Playstation Emulation

I hope it does support lots of formats and compression methods...

but it looks like the way ps1 games are compressed for use with the psp (eboot) is one of the best ways to do it, it compresses very well and it's very fast to uncompress =`]

As much as I dislike the PSP, I would have to agree. The eboot format would be best, because it is easy to use, it is the easiest format to find on the web and can be converted from isos, and it supports multiple disks and compression :)

PlopperZ said:
As much as I dislike the PSP, I would have to agree. The eboot format would be best, because it is easy to use, it is the easiest format to find on the web and can be converted from isos, and it supports multiple disks and compression :)
+1

Zod said eboot is up for consideration, and that is really good news. I've been ripping a bunch of my old games as regular isos, but I'm holding off on compressing them until we know one way or the other. Everything I've seen says eboot is the format to use. It doesn't hurt that it seems to be the most popular format in the Usual Locations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, I'm researching different video cams in the $300 - $500 USD range.
Or you could get a Nokia N95, It shoots DVD spec video (640x480@30fps), Seems pretty good quality to me, best video phone I've seen anyway.

NB: Yes this suggestion is based purely on me wanting you to do a PSX4N95 port.

This is looking amazing, I must say. I'm looking forward to it a great deal. Any more videos yet, chaps?

As far as formats go, the eboot format sounds fine. However, I hope that it doesn't muscle out the common standards, for those of us who neither have PSPs nor want or need to go dealing with the tools for converting our existing game-rips to its format. ;)

Prometheus said:
This is looking amazing, I must say. I'm looking forward to it a great deal. Any more videos yet, chaps?

Zod posted 5 videos in the last week. Is that not enough?

As far as formats go, the eboot format sounds fine. However, I hope that it doesn't muscle out the common standards, for those of us who neither have PSPs nor want or need to go dealing with the tools for converting our existing game-rips to its format. ;)
You might want to go back and read the rest of the thread :)

Currently psx4pandora supports all raw ripped games, such as CloneCD, .BIN/.CUE types. It also supports PocketISO compressed images (.Z and .ZNX currently). Tinnus and I have thought about adding PSP EBOOT or CSO support.

Tinnus said:
I guess we wouldn't have any reason to REMOVE support for anything :D
Good to know. :D

Chip said:
Prometheus said:

Zod posted 5 videos in the last week. Is that not enough?

Noooooooooo!

:lol:

Nah, only kidding. I'm just really looking forward to seeing more, is all. Of course, I wouldn't want more videos to take time out from actual development time as that would be silly of me.

You might want to go back and read the rest of the thread :)

Currently psx4pandora supports all raw ripped games, such as CloneCD, .BIN/.CUE types. It also supports PocketISO compressed images (.Z and .ZNX currently). Tinnus and I have thought about adding PSP EBOOT or CSO support.

Aye, I know, I know. :p

I was just somewhat concerned that support for other formats might've gotten the chop for space reasons or whatever, for some reason which probably made sense to me at the time but which doesn't seem to now. :lol:

I should perhaps add extra caffeine before posting, next time.

Zodttd has just posted that he just purchased a new camera on his blog today. I'm sure we will see some new better vids in good time.

Just a quick question, having finally remembered what I wanted to ask.

I've noticed that in order to get PSX games working fully (and looking right) on a PC, one usually needs to turn on Framebuffer effects - and almost every time I do so, or at least, did so until I upgraded to a GeForce 6800 instead of pottering along on my previous 5200 - the emu slows to a crawl when they're brought in.

Seeing as such effects are about as needed as transparencies in SNES (i.e. for many games, not too badly, but for a select few, they're essential), I'm wondering whether the same slowdown is likely in Psx4Pandora or whether as a result of archetectural differences between PC and Pandora, they should run correctly?

If you need examples, most RPGs entering battle effects use something alone these lines, although I've a suspicion FF7 was one of the few which didn't...

I'm still not very sure if we'll have to worry about that in the HW GPU. If the method I'm starting to try right now works (and it would be very cool if it did--it seems even Pete didn't do it in his GL2 plugin), we won't have any problems with that ;)

The soft GPU doesn't suffer from any of this for reasonably obvious reasons. That is, the reason of the slowdown is constant RAM->VRAM transfers, but the soft GPU works only on RAM all the time anyway.

Tobriand said:
Just a quick question, having finally remembered what I wanted to ask.

I've noticed that in order to get PSX games working fully (and looking right) on a PC, one usually needs to turn on Framebuffer effects - and almost every time I do so, or at least, did so until I upgraded to a GeForce 6800 instead of pottering along on my previous 5200 - the emu slows to a crawl when they're brought in.
Need more info, like what emulator and plugin you are running, what native resolution and what emulated resolution, what texture filtering and AA settings, basically you can't just say that and leave it, we to quantify the load on the system and why it exists.

