Preparing for Germany (2011-08-26)

There isn't going to be a 1GHz chip going into Pandora for a long time if ever. We ordered THOUSANDS of 3530's a long time ago thinking that CC would actually produce boards on a schedule and those chips are going to run into batch 3. We can't just tell the distributor, "oh sorry, here take these back" because the parts are in our possession and the deal is done. If you don't want to take my or OP's word for it, you can ask Notaz and maybe other software devs. I discussed this with Notaz ages ago. We both agreed that we would love to go to the DM3730 but we pre-ordered a ton of 3530 stock that prevents any further discussion of such thing unfortunately. ED's wishful thinking has the unfortunate side effect of sounding official and he doesn't deal with parts ordering. Craig and I do (did) but now he knows the situation. Hopefully people keep reading this topic and realize that other than a possibly better paint job, their Pandora will be the same as everyone else. It has to be. We have no choice. We can't just toss $100k+ worth of chips in the garbage.

Well it really depends on how much people are willing to pay. If someone wants to pay extra for a faster chip, and they're willing to pay enough extra to cover the cost of throwing out the old one, then it's feasible. Come up with a price and see how many are willing to pay it.

Interesting concept. If you guys are re-tooling everything in Germany now may be a good chance to improve the product. The existing processor is good but why setup shop all over again just to be good when it could potentially be better? $100+k is a lot of money but you may have to eat the loss or pass it on to the next batchers. HYPOTHETICALLY what would each unit have to cost for you to cover your losses/make a profit and go with a faster chip/more RAM/better Wifi/ etc?

There isn't going to be a 1GHz chip going into Pandora for a long time if ever. We ordered THOUSANDS of 3530's a long time ago thinking that CC would actually produce boards on a schedule and those chips are going to run into batch 3. We can't just tell the distributor, "oh sorry, here take these back" because the parts are in our possession and the deal is done. If you don't want to take my or OP's word for it, you can ask Notaz and maybe other software devs. I discussed this with Notaz ages ago. We both agreed that we would love to go to the DM3730 but we pre-ordered a ton of 3530 stock that prevents any further discussion of such thing unfortunately. ED's wishful thinking has the unfortunate side effect of sounding official and he doesn't deal with parts ordering. Craig and I do (did) but now he knows the situation. Hopefully people keep reading this topic and realize that other than a possibly better paint job, their Pandora will be the same as everyone else. It has to be. We have no choice. We can't just toss $100k+ worth of chips in the garbage.

Crisis averted. Move along. Nothing to see here. :)

I´m a Pandora owner and I'm not upset, it's logical that processors get old in time and it's the price you have to pay for not waiting until 2020 :p

If there where TV cables, LCD cable replacements and the Pandora would work with the iCP, I would buy all those tree... :)

It would be better to dye it instead of painting and the paint goes off, so it is not a solution for holding the screen.

cant we forget the cpu upgrade until a pandora 2? and just replace the wifi module instead?

I don't really see why anybody's even CONSIDERING the opinions of people who already have their pandoras.

They have them and got them for a relatively good price at the time, the deal was done.

Why would you want someone to have an inferior product when they can get a better one for the same price?

I'd be more than happy to have an upgraded pandora considering how long I've been waiting but I'd have been just as happy if I got a regular pandora last year,

I don't really see why anybody's even CONSIDERING the opinions of people who already have their pandoras.

They have them and got them for a relatively good price at the time, the deal was done.

Why would you want someone to have an inferior product when they can get a better one for the same price?

I'd be more than happy to have an upgraded pandora considering how long I've been waiting but I'd have been just as happy if I got a regular pandora last year,

OMG don't get me started! just because I have had my Pandora a while doesn't mean I don't deserve a upgraded one any less than you!! I had to wait 2 and a half years to receive my Pandora which is prob longer than a lot of people who are claiming they NEED/DESERVE an upgraded Pandora had/will have to wait!!!

at the end of the day you and me both knew what were were purchasing when we made the decision to purchase the device in the first place, we both knew the specs and so that's what you SHOULD get too, if you want an upgraded Pandora then why shouldn't you have to pay more (than the retail price of the current gen pandora) just like I will probably have to if upgraded CPU's etc actually come about?

