Planned Original Games?

Pleng said:
I was working on a 'next-gen' (lol) Dizzy clone in Novashell. If clanlib gets ported to the Pandora then it should run on the system.

However work stopped after I put out a video of a WIP hoping to find an interested GFX artist to help out and didn't get any responses :(

I still feel bad about not really being able to do it too. I was always a wiz at static images, but making multiple aspects of those is MUCH harder than it seems. I'm still hoping to find that when our Panda's ship someone ports some sort of easy to work with Pixel drawing type program. If I could use my hands with a touchscreen and grid, then maybe, but a mouse with what I had found to work with gave me trouble to come up with anything useful. Edit: Even the GIMP might be enough, I just need the touchscreen more than anything else. I'm suddenly wondering why I never used my Gif animator software to see if I could have done things better. :(

All I can say is if I ever figure out something that works for me, and I manage to learn enough to do it right. You will be hearing from me again about finishing the project. Assuming someone with more talent hasn't already come along. From what I saw of what you had done, there was some real promise there.

Edit: Ahh, didn't read whole thread. See Monk is helping now. So everything is in order then!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm making one - http://sites.google.com/site/reignofbrains

First level is mostly done, cross-platform demo available. Future development will focus on the pandora.

=)

Screen%20shot%202010-05-04%20at%208.40.55%20PM.png

Poem58 said:
Edit: Ahh, didn't read whole thread. See Monk is helping now. So everything is in order then!

You don't get away that easily! I'm only going to try and help out so long as my style/efforts help AND the time is free AND the project hasn't attracted someone better. I am NOT the "someone better" that let's YOU off the hook! Pack your bags - we're going on a guilt trip! ;)

Poem58
Monk said:
Poem58 said:

You don't get away that easily! I'm only going to try and help out so long as my style/efforts help AND the time is free AND the project hasn't attracted someone better. I am NOT the "someone better" that let's YOU off the hook! Pack your bags - we're going on a guilt trip! ;)

Dude, I've been on this trip for a year. It's nice to have someone riding along with me...lol.
Basically I hacked together a Dizzy made from a pic of an actual egg and put a hat,gloves,boots etc on him. Pleng seemed to love it. However, Making alternate views was just beyond me. I can do static images, but have no artistic ability beyond that. I jumped in to the ocean, before I learned to swim. The desire was there, the experience was not. I would have to back down on character sprites to using a more traditional cartoon style and try again. However, the mouse just isn't doing it for me. I mean backgrounds and stuff. No problem. Also, I have to share my Laptop with my wife and kid. Along with dealing with health issues and meds and the like while watching my kid etc. etc.
Basically, I need my Pandora where I can do what I want, a way that works for me, anytime, with no one else to have to share or protect files from (yes, my 5 year old has learned Windows well enough to at one point redefine the location of the desktop to a sub folder within itself which took me nearly 2 hours to find and fix the problem. The desktop was blank, but still there according to any program, it was odd! I even had to hack the registry, still trying to figure out how he would have done it accidentally and I can't. Maybe Daddy taught him TOO well?) So once I have an environment where I can feel comfortable and safe with my work. I plan on getting with you two and working this game out.

So C'mon let's get these Panda's out!!! I can't wait!

Cheesy Original Prototype Dizzy
standing_00.png

This still needed a lot of work, and was just a concept.
Really looks dumb without actual arms...lol

Poem58 said:
Dude, I've been on this trip for a year. It's nice to have someone riding along with me...lol.
standing_00.png

We may need to get a room :)

Err - thread, I mean thread. I like the prototype, and I have some ideas of my own about using 3D software to more easily create different views of the same character. I have several ideas for the main character now I think about it. If I don't see one there first, I will probably start a new thread as soon as I've had a chance to knock something up. But it's going to take me a few days at minimum simply because I have other stuff to do so I can't concentrate. But at that kind of scale I think we can do nice things :)

Ta

Monk said:
Poem58 said:
standing_00.png

We may need to get a room :)

