[Poll] Case Colour Clarification

Your First Choice in Colour

• Total voters

I think the problem here is that most people want something else than boring black, but as they are fine with it, they still vote for it, thus making a huge load of votes.

We know that black is accepted by most. Why not try something else ?

Try Something. It is the new Black.  :D

I just thought of something.  We're getting all these votes for Two-tone (base+highlights) options and things like camo options,   but I was under the impression that the plan was to mould the cases out of coloured plastic, and leave them unpainted.   (If I recall correctly it was the need to paint the parts which were designed to be unpainted that lead to the screen bezel bowing problem that was common on the Pandora)   This being the case it occurs to me that such options may not actually be practical for mass production.  

I suspect if two-tone cases are going to be an option in mass production it will be by mix and matching the individually coloured case plastics.  

Using my own third choice as an example this might mean for example dark purple for the bottom of the base and the back of screen,  mixed with blue for the top of the base (keyboard surround) and the screen bezel.   (and possibly for the the shoulder buttons as well)   While I think this kind of colour mixing can work well,  it may mean that a secondary colour that would work well as a highlight,  would work less well for mixed single colour case plastics.

Thoughts?

-Neelix
I really don't want them painted this time.  Just a personal preference..  If the paint might cause issues when the pieces are assembled it should be skipped.  There are other options that could work but I am pretty sure they would add cost (don't shoot me for saying this: one would be some form of printing, which would allow for doing camo, however if that was going to happen I think some might prefer to add labels around the keyboard to supplement key labels in some way).

We've had this discussion several times before. Is there any reason to believe the outcome will be different?
A lot of new people seem to have joined recently.  A different outcome is unlikely, but worth a shot.  I think the real idea for this was to find out exactly what people really want from the top choices, but I don't know how options like two-tone and camo fit into that.  I picked multiple options for each of those questions that allowed it, however matte is what I prefer most for each (Black, dark red, dark grey).

Personally, the number of polls and poll options and poll discussions lately is making me consider the coma option.

Probably nail it down to 4 colors and do at least one more poll where design comes more into play. Design now is to gauge interest.

Black Dark Red Dark Blue Dark Gray If these are the highest after a while then we could have one more poll and better design options to finish this.

Rather we have one Pyra or two Pyras at the start, that poll should be enough to see what most people want.

Probably pick red trim and black for the next poll. :p

Also, I was right when I said not many people want white, at least so far.

There should be a camo option.
There is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, the number of polls and poll options and poll discussions lately is making me consider the coma option.
You think so? Hmmm...

Let's do a poll about it!

The bad thing about transparent options is the pyra's board looks kind of booring.

The keyboard has almost no elements soldered on this side and the intresting side on the back is blocked by a big battery.

And the displayboard has just LEDs on the backside.

Well, he doesn't know what's possible. We are basically on our own.

So,somehow we got to find out what "crazy" design and "safe" design we want in general. Don't think this is the poll for it tho.

What I mean by crazy is camo and two tone. I don't think different color top or bottom, different trim color or different color inside and out, fits that.

Camo is a bit strange, if you want to camouflage it, then maybe the colour of your hands, other than that it can go in your pocket? If its for the look, maybe pixelated, purely for aesthetics could be an option.

Might be that the black and dark gray are enjoying popularity for contrast against the screen.

Atleast the darker options seem to be more popular. Similarly matte is popular.

What I mean by crazy is camo and two tone. I don't think different color top or bottom, different trim color or different color inside and out, fits that.

I gave a few examples of two-tone and trim options.  I think matte black might be the best bet for a solid color.  For camo (is this seriously being considered?) black, red, dark red, and maybe dark grey, but what pattern (I think digital camo is pretty ugly, but there are uglier ones that also work well...maybe the pattern should be based on something German). For different colors inside and out, maybe dark red inside and black outside.  If we get something done in this way I would really love having beige or something reminiscent of early home/personal computers inside.

Well, he doesn't know what's possible. We are basically on our own.

Did he say that in the channel or something?

be more specific.

If its for the look, maybe pixelated, purely for aesthetics could be an option.
You suck. :p

Edit:

Might be that the black and dark gray are enjoying popularity for contrast against the screen.
Most of my desktop stuff is black. Just easier on the peepers.  Many games I play also feature a lot of black and dark colors.  If people do prefer contrast it would be good to know.

My main reasons for picking black first is I just think it is a suitable color for things like the Pyra, it doesn't draw attention or look childish, and I think it will work best with the way the logo will be illuminated.

Hehe, i was thinking red was the colour of choice for showing off the pyra and aligning with the name. However _nothing_ draws more attention than  a pixelfault. ;)

I dont know if thats good or not, but it will surely be noticed in the right demographic.

I think the problem here is that most people want something else than boring black, but as they are fine with it, they still vote for it, thus making a huge load of votes. We know that black is accepted by most. Why not try something else ?
It's the spaghetti issue - when you ask people for what they want for lunch, pasta will always come back as being the lowest denominator.  

Easier to just quote the pm.

Nothing will be decided before the moulds are in production, as I don't know yet which parts will be together in one mould yet, and I have no idea what colors and effects we can choose from.

Choice of colour:

Black

Specify:

Metal

large_rsz_norwegian-black-metal-dark-throne-tags-death-norway-direct-link-64939.jpg

Nothing will be decided before the moulds are in production, as I don't know yet which parts will be together in one mould yet, and I have no idea what colors and effects we can choose from.
That tells us more than just that nothing is decided regarding the colour though.   It also tells us that the moulds are going to affect colour choice.   That suggests that the plan is to leave the plastic unpainted,  which seriously limits the types of effects that are actually practical.

-Neelix

Thanks for that.

I think the problem here is that most people want something else than boring black, but as they are fine with it, they still vote for it, thus making a huge load of votes.

We know that black is accepted by most. Why not try something else ?

Try Something. It is the new Black.  :D
Black may be a safe choice, but it is also the color I typically choose.  Trust me, you don't want me to pick colors for this if we only get one option, as it would sell in the tens of units if we are lucky, and it would still be mostly black. :)

Back