Planned Original Games?

Kicker said:
MDave said:
One of them being a classic overhead Zelda/Secret of Mana/Terrangima style game, with cooperative play :(

:blink: That's an incredibly great idea. Why can't you start making it right now? Wouldn't anything written in c or python with an sdl library and designed for a gamepad + keyboard not require many adjustments when you do get your Pandora? Or does Pandora development entail things I wot not of?

Well, we've already got some work under way for it, and it's going to be a commercial game for various platforms, but I really wanted to bring it over to the Pandora too ;) We want to take advantage of the hardware it has.

Last edited by a moderator:
MDave said:
Kicker said:
MDave said:
One of them being a classic overhead Zelda/Secret of Mana/Terrangima style game, with cooperative play :(

:blink: That's an incredibly great idea. Why can't you start making it right now? Wouldn't anything written in c or python with an sdl library and designed for a gamepad + keyboard not require many adjustments when you do get your Pandora? Or does Pandora development entail things I wot not of?

Well, we've already got some work under way for it, and it's going to be a commercial game for various platforms, but I really wanted to bring it over to the Pandora too ;) We want to take advantage of the hardware it has.

We're blessed to have your attention. Let me know when you start accepting pre-orders (or when you open a kickstarter page, or however you're going to fund it).

I have been working on an RPG intermittently for the past few months:
Video 1
Video 2

I have a few other vague ideas and unfinished projects laying about, but I don't want to say too much about them until I finish this one.

el_pango said:
Video 1
Video 2

I have a few other vague ideas and unfinished projects laying about, but I don't want to say too much about them until I finish this one.

Very nice music! Did you write it yourself?

el_pango said:
Video 1
Video 2

That's awesome! 5 days to do all that? You must of had something to work with already, surely? :p