Err - thread, I mean thread. I like the prototype, and I have some ideas of my own about using 3D software to more easily create different views of the same character. I have several ideas for the main character now I think about it. If I don't see one there first, I will probably start a new thread as soon as I've had a chance to knock something up. But it's going to take me a few days at minimum simply because I have other stuff to do so I can't concentrate. But at that kind of scale I think we can do nice things :)

Ta

I think I have seen some of your 3d handiwork. I'm honored you feel I can be of use. Pleng has to read this and go "WTF just happened" LOL

I'm curious to see what you have in mind. I guess this is what the Pandora is all about. Random people, coming together and creating something new. Kinda gives you a good feeling, doesn't it?

it's OK for now, take your time. I have numerous medical visits over the next couple of weeks. Another possible surgery on the horizon. So we don't have to rush or anything. Hopefully soon after we will have our Panda's and THEN let the games begin! (sorry bad pun)

Wow this thread has like totally exploded! I'm tired now and then have a busy couple of days ahead of us, but I will try and get the three of us 'together' before the end of the week to thrash something out. Can you guys both PM me your email addresses? I know I should have yours Poem and I probably do somewhere, but it would be a lot easier if you could just PM me it again :D

God Ginrai said:
Orion4874 said:
Was there ever any talk of an MMO for Pandorians? I only ask because I seem to remember something being discussed but it may have been in an Android forum. Search turned up nothing.

Eniko was working on an original MMORPG for the Pandora that I was really excited about, called PanMMO. It was going to be similar in style to the Ultima games, IIRC. Here's the topic: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/44997-makin-mah-mmo/page__hl__MMORPG

She hasn't posted since sometime around March last year, tho'. But maybe she'll start back up now that the Pandora's are shipping out. ;)

-God Ginrai

I got in contact with Eniko. She said that she was going to have to see if she would continue once she got her Pandora. She also mentioned that she was considering switching to a 3D approach that has a 2D retro style, if the hardware is good enough.

Eniko said:
anyway chances are good i'll start plugging away at it again
be a waste not to, with the GUI and server i made

This makes me very excited, because I was really looking forward to this project. ^_^

-God Ginrai

Most here will probably know, hard at work getting Panjoust ready for a first release. Cleaning up and levelmaking atm.

Design has been focused on the pandora from the beginning, but it won't be restricted to it. There will be a Windows and Linux build as well.

Latest video: On YouTube

chaosmage said:
I'm building an engine based on this toy: http://dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/dust/

Which I hope to extend to a full game, not just a toy. I just started learning Python last week, so I've been writing in pygame. Anyone know if there's a path to easily turn a python script into a .pnd?

I've been writing and testing on my n810, it's fun to be back programming games again.
Ok, I just spent like 30 minutes playing with that. Pandora version is a must!

I concur, that is a lot of fun .. though I don't understand all the interactions, I realize there is definitely a state of materials process going on, and that could be fun for hours, and hours, and hours .. be nice if you could change the pixel/block size to bigger for education purposes though ..

Anyway, please port this to Pandora! :)

Poem58 said:
I think I have seen some of your 3d handiwork. Pleng has to read this and go "WTF just happened" LOL.

I think he did just that! Sorry to hear you have poor health - sadly, I know what that's like (hopefully to a lesser degree - I don't want any more surgery, please!). If you've seen the dodgy 3D models I knocked up for torpor so far, or the creaky animations I've done for MarkoeZ, or my attempts at Pandora Wallpaper (mostly featuring half-naked chics IIRC) then you probably have seen some of my images. I'm not much of a renderer to be honest, and especially not down at these resolutions - where every pixel counts - but I'm trying to do my best to kick-start any appealing ideas I notice that I could possibly help :)

Ta,

Oh yeah - check your PMs guys.

chaosmage said:
I'm building an engine based on this toy: http://dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/dust/

Which I hope to extend to a full game, not just a toy. I just started learning Python last week, so I've been writing in pygame. Anyone know if there's a path to easily turn a python script into a .pnd?

I've been writing and testing on my n810, it's fun to be back programming games again.

Very fun.

I was going to wait til I got my pandora before announcing this but seen as you asked...