Also I don't want to here any crap about me paying less for the device, I paid less because I had the guts to pre-order them when OP ltd needed pre-order money to actually go out and create/finish the Pandora, its not my fault if you came at a later stage when the cost of the device went up (its actually a lot of things that made the price of the Pandora go up i.e. paypal issues, global depression, nub improvements and LCD improvements etc).

sorry if I offended anyone but its starting to get on my nerves that people think they deserve and easy ride to an upgraded device which prob wont happen anyway until the old SOCs are used up like MWESTON said

Last edited by a moderator:

OMG don't get me started! just because I have had my Pandora a while doesn't mean I don't deserve a upgraded one any less than you!! I had to wait 2 and a half years to receive my Pandora which is prob longer than a lot of people who are claiming they NEED/DESERVE an upgraded Pandora had/will have to wait!!!

at the end of the day you and me both knew what were were purchasing when we made the decision to purchase the device in the first place, we both knew the specs and so that's what you SHOULD get too, if you want an upgraded Pandora then why shouldn't you have to pay more just like I will probably have to if upgraded CPU's etc actually come about?

Also I don't want to here any crap about me paying less for the device, I paid less because I had the guts to pre-order them when OP ltd needed pre-order money to actually go out and create/finish the Pandora, its not my fault if you came at a later stage when the cost of the device went up (its actually a lot of things that made the price of the Pandora go up i.e. paypal issues, global depression, nub improvements and LCD improvements etc).

sorry if I offended anyone but its starting to get on my nerves that people think they deserve and easy ride to an upgraded device which prob wont happen anyway until the old SOCs are used up like MWESTON said
You're either a girl or you're just very immature for a 27 year old.

Yeah, "OMG" your opinions don't matter and even if they did, your arguing skills are poor at most.

It's not even about "deserving" anything, it's about what it is. You paid for your product and you got your product, that's that.

If the pandora can get upgraded for the same price or cheaper, then there's no reason not to do it. This is how computer technology is, prices change, better technology gets cheaper, don't bitch about it.

It was your decision to wait and you have your product, most people aren't happy about the wait but at least you have yours, stop being ungrateful and stop being sore about the poor timing.

Yeah, I knew what I was purchasing and at the moment I'm a bit iffy about the specs, if the CPU was upgraded then I'd just have to worry about the RAM which I'd be able to sort out by using swap-space on an SD card.

Again, you have your product and you got what you paid for. Quit whining. If the CPU costs a little more then I'll be fine with paying for it, if it doesn't, I shouldn't have to pay more. Companies upgrade their products all the time.

Oh? You paid less? And you're STILL whining? C'mon, just quit it already. You got what you paid for. Shush.

I don't accept your apology, stop being juvenile and deal with it.

You're either a girl or you're just very immature for a 27 year old.

Yeah, "OMG" your opinions don't matter and even if they did, your arguing skills are poor at most.

It's not even about "deserving" anything, it's about what it is. You paid for your product and you got your product, that's that.

If the pandora can get upgraded for the same price or cheaper, then there's no reason not to do it. This is how computer technology is, prices change, better technology gets cheaper, don't bitch about it.

It was your decision to wait and you have your product, most people aren't happy about the wait but at least you have yours, stop being ungrateful and stop being sore about the poor timing.

Yeah, I knew what I was purchasing and at the moment I'm a bit iffy about the specs, if the CPU was upgraded then I'd just have to worry about the RAM which I'd be able to sort out by using swap-space on an SD card.

Again, you have your product and you got what you paid for. Quit whining. If the CPU costs a little more then I'll be fine with paying for it, if it doesn't, I shouldn't have to pay more. Companies upgrade their products all the time.

Oh? You paid less? And you're STILL whining? C'mon, just quit it already. You got what you paid for. Shush.

LOL I don't even know where to start with this its so HILARIOUS

I will start here:

1. I am a 27 year old male.
  2. I'm not sour, I know I have a Pandora and I'm happy with it, I am not asking OP ltd to upgrade me (at least not for free and not until pre-orders have been fulfilled.

and I will follow those 2 answers with:

1. You know what you paid for and that's what you should receive, if your "iffy" about the specs then just cancel your order, if it hasn't arrived yet then you have the right to do so.
  2. OP ltd still have 1000's of the older CPU's to use up which they already paid for and have in their possession and in affect will actually cost OP ltd more to upgrade the CPU.

I appreciate what you are saying but you don't deserve a free upgrade (no one does) just like I do not, and just like you I am willing to pay for an upgrade.

it would be nice if OP ltd could could provide a free upgrade (if upgraded specs were on the cards which it isn't) but I doubt that will happen.

The only issue I'm having is people on both sides of this argument saying they DESERVE something more when they do not!