I think that many projects aren't built with an eye to straight emulation as much as improving the quality of the visuals (If you want to see what straight emulation looks like find VGS Virtual GameStation, see how your transparencies are handled there.)

On a system like the Pandora I am sure it can be fixed because all of the units are using the same software and OS, and the devs are focused on getting it working.

If I recall correctly, any settings whatsoever on any of Pete's hardware accellerated plugins would cause significant slowdowns, usually to around 1/3 speed, whenever the respective framebuffer effects were utilised.

This on a 2.2GHz Athlon XP and a GeForce FX 5200 (worst graphics card I ever owned), of course, the effects themselves only happened correctly in the slowest mode (Full Vram primitives, or whatever it's called). Texture filtering made barely a jot of difference - maybe 2fps or something whilst the effect was taking place, but I did have more success running in a lower-res window, presumably because the framebuffer was a LOT smaller.

NB that for similar reasons to those that Tinnus has mentioned re: the software GPU not having problems I imagine, the P.E.O.P.S. software renderer worked perfectly - it was just that on that one, everything looked blocky as hell on a 21" monitor!

The PEOPS soft renderer doesn't have the option of double internal resolution? That's a very cool one and could be implemented also in a software renderer to get higuer quality on modern displays.

Tinnus do you have a psp with pops?

Just wondering would the games looked more defined on the pandora screen then the psp due to the resolution change?

I got a slim PSP which is very nice, I have couple games on it and they look ok, but look like there squiched down. Is this do do with the scaling they use on the PSP why it looks weird?

If Psxpandora looks better I'd sell my psp straight away.

Tobriand said:
If I recall correctly, any settings whatsoever on any of Pete's hardware accellerated plugins would cause significant slowdowns, usually to around 1/3 speed, whenever the respective framebuffer effects were utilised.

This on a 2.2GHz Athlon XP and a GeForce FX 5200 (worst graphics card I ever owned), of course, the effects themselves only happened correctly in the slowest mode (Full Vram primitives, or whatever it's called). Texture filtering made barely a jot of difference - maybe 2fps or something whilst the effect was taking place, but I did have more success running in a lower-res window, presumably because the framebuffer was a LOT smaller.
Um, I notice now you mention the 5200, your problem was likely that the 5 series "supported" features it couldn't really do, thus when enabled the drivers would do a piss-poor job (basically a geforce4ti chip could beat it), I think there may have been a way around it by using Rivatuner to force the driver into the feature set of the older series of cards, but I didn't look into it.

It wouldn't surprise me if a bad driver was wasting a ton of memory, or using a software render to emulate these functions. I had a 5200, they really were terrible cards.

joshwaan2k said:
Tinnus do you have a psp with pops?

Just wondering would the games looked more defined on the pandora screen then the psp due to the resolution change?

I got a slim PSP which is very nice, I have couple games on it and they look ok, but look like there squiched down. Is this do do with the scaling they use on the PSP why it looks weird?

If Psxpandora looks better I'd sell my psp straight away.
The screen will be of higher quality, that is for sure. I don't know about the Slim, but I had the old-style and sold it again quick.

Is there no option to play the game unscaled? I don't recall how it was set up on the PSP. I would pillarbox it and play with black bars on the sides, there should be an option for that.

Yeah on the PSP slim it's pretty much same as other version just lighter and more memory, same old crappy screen. It's not bad, but it's not good.

On the POPs it has 4 option unscaled, Double,Zoom,full screen. I think all modes look a bit weird I think this is to do with the psp's res and screen.

I'm really looking forward to the PSX emu on the pandora I reackon it will be one of the showcase emulators :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfJv7BRLyJs

Look at around 1:35 - 1:40 and you will see the options screen.

Yes, the screen on this is the highest res on a portable yet 800x480 is a lot.

The quality will be better as Sony buys their screens at the absolute lowest price, they are pure crap, worst specs ever. Must be B grade and they got them for a steal, even if 5-10% complain, they still make a ton of money.

I look forward to seeing a lot of options for rendering on the Pandora, we could even get supersampling textures and smoothing, considering the kind of power available.

nubie said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfJv7BRLyJs

Look at around 1:35 - 1:40 and you will see the options screen.

Yes, the screen on this is the highest res on a portable yet 800x480 is a lot.

The quality will be better as Sony buys their screens at the absolute lowest price, they are pure crap, worst specs ever. Must be B grade and they got them for a steal, even if 5-10% complain, they still make a ton of money.

I look forward to seeing a lot of options for rendering on the Pandora, we could even get supersampling textures and smoothing, considering the kind of power available.

Yeah that's what I was thinking about screens also lol :p

I mean they could have a least got a little bit better one for the slim version.

Yeah I reackon once Tinnus work his magic with the GPU renderer games will look very snazzy ;)

Edit: they look great even without using the GPU as is, it will look fantastic once some filters are applied. I gotta stop posting can't stop thinking about handheld though :p

Back