the style of a Dizzy game. After playing through the action adventure again, it became pretty apparent that a straight remake wouldn't work. The genres are just a bit too different. This prompted a week of watching the film at least once a day trying to visualise how scenes could be transposed. I have a few ideas but nothing written down as of yet - like I say without a graphics artist the project just pretty much got shelved.

4. Your willingness to discuss how the graphics should be done - to the extent of whether it should look 2D or 2.5D even - should interest lots of graphic artists, or people who'd like to experiment in the area. Because you're giving them the opportunity to be more than a paintbrush for hire.

I'm willing to listen to ideas and discuss all kinds of areas, not limited to graphics. 2.5D is something I myself considered would be pretty cool. Cartoon style hand drawn could work equally as well. As could photo-realistic. A mix of 2 of the three could also work well. One guy who was keen suggested using a real egg for Dizzyanna. I was sceptical at first but he gave me some sprites and they did look pretty cool. Unfortunately he wasn't able to continue working on it.

5. "Homage" games - "Mickey Mouse does Prince of Persia" and so on can be tremendous fun to play :D .

Yes. However I'm very apprehensive about this project. As far as I'm concerned The Last Crusade is the all time greatest film. And Dizzy is a childhood hero. The game would need to do both franchises the justice they deserve.

OK - ... step forward. did I over edit this quote?!! - Pleng

Ta

PM Sent

Just curious, but any dev's here have plans for making an original game for the Pandora?

I'm still working on a Gridwars-like clone that will use OpenGL ES and Bullet to implement an interesting tank-shooter from either a top-down 2D'like perspective or in-the-cockpit .. and I'm hoping to make it multiplayer.

I could *really* use a dedicated 3D artist who knows a little bit of details about rendering pipelines to help out with constructing models and stuff, but until I have a playable demo of the engine to highlight the areas I want the artist to contribute to, I'm just going to keep it pretty private for now .. but I hope that the arrival of the Pandora in my development environment will promote a bit more activity on this in the coming weeks, so yeah.. maybe I'll have something to play soon.

Pleng said:
Monk said:
OK, some thoughts.

Yea it's all just sploged together at the moment. I found the music on a Dizzy fan site, it's a remix of Dizzy and Prince of The Yolkfok, if I remember correctly. I will be able to knock up some kind of parody of the Indy theme music, but that's the last thing to worry about really. As for the Pirate ship, well it's the first scene from the film that I thought could really fit into the game. Plus it was a good scene to show off all the 'non-dizzy' aspects of the gameplay (selecting what to say in conversations, pushing items around etc...).

OK, I think I covered the bases in PM but this bit I wanted to go over - I think that while the gameplay is very clear in that level, it doesn't feel "Indy" enough to me to "sell" the concept. If I think "Indy" I'm all snakes, whip, sand and wooden crates in my head. Maybe tall statues, possibly a prop plane, "Arabs", or an unhappy tribe of "natives". Nazis, certainly. I could be wrong, but I think a splash of Indy-esque music and a more Indy-esque setting - however crudely done - might get the overall idea across betetr, and potentially (one may hope!) attract some better artists to The Cause.

I'll commit to seriously considering trying to help with, at the least, trying to produce some imagery that might help to give the kind of impression. The vibe/feel of the Indy franchise at first rather than a specific scene/level. Mmmm... if only I had more time today!

NOTE: I won't be providing any imagery I don't have the rights to provide. So nothing captured from a frame of the film, or "borrowed" from another game and so on. Just to be clear at the outset :)

Ta

quadomatic said:
Just curious, but any dev's here have plans for making an original game for the Pandora?

I'm making something ...
darkforest_tease.jpg
We'll see what becomes of it. -_-

I'm building an engine based on this toy: http://dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/dust/

Which I hope to extend to a full game, not just a toy. I just started learning Python last week, so I've been writing in pygame. Anyone know if there's a path to easily turn a python script into a .pnd?

I've been writing and testing on my n810, it's fun to be back programming games again.

Back