Please Help With Greader2x

christo930

I need help from someone who uses GReader2x for reading ebooks. I am having trouble trying to view ebooks without killing my eyes. If someone has found a really good combination of colors and could help me out, and send me their configuration file and background file if any? The software I'm talking about is:

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,2080

My ipaq is the same resolution but reversed (240x320) and is very easy on the eyes, so I am assuming it's the color combination or the backlit screen. The iPaq is a front lit reflective screen and that might be why it seems easier on the eyes. It might be a tad bigger as well. I'd really like to use just my GP2X and not have to carry the ipaq, but my eyes can't take more than a readme file with the gp2x as is.

Chris

christo930 said:
I need help from someone who uses GReader2x for reading ebooks. I am having trouble trying to view ebooks without killing my eyes. If someone has found a really good combination of colors and could help me out, and send me their configuration file and background file if any? The software I'm talking about is:

My ipaq is the same resolution but reversed (240x320) and is very easy on the eyes, so I am assuming it's the color combination or the backlit screen. The iPaq is a front lit reflective screen and that might be why it seems easier on the eyes. It might be a tad bigger as well. I'd really like to use just my GP2X and not have to carry the ipaq, but my eyes can't take more than a readme file with the gp2x as is.

Chris

How about white on black?

Last edited by a moderator:
christo930 said:

Chris

I use the Liquido style theme by Fusion_Power, you can view a screenshot + download it here.

I use color "D9D6A0" for MainBG and color "000000" (black) for MainFG. This gives black text on a tan background which is the most pleasing combo I've ever tried. I also use this combo for linux xterms (disabling ls colors also).

I'd also like to mention here that I am intending to program my own ebook reader for the GP2X, as I feel every last ebook reader written for it has missed the mark. I can't believe how much trouble it still is to read a book on my GP2X! I recently put a large zipped gutenberg text on it, Middlemarch, and greader2x completely froze trying to open it, just sat there for half an hour saying loading. Then, I go to restart the program and it tries to load the same file and freezes again... ARGGGHH. Then, I download some H.P. Lovecraft text files from somewhere else on the net, thinking no problem Greader2X knows how to display any text. Nope, it displays horribly broken lines of text just like the unbelievebly poorly programmed built-in ebook reader. Unbelievable.. end rant.

Senor Quack said:
I use color "D9D6A0" for MainBG and color "000000" (black) for MainFG. This gives black text on a tan background which is the most pleasing combo I've ever tried. I also use this combo for linux xterms (disabling ls colors also).

I'd also like to mention here that I am intending to program my own ebook reader for the GP2X, as I feel every last ebook reader written for it has missed the mark. I can't believe how much trouble it still is to read a book on my GP2X! I recently put a large zipped gutenberg text on it, Middlemarch, and greader2x completely froze trying to open it, just sat there for half an hour saying loading. Then, I go to restart the program and it tries to load the same file and freezes again... ARGGGHH. Then, I download some H.P. Lovecraft text files from somewhere else on the net, thinking no problem Greader2X knows how to display any text. Nope, it displays horribly broken lines of text just like the unbelievebly poorly programmed built-in ebook reader. Unbelievable.. end rant.
After playing with it some more, I found a semi pleasing combination. But, the poor viewing angle of the gp2x is not ideal for long book reading sessions. Even a $10 (on ebay) palm 3 provides a better reading experince at a much lower resolution, because the screen was meant to be used for reading, unlike a game system which is meant to be played. I can read on my iPaq for hours with no problems. THe gp32 is much better as well, with it's reflective screen, as long as there is enough light. A front lit gp32 might also be a good way for me to go, they can probably be had pretty cheap on ebay (mine is not frontlit), then at least I can cary one system for everything. The reflective screens seem to be like a silver or light grey color when no background color is called for and a dark text on no background is ideal for reading, in my experience.

Chris

I find by toggling the MainFontBold option in config to on and changing the font size to a larger size make it lot easier on the eyes.

I use font size 12 on the main screen and menu both with bold turn on and MainBG set to 4B4B4B a light grey makes things a lot more readable

The best reader for the GP2X is, I feel, GP2Xpdf - http://x11.gp2x.de/
Obviously it requires PDF files, but if you use a site like http://manybooks.net/ , you can format and download.
However the best reading experience of all, from the brightest sunlight to the darkest room, is without doubt "!reader" on a GP32 FLU.

Back