[Poll] Case Colour Clarification

Your First Choice in Colour

• Total voters

Actually, this black would be nice.

It's so black that you don't have the "black on black" effect. And the Pyra logo would look awesome.

We need the next generation to be Vantablack with two predator eyes glowing in red or yellow.

We could call it the "Jaguar". Oh, wait.  :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how all three polls have more people voting for 'I chose single colour' than people who actually did choose single colour in the question beforehand :D
I just looked at the results and this is not true.  You can, for some reason, pick as many as you want for the second question in each set.  let's look, using the highest single color option for each set:

Set 1: 57 for matte; 41 for "I Chose Single Color"

Set 2: 50 for matte; 47 for "I Chose Single Color"

Set 1: 49 for matte; 40 for "I Chose Single Color"

Less voted for "I Chose Single Color" than matte in each set.  The closest is 50 to 47, but still less. 
Matte can be multi-colour.  The only important choice in that section is 'single colour' (paired with 'two tone', although like others I voted for all of them as I don't really care as long as it looks nice).  Apparently some people didn't vote for 'single colour' therefore, but still voted for 'I chose single colour'.

Perhaps those voters should be added to the 'single colour' score; perhaps they skipped the question thinking it was only about surface texture, looking at the first two options.  But you'd have to go over everyone's votes, as some will have legitimately voted for 'single colour' and 'I chose single colour', so if you added those they'd get counted twice.

I like how all three polls have more people voting for 'I chose single colour' than people who actually did choose single colour in the question beforehand  :D
I just looked at the results and this is not true.  You can, for some reason, pick as many as you want for the second question in each set.  let's look, using the highest single color option for each set:

Set 1: 57 for matte; 41 for "I Chose Single Color"
Set 2: 50 for matte; 47 for "I Chose Single Color"
Set 1: 49 for matte; 40 for "I Chose Single Color"

Less voted for "I Chose Single Color" than matte in each set.  The closest is 50 to 47, but still less.
Matte can be multi-colour.  The only important choice in that section is 'single colour' (paired with 'two tone', although like others I voted for all of them as I don't really care as long as it looks nice).  Apparently some people didn't vote for 'single colour' therefore, but still voted for 'I chose single colour'.

Perhaps those voters should be added to the 'single colour' score; perhaps they skipped the question thinking it was only about surface texture, looking at the first two options.  But you'd have to go over everyone's votes, as some will have legitimately voted for 'single colour' and 'I chose single colour', so if you added those they'd get counted twice.
Good catch.  I totally missed that.  In addition to misunderstanding the results, I guess I voted wrong.  For me, I picked matte and metalic with the assumption that they would be all one color.  I still don't want glossy or camo, but I suppose it might be ok to have multiple colors for the other options.

Now, on to the colors.  

Black

Vantablack is still really nice, and something I would like if it were feasible (no added costs, no new issues from heat).  Otherwise, just black.

Dark Red

Grench's 330000 looks good (on this screen, at least).  I am also fine with something a little lighter, like the background used in the Pyra theme here.  Anything else darker works as well, all the way to 010000.

Dark Grey

I am fine with any grey that is obviously not a light grey.  Medium greys work for me.  777777 is pretty good, and I like things that are darker.  I prefer neutral.  Those that are cool, such as with a tiny bit of extra blue (77777f) are good, as is a little extra green.  I don't really like warmer greys, but some might be ok.

We are going to need a poll to choose the best 'dark red'. ;)
We will never all agree.  Until we find out if ED is willing to bother with 2 case colors I think we should stick with the most popular choice.  How about a poll for the best black?  The only option is 000000, because anything else would be off-black, right?

a1983337-159-do-want-dowantdowantdowant.jpg

How about we make this simple...

The colored plastic beads that are used in the mold process are only available in certain colors - likely black, gray, white, red, blue, green.

How about skipping the paint and just getting whatever the black beads produce?  It'll be inconsistent, have whitish gray heat lines where the mold was thicker or thinner and vary from charcoal gray to black.  BUT - there is no worrying about the thickness of the paint in assembly.