benced said:
Art needed:
~~~~~~~~~~~

Music:
Dunno what sort. I like strauss...
Sound effects:
The ones I made are awful.
Need sliding and grinding noises for lifts and doors and stuff,
ship engine noises, laser noises, damage noises, ship computer 'woot
woot' noises, etc

Hey, I'm an electronic musician and sound designer and would like to help out any way I can. I've done futuristic sound design work in the past, so if you like, PM me an accurate list of all the FX you need and I should be able to come up with something. As to the music, I'd be able to make something electronic (suited to the space setting) if you like, or else i happen to have a brother who makes orchestral music, and I'm sure would be happy to be on board. If you don't like what I come up with I won't be offended if you don't use it. Sound fair? :D

The first version is finished

ElLogo2.png

As soon as my appstore account is approved, I'll upload the .pnd that SteveM so graciously packaged for me. =D

I'm still developing on the n810, I'm guessing it'll run around 20fps with a screenful of elements on the Pandora.

MDave said:
Oh and ZEQ2Lite :p

I thought you said Zeq2lite wouldn't be playable on Pandora since Quake 3 now only achieves 13fps*

*@500MHz, highest settings, 800x480 and (+set timedemo 1 +demo four)
the number of opponents/size of map/number of objects on screen weren't disclosed).

Maybe if you trim some details down and overclock (maybe to 800MHz) it might get at a playable speed.

What are you planning on?

Kangal said:
MDave said:
Oh and ZEQ2Lite :p

I thought you said Zeq2lite wouldn't be playable on Pandora since Quake 3 now only achieves 13fps*

*@500MHz, highest settings, 800x480 and (+set timedemo 1 +demo four)
the number of opponents/size of map/number of objects on screen weren't disclosed).

Maybe if you trim some details down and overclock (maybe to 800MHz) it might get at a playable speed.

What are you planning on?

Overclocking may indeed help, but I don't think it scales as linear we think? Need some further tests.

The plan is to make Pandora specific maps (though with a new optimization trick we have recently done, we might not need to make these).

Also, there is room for further optimization with the ioquake3 Pandora port, especially if VBO rendering is taken advantage of :) Also, I'm not sure but is there a wrapper of some sort for the opengl to opengles calls? I hear this doesn't add much overhead, but getting every ounce of power out of it is going to be necessary!

Is the ioquake3 port based on the n900 one? I wonder if there are any differences between cpasjuste's port and the n900's.

MDave said:
Overclocking may indeed help, but I don't think it scales as linear we think? Need some further tests.

The plan is to make Pandora specific maps (though with a new optimization trick we have recently done, we might not need to make these).

Also, there is room for further optimization with the ioquake3 Pandora port, especially if VBO rendering is taken advantage of :) Also, I'm not sure but is there a wrapper of some sort for the opengl to opengles calls? I hear this doesn't add much overhead, but getting every ounce of power out of it is going to be necessary!

Is the ioquake3 port based on the n900 one? I wonder if there are any differences between cpasjuste's port and the n900's.

Sounds promising.

I was also had this idea (might not appeal to you):
Change the port slightly to make it Dragonball or early DBZ
So characters jump really high and survive those falls/landing
Characters run very fast and engage hand-to-hand combat
Characters can also shoot chi (energy) balls/beams but smaller sized/less powered than usual
Perhaps add weapons (magic stick/sword/spear) which becomes unlocked, only selectable before matches (so your really choosing another .pk3 model) and the hand-hand moves are overwritten with the weapon (adds damage and reach).
Perhaps add ninja's/assassins/soldiers/henchmen which are weak enemies that attack you in bulk.
If you need a storyline it could be Kid Goku -> Garlic Jr Movie/Raditz

This should help:
Keep the maps smaller
Remove some features that might slow gameplay (powering up, transforming, beam struggles, flying etc)
Gives you an excuse to remove those features
Adds new experiences to the ZEQ-games
Make the game light enough for other devices (eg N900/WinMo/Android phones)

This could be a ZEQ2Lite Prequel and the original ZEQ2Lite port could pick-up after this.

What do you think?

Well, one of our goals and main attractions of our game, is how customizable it is ;) You can create new attacks or modify existing ones, simply by editing a text file :) you can create many types of energy attacks, you have full control of how the attacks will look, and you can even customize a characters speed, strength, aura colors and effects and many more through text files too. I guess a 3D MUGEN is the closest example of how customizable it is :)

The hard part is making the character models and animations I suppose, though if you know how to make Half-Life models, it's exactly the same process and tools :)

Well, since I'm still waiting on my App Store approval:

http://www.splitreflection.com/~paw/elements/elemental.pnd

There's the first version of the Elements game - it's pretty much a falling sand game, but with lots more element interactions. Obviously it doesn't have fancy graphics or anything yet, but the gameplay is all there. =D

EDIT:

Oh, and you can pretty much play it with just the touchscreen, but some additional controls:
Up/Down (and F7/F8): Runs up and down the list of various elements
F or F6: Toggles fullscreen. Probably not terribly useful right now as it doesn't resize the window from 800x480.
E: Selects the top element (the eraser)
Escape or Enter: Exits the game

Oh, and a screenshot running on my n810:

screenshot04.png

Elemental rules! First thing I've run on my Pandora where I go "hell yeah" and play it for a few hours .. ;) Nice one!

(Plus it helps that my 3 year old loves it too ..)

torpor said:
Elemental rules! First thing I've run on my Pandora where I go "hell yeah" and play it for a few hours .. ;) Nice one!

(Plus it helps that my 3 year old loves it too ..)

Awesome. Glad you're having fun with it. I did write it with the intent of it being something my almost 3 year old could play with. He likes it, but I think it needs more icons for him to really grok it. Not that he knows what lava is, though...

MDave said:
el_pango said:
Video 1
Video 2

That's awesome! 5 days to do all that? You must of had something to work with already, surely? :p

The tilemap code was salvaged from another project, and the entire thing runs on top of Allegro, but yeah, the five days thing is more or less right (I didn't sleep much).

Dev kind of stalled when I realized I had made some dumb architectural decisions, so everything in the demo is probably going to get gutted and refactored.

While we're talking about it, does anyone know what shape the Allegro port in the Debian repository is in, or, barring that, can someone grab 4.3.x from alleg.sf.net and see if it builds and and can go fullscreen on the device? (I don't have mine yet and haven't had a chance to try out my Beagleboard.)

Back