My flatmate has working on an Frontier: Elite 2 like game for some time,
http://pioneerspacesim.net/

We're going to try porting it to the Pandora when mine arrives,

All programmers and artists welcome to help :)

benced said:
I was going to wait til I got my pandora before announcing this but seen as you asked...

That looks really promising. How far along is it?

SomeGuy99 said:
benced said:

That looks really promising. How far along is it?

Here's the TODO List, I think it's a bit out of date as I know some things on this list have been completed now,

Art needed:
~~~~~~~~~~~

3D models:
At least 25 ships of various sizes and functions
All kinds of random models to stick on cities on planets
Space stations
Little bits of debris for explosions
2D:
Decent icons for the ship control panel
Identikit faces for the space station comms interface
Billboard textures (for smoke, sparks, explosions, etc)
Music:
Dunno what sort. I like strauss...
Sound effects:
The ones I made are awful.
Need sliding and grinding noises for lifts and doors and stuff,
ship engine noises, laser noises, damage noises, ship computer 'woot
woot' noises, etc

Must do for ~1.0:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Equipment:

done

energy bomb
escape capsule
auto-refueller
passenger cabins
cargo scoop conversion
~ autopilot
y full range of lasers inc 'plasma accelerator' type big guns
y cargo bay life support
y Missiles
y atmos shielding
y laser cooling booster
y scanner
y radar mapper
y ecm
y naval ecm
y hyperspace cloud analyser
y shield generator
y fuel scoop
y regular hyperdrives
y military hyperdrives
y energy booster unit
y mining laser
y hull auto-repair system

* External display of mounted equipment (missiles, scoops, etc)
* Message log: viewable log. support for message sender image
* Autopilot to adequate standard
* Internal engine fuel usage (refuel on inventory page)
~ Textual system descriptions
* Shipyard:
* drive servicing
* Stats: gun mounts, missile pilons (should we use this or put them in the hull?), crew
* Cargo scooping
* Military standing, legal status, police
~ Bulletin board............

Less crucial things:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Sfx look utterly shit
* Planet twinkles are the colour of the 1st star in the system, not closest or combination
* Star light should attenuate

From what I've been told it's close to being in a release state,

Currently you can fly around and play at least one mission,

And there is a script nearing completion that will allow creation of custom missions,

I've never got it up and running (yet) myself so I can't tell you more,

Not sure yet what we'll need to do to get it to work on the pandora,

Converting from OpenGL to OpenGL ES seems to be the main task that will need to be done..

If you want to get in touch with Tom to help use the discussion list on his website :)

benced said:
From what I've been told it's close to being in a release state,

I look forward to it. Out of interest, are the flying and combat dynamics based on Frontier? I think maybe I preferred the original Elite style myself (you know, where you didn't have to slow your ship down a million miles away from a planet and such).

torpor said:

I concur, that is a lot of fun .. though I don't understand all the interactions, I realize there is definitely a state of materials process going on, and that could be fun for hours, and hours, and hours .. be nice if you could change the pixel/block size to bigger for education purposes though ..

I got the physics part working, that was easy (I started working on this on MONDAY) and got the element selection widget working, I have 16 elements so far (10 selectable, the rest are derivatives) and got very rudimentary reactions working (water + ice so far).

I currently have it running around 30fps on the n810 (just did a major optimization pass to get there)... but the tiles are 30px instead of the 1px on the webgame - Python is a bit slow for this kind of thing, it seems. Of course the n810 is only 400mhz.

torpor said:
... be nice if you could change the pixel/block size to bigger for education purposes though ..

Like I said, I'm doing larger blocks so I can get a decent framerate. What I really want to do is overlay a platformer game atop it... you vs. the Elements. With level editor and all that, of course. But once I have it to a fully functioning toy state (like the web game), I'll release it. And THEN I'll start adding my platformer.

I have some optimization I have yet to do (only iterating over active tiles, for instance), so I should be able to shrink the tiles a bit more than 30px eventually.

Edit: Doh. Replied to the same post twice. Ah well. At least there is something different in each post.

Back