Playstation Emulation

fusion_power said:
Because the Filesize of the PSX Games will be the biggest problem in PSX Emulation onto the Pandora,
Actually it's not an issue all. CD images are read on the fly, not loaded into RAM (if that's what you were thinking). And SD cards are HUGE these days.

I hope there will be a good compression format.

PSP's eboot format will probably be the best option.

WANT TO MAKE YOUR OWN PSX EBOOTS?

Google this: RS-GUI PopStationMD v3.00

That is the name of the latest program used to compile and compress PSX games into PSP eboots. You can use the highest compression level (9). There are many, many tutorials about compiling PSX games for the PSP online, so I'm sure you can all find some good ones via google, youtube etc.

If ripping your own CD's, use something like cdrwin or alcohol etc. (ripping to bin/cue format is best, not ISO). It's very easy and well documented online.

Or you can find pre-compiled PSX eboots in the usual types of places. Personally I make my own (more reliable IMO plus you can add custom preview images and stuff), but I've seen them pre-made as well. Anyone desperate for links... PM me... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The free-as-in-beer and free-as-in-speech .iso.7z might be nice since lzma is only slow to compress, unpacking it is fast. Or even SquashFS. But then again, I barely know anything about old games, game consoles and emulators.

Alex. said:
This looks like it will be a killer app. :) I never owned a Playstation, but I'd love to buy some decent games to rip and play when the time comes. Looking on the internet though, anything but the most obscure titles cost over $20. I'm not willing to pay that much considering PC titles of that era now have budget prices. I'm not too keen on eBay either, do any 'real' stores still sell Playstation CDs?
If you're 'not that keen' on ebay, where you can pick up games for next to nothing, then you can't really complain about prices.

In the unlikely event that you *do* get shafted, if you're picking up games for $5 rather than $20, you're still quids in. Unless you miraculously managed to get shafted 4 times.

Unless 7zip can be decompressed on the fly depending on the sector requested, it's not really a viable option. Compression currently used decompresses little bits of the image to RAM on the fly. It does not decompress the entire image before hand, since it would usually take too much RAM and/or time to put on ROM.

As for libpng, I don't think that will be an issue.

I have the ability to add CDDA support, and I am planning on getting it to work so games like DoDonPachi work. It was actually implemented at one point, but removed in a later branch of code. :)

Thanks pariah and sm1988 :)

If libpng adds too much bloat you can always use LodePNG, it's made for embedded projects that don't want the bloat of the full libpng.

NB: That link doesn't seem to work today as gamedev seems to be offline, but I expect it will be back before long.

flatmush said:
If libpng adds too much bloat you can always use LodePNG, it's made for embedded projects that don't want the bloat of the full libpng.

NB: That link doesn't seem to work today as gamedev seems to be offline, but I expect it will be back before long.

Wow, awesome! I didn't know there was such a library. I always hate having to depend on libraries, so I'll gladly do away with libpng! Plus it was kind of hard to use, I mean it's pretty convoluted, you have to understand the PNG format in its intricate details to simple load an image.

By the way, google cache link http://64.233.183.104/search?aq=f&num=...amp;btnG=Search

zodttd said:
Unless 7zip can be decompressed on the fly depending on the sector requested, it's not really a viable option. Compression currently used decompresses little bits of the image to RAM on the fly. It does not decompress the entire image before hand, since it would usually take too much RAM and/or time to put on ROM.
SquashFS with 7zip (lzma) compression can decompress on the fly since it behaves like a filesystem, just like CramFS. It gets mounted by fuse somewhere and the fuse driver does decompression on the requested sector. It's basically no different than mount -o loop .iso from the accesing point of view.

Wow great work guys. That so cool it can run FF7 60FPS while not even touching the GPU side.

I want one now!

makes me think that N64 emualtion at full speed is very very likely if console can hit 900MHZ.

Sign me up guys I want one :)

zodttd said:
Tinnus is also pro-Eboot. I think it would make things easier for people to use psx4pandora. They wont have to worry about getting the right ISO type or raw BIN. And PocketISO works really well, but the options can confuse some and they land up getting a bad compressed image.

If you dont rip out anything using PocketISO, and just compress, it should work well.

Time to look into eboot file structures.
FYI, the PSP now supports multi-disc eboots, which is a really nice feature - rip your discs, format them into one LARGE file (FFVIII is 2.04GB, for example), and play the whole game without having to worry about swapping files at some point... It also deals with all those games that don't let you save before switching discs (eg: Metal Gear Solid) a lot more elegantly... I don't know if PocketISO does this or not, but if it doesn't, this would be another great reason to support eboot.php files...

Guys is anti analizing possible with psx4all?

If so what modes could we expect, 2x,4x?

With the lcd screen is there much ghosting in the psx games?

It makes me giddy when i think FF7 2xsai 2xaa native pandora res:)

1) It's "anti aliasing" :p

2) I'm not sure, it depends of OpenGL ES 2.0 supporting it.

3) Modes: read (2)

4) The screen is very good, you can see from all the videos that there's basically no ghosting.

5) There won't be any 2xSaI in the games simply because it would look terrible with a 3D rendered image. Instead, the images will be rendered natively to double the resolution, and the textures will be pre-filtered.

Er, I mean, it's like that already ;)

joshwaan2k said:
Guys is anti analizing possible with psx4all?

If so what modes could we expect, 2x,4x?

With the lcd screen is there much ghosting in the psx games?

It makes me giddy when i think FF7 2xsai 2xaa native pandora res:)
I don't think there'll be much ghosting, looking at the response times

Zod - do you think you could take a video of you playing something (FF7?) a bit zoomed out with more light so we can actually see your hands holding the device and using the controls to actually control the game? I'm interested in seeing how the device actually handles when playing something.

Why can't he send psx4all to the devs with the new cases, and have them make a video of someone playing it? It'd be more interesting than just watching some colors and some pictures go by!

The more time they waste making pretty videos for us, the longer we wait to get one for ourselves. ;) I'm sure all the other devs are using up enough of their spare time already.

Besides, who says any of them are any better with a camera? :D

Tinnus said:
I don't think he has a case.
So I guess that question should be redirected to MWeston, who apparently has a Pandora with some sort of a case and has been playing FF7 on it.

Video of the device in action, with lighting and zoomed out so we can see the whole device + your hands?

EDIT: @gruso - MWeston's already playing FF7, he can easily just have a videocamera tape it and him upload it to youtube. Won't take more than 5 minutes.

Ah, marvellous. Just gotta get the lighting & focus happening.

Still, I'm wary of making any special requests. I'd rather they just steamed along doing what they're doing. :)

Tinnus said:
1) It's "anti aliasing" :p

2) I'm not sure, it depends of OpenGL ES 2.0 supporting it.

3) Modes: read (2)

4) The screen is very good, you can see from all the videos that there's basically no ghosting.

5) There won't be any 2xSaI in the games simply because it would look terrible with a 3D rendered image. Instead, the images will be rendered natively to double the resolution, and the textures will be pre-filtered.

Er, I mean, it's like that already ;)
Thanks for that Tinnus :)

Yeah Anti Aliasing sorry my mistake :p

That's great news about the screen, The psp is a good example of ghosting.

How much of a performance increase on games will the GPU provide do you think?

Also one last thing Zodd I know your busy but could you post a video with a game running at 900MHZ pretty please ? :p

Thanks

No one can use the case as the membrane part for the keyboard and controls is not ready yet.

So basically the controls don't work, you have to manually push each contact with a carbon pad at the moment!

Soon though... soon.

Back