But if it's going to be painted over a black plastic, keep it very dark so scratches and wear/rub marks don't show as badly.

Let's get specific around defining black, dark red, etc.

When I say I want 'Flat Dark Red' I mean a red so dark it is more a shade of black than it is 'red'.  It is slightly warmer and will appear to have more 'depth' than 'Flat Black'.

My version of 'Flat Dark Red'

http://www.colorhexa.com/330000

My version of 'Flat Dark Purple'

http://www.colorhexa.com/301030

For reference, this is, 'Flat Black'.

http://www.colorhexa.com/000000
Like both of these dark reds... at least on screen.

How about skipping the paint and just getting whatever the black beads produce?  It'll be inconsistent, have whitish gray heat lines where the mold was thicker or thinner and vary from charcoal gray to black.  BUT - there is no worrying about the thickness of the paint in assembly.
I agree we need (NEED) to skip the paint.  That probably means no vantablack, yet it is still great and keeps getting brought up in these discussions.

Why would the color of a solid black case need to be incosistent?  Many black plastic (some must be injection molded, right? is that how the Pyra case will be made?) things look fine, and don't have the problems you mentioned.  Is the cost too great, or the process too complicated, to get something with a consistent color that looks decent?

I agree we need (NEED) to skip the paint.  That probably means no vantablack, yet it is still great and keeps getting brought up in these discussions.

Why would the color of a solid black case need to be incosistent?  Many black plastic (some must be injection molded, right? is that how the Pyra case will be made?) things look fine, and don't have the problems you mentioned.  Is the cost too great, or the process too complicated, to get something with a consistent color that looks decent?
There is a solution for all that:

Just ship the device unpainted but with vignettes to paint it yourself, with airbrush for example.

I guess there would be some cool designs uploaded here shortly afterwards and someone could even earn a bit of money by offering to make some art out of other peoples devices. Win/Win

Black is just oh, sooo nineties...

Maybe we could mix up black and red beads in a dark red case ?

That would also allow for an interesting and unique pattern.

There is a solution for all that:

Just ship the device unpainted but with vignettes to paint it yourself, with airbrush for example.

I guess there would be some cool designs uploaded here shortly afterwards and someone could even earn a bit of money by offering to make some art out of other peoples devices. Win/Win
Why does it need to be painted at all?  There is no need for a solution if the case is of good quality.

Is that so bad? I think black is more of a 00s color, however I guess it depends on the product (wasn't it during the 90s when computers started largely shifting from beige cases to grey?). I remember a lot of "fun colors" were released for consoles and computers starting back in the 90s (and this is still happening with consumer electronics, so...).

I really don't like things that look like this, but it could be worse, I guess.

Is that so bad? I think black is more of a 00s color, however I guess it depends on the product (wasn't it during the 90s when computers started largely shifting from beige cases to grey?). I remember a lot of "fun colors" were released for consoles and computers starting back in the 90s (and this is still happening with consumer electronics, so...).

Me neither. But we won't know until we find out. Maybe it will come up mixed together.

I'm more thinking about how your television and stereo were all black in the 90s, and on the turn on the century, it all became grey or silver.

That's why black in hardware reminds me of the 90s.

Now we're back to black, but a glossy one. Don't really like it either.

The Pyra is so special, I think it needs to stay outside of classic colors. That's why I'm more into red or blue.

My personal favourite would be a bright beige, like said computers from the mid-nineties. But the retro feel isn't good for everyone.

The Pyra evokes something burning (as long as it's not a burning PCB... :lol: ), so hot colors would suit best.

Me neither. But we won't know until we find out. Maybe it will come up mixed together.

I'm more thinking about how your television and stereo were all black in the 90s, and on the turn on the century, it all became grey or silver.

That's why black in hardware reminds me of the 90s.

Now we're back to black, but a glossy one. Don't really like it either.

