[Poll] Case Colour Clarification

Your First Choice in Colour

• Total voters

If that white is actually a light gray, then that actually looks pretty good. Haven't voted yet. I think it will help if more people post a visual.
Anyway, yeah guys, the whole point is to narrow down results.

Maybe you should added camouflage to the poll.
 Ok, I've added one last option - 'Other':

So now everyone can vote for whatever they like.

Really think camo has a chance?
I think "other" defeats the purpose and I think camo should be a detail. "I pick camo" rather than two tone for the next option.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that white is actually a light gray, then that actually looks pretty good. Haven't voted yet. I think it will help if more people post a visual.

Anyway, yeah guys, the whole point is to narrow down results.

Maybe you should added camouflage to the poll.

Ok, I've added one last option - 'Other':

So now everyone can vote for whatever they like.

Really think camo has a chance?
I think "other" defeats the purpose and I think camo should be a detail. "I pick camo" rather than two tone for the next option.
Done!    :)

Camo as a detail...

and 'Other' as a colour option.

The Poll structure should now be pretty finalized eh?

Yeah, tho I don't understand why you are putting other. We know "Other" from the first poll. This is to narrow the results.

My first choice is just plain black. Second choice is black and dark gray camo. Like it better than just gray, tbh.

My third is black with red highlights. Kind of the opposite of this.Link

Not sure how it would look in a matte finish. This is fine too. Link

If camo doesn't work out later on, changing it to black and dark gray. Black everything except the top of the lid.

Gave up on metallic unless swayed otherwise.

Wish ED step in to say what's actually possible.

World Champion of polls it seems here, right? :rolleyes:

Well I've choosen anything around black, flat black, maybe with a little bit metallic in it but not glossy. It would be good it the Pyra black is different from the Pandora black... somehow. ^^

Yeah, tho I don't understand why you are putting other. We know "Other" from the first poll. This is to narrow the results.
I don't really see this option making much of a difference, however... someone might want Black with transparent highlights, or some such... so now they have the option to say so.

I think I would only want either completely clear or a dark translucent.  The problem I see with these, and maybe with solid colors since I don't remember seeing it, is the logo LED's light illuminating the plastic around the logo where that insert piece is.  With transparent and translucent the entire insert would light up and not just the cut out.  In the past I may have stated I wanted other colors, but I think they will look bad with the logo lit up.

1st: Dark Red with silver trims or detail.

2nd:Orange.

3rd: Yellow.

4th: Black with silver trims/details.

Oh, lemme list my favorite combinations as of when I am typing this.

safest bet, and most likely to not bother many: Black matte.

Another safe one: Matte dark grey or "off-black", whatever that means. 

best "Pyra themed" options: dark red with black details or black with dark red details/trim.  Red could be slightly metallic or shimmery, black needs to be flat.

Most like ST:TNG equipment: Light or medium grey with black lines/trim and maybe some other interesting details.  I think the logo would prevent it from having the right overall look.

Fun colors that I would need to see before I would need to see before I could say I would buy it: Light grey or beige with some surface texture. Grey and purple (think Sun Microsystems...or maybe US SNES).

Honorable mention clear/translucent stuff that may not work due to logo LEDs: Plain old clear, translucent black, Nintendo's Extreme Green.  Red might also look good here (actually, many colors would, including dark purple, orange, many shades of blue, etc.).

Edit: Worst option: any sort of "camo".  Even a lot of military equipment is just solid subdued colors, or black.

As voted, I'd like most an off-white with off-black accents. Like an old computer/console, yet not as cheesy. Would look awesome with an old-school dark red sticker on it  ;)

Second choice is dark red, I'd rather it be single color, else a good deep black.

Yet my third vote is a little special. Dark red with beige. Kinda like blood red with cappuccino cream. Maybe we could instead do beige with dark red.

I'd really like to see a translucent material. So you can see all the guts, it's pretty neat.

Transparent-3DS-XL-2.jpg

I'd really like to see a translucent material. So you can see all the guts, it's pretty neat.

But the logo will look like shit.  ED wanted to add that little bit to the looks and it won't look like the logo with a clear/translucent case.  If that could be fixed it would be neat indeed.

