Preorders Have Started. (Previously named starts in two hours)

Was the case color decided upon yet?
If so ED hasn't announced it. I am pretty sure more info on this is given in the FAQ.
[doublepost=1462192666,1462192525][/doublepost]Q: What color will the Pyra have?
A: The color has not yet been decided. We will get various test colors with the delivery of the final case. I'll post pictures of it and you help me decide! We might even make multiple colors.
You will be able to choose your color with the final payment.

Hi, I'm sorry that I don't post much on the boards, but I have loved using my 1st batch Pandora and later 1Ghz version, so it was natural for me to also order the Pyra. I decided on 4GB Standard, but am happy to change that to whatever is most popular for the masses. I really hope Ed get's enough orders to justify a production run.

The only small issue I am worried about is actually the colour. I really don't like the silver of my 1ghz unit, or the bright blue of my XD. If there is any possibility my small voice is heard, a standard "Mat black" like the original Pandora would be great, or white as a second option.

Good luck to all in the project, you continue to amaze me. :)

Intresting that a lot of device that got sold should be the mobile/4gb ones. Unfortunatly while I did the pre-pre order thing last year I could only afford a standard/2gb pyra (I understand not many have been sold of this type) :-( !

Am hoping to order a second pyra possibly though sometime in the future after saving for one ....

ljones

Been following this project since the beginning. I've proudly owned all of the GamePark systems since the GP32x days. I owned the first original preordered Pandora (Not the Rebirth or Classic), and despite any of the technical issues and quirks of the systems build, and "2 Month" hilarious situations... I had complete faith in those passionate enough to bring it to us at the time. With that said, I proudly preordered the Pyra 4GB because I believe in what EvilDragon and his crew are creating. I believe in the power of creation and innovation and the power of this community.

If there is any possibility my small voice is heard, a standard "Mat black" like the original Pandora would be great, or white as a second option.
Due to the surface texture, the cases should be sorta matte. The most popular choice seems to be black. Dark red is also pretty popular. Other choices that many people want include a dark grey, and clear like the prototype case. Be sure to make your small voice heard by coming back and sharing your preference when ED gets the final case design in various colors.

I think dragonbox.de should be more upfront about the ultimate cost--as in put the ultimate cost right next to the pre-order cost. I agree that with something like this one ought to read the fine print, but regardless the actual effect is that people are assuming the intent is malicious or misleading and spreading FUD online. People read that FUD and lose interest before actually evaluating the Pyra. Ultimately I think you're losing some potential pre-orders.

As over half the preorders are for the eu 4G I don't see that one not being made. There are 397 ATM and 214 are for EU 4g.

Only 10 of the 397 are for 2GB versions.

OH! I get the confusion.
The PLS8-X is the PLS8-US with an additional band for supporting Verizon. You wouldn't be forced to use Verizon, you'd be as free to use any carrier you'd want as supported by the chip with the addition that you could use Verizon if you wanted.

So I found a document that shows both modules - and a third - side by side and implies that they are both compatible with AT&T.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjciOLX1bvMAhVpn4MKHbrtAX8QFggcMAA&url=http://www.gemalto.com/brochures-site/download-site/Documents/M2M_PLS8_datasheet.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEU3mvB8Rya3g1RFE5-7FhHyqScpQ

Apparently there exists: PLS8-US, PLS8-US R3, PLS8-X

The PLS8-X, if I understand it right, that 4G module may be able to function on AT&T, T-mobile and Verizon. That would be the top 3 carriers in the US composing about 83% of the US mobile market by providers.

What is the drawback or reason not to use the PLS8-X? Or put another way, what is the market niche that the PLS8-US fills that requires it to exist and be manufactured alongside the PLS8-X?

EDIT:
I just noticed a difference in cell AA of that spreadsheet - clear to the right - the PLS8-X is Data only. I.e. it may have no voice capability. That may be something to double check.

This:
http://www.gemalto.com/brochures-site/download-site/Documents/M2M_PLS8_datasheet.pdf

States:
Maximum MNO Flexibility PLS8-X supports (AT&T, T-mobile and Verizon) in only one variant. Depending on activated SIM/MIM correct network configurations will be automatically detected. 2G/3G is also supported for maximum roaming capability

Maybe not having 'voice' mentioned in column AA of that spreadsheet was a mistake?

@EvilDragon - would it make more sense to use the PLS8-X?

Last edited:
@bennr01

I received my pre-order voucher today. Looks like ED fixed the glitch that prevented the first few orders from getting one. I just hope that my place in the queue is unaffected!

400Part1long.jpg

Hey @EvilDragon , if you don't get enough orders for an EU OR an US mobile version, will you combine them and just do a 3G world version?
Extrapolating the current ratios to 1,000 preorders gives ~500 EU 4G and ~150 US ones. At 1,500 preorders it will be ~750 EU vs. ~250 US modules. Currently it looks like there have to be around 3,000 preorders to reach the MOQ for the US 4G module.

Back