The Pyra is so special, I think it needs to stay outside of classic colors. That's why I'm more into red or blue.

My personal favourite would be a bright beige, like said computers from the mid-nineties. But the retro feel isn't good for everyone.

The Pyra evokes something burning (as long as it's not a burning PCB... :lol: ), so hot colors would suit best.
I can post some of what I imagine is the worst possible outcome of not thorougly mixing the red and black to get a pattern.  Some people like it, and the examples I am thinking of are actually painted but using some process I don't fully know to dip the items in a tub with the paint at the surface of the water.  I guess as long as the result isn't an ugly brown.  Trying to watch what I say...

All of my "new" TVs and monitors (and consoles, and home theatre stuff) are black, but yeah, so is my CRT TV from the 90s that I play my old consoles on.  It is starting to have a lot of problems and the picture is no longer centered, so I want to check the local thrift stores for something a bit smaller that has knobs, like my first one.  My 80s monochrome monitor looks like it is beige or off-white, but that is paint, which I find a bit odd.  

Back on topic.  It did seem like, especially in the early 00s, everything started to turn silver.  I was trying to figure out what my first mp3 player was and noticed that a lot of them were silver, as were many things back then.  I like silver, but only if it is metal, not paint.  Between the flat or rough textured "old black" and the currently popular glossy "new black" I prefer the old stuff.  New stuff is a fingerprint magnet, and if something gets scuffed or scratched it looks bad.

Do you mind linking me to something in what you describe as "bright beige"?  The exact computer that you think of when you describe it would be perfect, as it gives me exactly what it is you like the look of.  I would love the Pyra to be beige, but I don't want to inflict my eccentric tastes on others.  I wonder how many of us would actually be ok or happy with beige. :D

I think warm colors work best if they aren't too subdued, like when I explained the dark greys I like.  I might like a bright red, or even bright yellow, but I would rather avoid those if I am going to use it somewhere where I want to be perceived as taking things seriously, like work and such.  I guess the valid response to that is "then don't take a gaming device with you".  To me the Pyra is a pocket sized computer first and a gaming handheld second.

I like silver, but only if it is metal, not paint.  Between the flat or rough textured "old black" and the currently popular glossy "new black" I prefer the old stuff.  New stuff is a fingerprint magnet, and if something gets scuffed or scratched it looks bad.
Exactly my own opinion.

I know bright colors aren't professional looking. But it's not Ferrari red either. And I think that you're already standing out of the crowd with the Pyra. I believe that if they do or do not trust you based on the color of a personnal device, none of you should trust each other. But this will stay a fair point anyway.

By bright beige, I meant anything but the old ABS yellowing. Particularly these shades :

IMG_1172.jpg

The off-white parts, namely metal case and floppy drive.

800px-Commodore-128.png

impression-compact.jpg

Possibly the beige of my childhood.

It's not about the hue, but about the brightness. A dirty yellow won't cut it. But a modern take on the milky beige can.

Off-Topic : I'm pissed. I just can't seem to find the Tulip Computers I owned as a kid. Only remember it was a desktop case with a Pentium 90MHz. Damn.

Edit : A-Ha ! It looks quite close to a Vision Line XD. Pursuing the search !

2nd Edit : Getting really close. An Impression Line Compact ? But then, I only find 486 yet it was a Socket 7 P5. Added for reference purposes.

Yeah, I could handle that beige.  I expanded the pictures before reading and saw that keyboard and had a few choice words for you.  The real ones you like have the right beige look. (I may leave my old stuff as it is instead of using retr0bright, but I don't actually like the yellowed look.)

It's not white, it's very light beige.  :p

Nah seriously, what's making people afraid of white is visible dirt. But a beige shade is much less prone to it.

I've got an old white NDS Lite, and it's packed with dirt. Still, it's not that visible. It's normal for a device under use to collect dust, sweat and stuff.

Maybe we should pay more attention to it and clean on a regular basis instead of masking it with black cases...

Back