Glad I'm not the only one that chose camo. If camo somehow wins, I assume there will be a third color that matches the other 2.

Basic extrapolation at 48 votes:

**(Feel free to alter your vote to strengthen a preferred option)

Black:             20 + 11 + 12 = 43

Off Black:       1 + 5 + 6 = 12

Light Grey:      0 + 2 + 2 = 4

Dark Grey:     5 + 4 + 4 = 13

White:             2 + 0 + 4 = 6

Off White:       2 + 1 + 1 = 4

Red:               1 + 1 + 1 = 3

Dark Red:      5 + 13 + 7 = 25

Blue:               0 + 2 + 2 = 4

Dark Blue:     7 + 5 + 1 = 13

Beige:             3 + 1 + 1 = 5

Light Purple:   0 + 0 + 0 = 0

Dark Purple:   1 + 1 + 4 = 6

Other:              1 + 2 + 3 = 6

Therefor:

1st: Black

2nd: Dark Red

3rd: Dark Grey or Dark Blue

4th: Off Black

Considering that there will in all likelihood be only 1 case colour (at least to start with), if ED is going by popular vote.... we will have:

A Matte Black Pyra

or maybe a

Matte Dark Red Pyra

P.s. This is only 1 very simple way of extracting information from the poll.

Glad I'm not the only one that chose camo. If camo somehow wins, I assume there will be a third color that matches the other 2.

I would assume that the 3rd colour would be exactly in the middle of a gradient taken with the base colour and two-tone colour as two opposite ends of the tonal spectrum.

I think those calculations need to be weighted to take into consideration  whether a selection was the 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice.

That would give us (at 49 votes):

Black: 3 * 21 + 2 * 11 + 12 = 97

Off Black: 3 * 1 + 2 * 5 + 7 = 20

Light Grey: 3 * 0 + 2 * 2 + 2 = 6

Dark Grey: 3 * 5 + 2 * 5 + 4 = 29

White: 3 * 2 + 2 * 0 + 4 = 10

Off White: 3 * 2 + 2 * 1 + 1 = 9

Red: 3 * 1 + 2 * 1 + 1 = 6

Dark Red: 3 * 5 + 2 * 13 + 7 = 48

Blue: 3 * 0 + 2 * 2 + 2 = 6

Dark Blue: 3 * 7 + 2 * 5 + 1 = 32

Beige: 3 * 3 + 2 * 1 + 1 = 12

Light Purple: 3 * 0 + 2 * 0 + 0 = 0

Dark Purple: 3 * 1 + 2 * 1 + 4 = 9

Other: 3 * 1 + 2 * 2 + 3 = 10

It may not change a lot at this stage but I think it is important distinction to make if the poll results are to be considered useful.

-Neelix

FaeMinx: You weighted the options the same? Wouldn't it make more sense to give people's first choices more weight? Like 3p for first choice, 2p for second, 1p for third?

1. Black, 94p
  2. Dark red, 48p
  3. Dark blue, 32p
  4. Dark grey, 27p
  5. Off black, 19p
  6. Beige, 12p
...and so on. Not that it changes much in this case, but it would in some cases. Or were the choices meant to be equally desirable?

EDIT: Ha! Ninja'd by Neelix :)

EDIT2: The point differences are because I used the votes in FaeMinx's post :p

I just thought of something.  We're getting all these votes for Two-tone (base+highlights) options and things like camo options,   but I was under the impression that the plan was to mould the cases out of coloured plastic, and leave them unpainted.   (If I recall correctly it was the need to paint the parts which were designed to be unpainted that lead to the screen bezel bowing problem that was common on the Pandora)   This being the case it occurs to me that such options may not actually be practical for mass production.  

I suspect if two-tone cases are going to be an option in mass production it will be by mix and matching the individually coloured case plastics.  

Using my own third choice as an example this might mean for example dark purple for the bottom of the base and the back of screen,  mixed with blue for the top of the base (keyboard surround) and the screen bezel.   (and possibly for the the shoulder buttons as well)   While I think this kind of colour mixing can work well,  it may mean that a secondary colour that would work well as a highlight,  would work less well for mixed single colour case plastics.

Thoughts?

-Neelix

We've had this discussion several times before. Is there any reason to believe the outcome will be different?

Back