You got what you paid for. Shush.

LOL you call me juvenile?

And you will get what you paid for - a 600MHz device with 256MB RAM :)

This is all moot - they have thousands of OMAP SOCs in stock already, and there are no plans to upgrade for a number of years according to MWeston. And he would know, after all!

D.

LOL I don't even know where to start with this I'm such a WHINER

I will start here:

1. I am a 27 year old faggot.
  2. I'm not sour, I know I have a Pandora and I'm happy with it, I am not asking OP ltd to upgrade me (at least not for free and not until pre-orders have been fulfilled.

and I will follow those 2 answers with:

1. You know what you paid for and that's what you should receive, if your "iffy" about the specs then just cancel your order, if it hasn't arrived yet then you have the right to do so.
  2. OP ltd still have 1000's of the older CPU's to use up which they already paid for and have in their possession and in affect will actually cost OP ltd more to upgrade the CPU.

I appreciate what you are saying but you don't deserve a free upgrade (no one does) just like I do not, and just like you I am willing to pay for an upgrade.

it would be nice if OP ltd could could provide a free upgrade (if upgraded specs were on the cards which it isn't) but I doubt that will happen.

The only issue I'm having is people on both sides of this argument saying they DESERVE something more when they do not!

LOL you call me juvenile?
1- I paid for an item under the current specs that should've arrived within 3-6 months of my pre-order. I've decided that if there won't be a CPU upgrade, I'll just cancel my pre-order as there's other devices out there in 2011 that'll fulfill my needs.

2- Fortunately I'm one of the early batch-2 people so that won't be a problem and in my opinion, batch 2's should definitely receive some sort of upgrade to the original.

Can you please stop whining now? Boohoo, you have a device that thousands of people have been waiting for but as soon as they get offered something better you throw a fit.

@ZXDunny: no ty

i would be a bit angry if we cant send it in for a reasonable upgrade as i bought mine for $550 off some one who doesn't use it that much. as for emulators the prosser should be more then enough we just need to use new methods of emulation. look at the n64 psp emulator for example its almost running at full speed and will run at full speed in a few months once they move a bit of load off the cpu. long live the pandora :D

i would be a bit angry if we cant send it in for a reasonable upgrade as i bought mine for $550 off some one who doesn't use it that much. as for emulators the prosser should be more then enough we just need to use new methods of emulation. look at the n64 psp emulator for example its almost running at full speed and will run at full speed in a few months once they move a bit of load off the cpu. long live the pandora :D
I don't think you understand how emulation works, it'd be significantly more difficult to get an N64 emulator working on the Pandora.

i do have you ever looked at the methods the daedalusx64 emulator uses? yes i know the psp prosser is more powerful than arm but at the rate it runs games now i say that's very impressive. its speed vs accuracy. last time i checked Mupen64 is more about accuracy.

I think it wasn't mentioned before, so I will propose it: Fix the wifi if there is a new board revision. Maybe use a different chip.

isnt the wifi chip just under powered? if so all we need is a hotfix so we can choose good range or battery kinda like the psp does

This is all moot since like MWeston said an upgrade can't happen any time soon, and I have a feeling that by the time that option rolls around OP may prefer to do a more substantial hardware revision.

Still, a couple pieces of information in this thread I feel like responding to:

1) This wouldn't create any kind of split, it makes no sense to release two binaries. CPU-wise (and regarding the DSP, and GPU) DM3730 is nothing more than a faster OMAP3530. Any optimization techniques benefiting one would benefit the other.

2) Of all the emulators on Pandora I can only think of three that have had any real optimization effort after they've been released on Pandora, and I doubt the entirety of that effort was done only with Pandora in mind (as opposed to other mobile platforms). I really doubt using DM3730 would do anything to optimization efforts for software on Pandora.

3) The power consumption at the same clock speed would be lower because the newer SoC is manufactured on a smaller process. At higher clock speeds there'd be a further advantage of being able to run them at lower voltages.

Too bad it's not happening, I would have been interested in seeing if some programs run faster at the same clock speed due to the increase in L1 cache.

I don't think you understand how emulation works,

You don't suppose Dark_Link is a girl too, do you?

it'd be significantly more difficult to get an N64 emulator working on the Pandora.

I dunno, Mupen64 seems to be a very good step in the right direction!

D.

lol no i dont and i once thought barly running n64 on the pandora would be it..but recent changes in the psp scene has made me think differently and my advatar is a joke from Prometheus.

1- I paid for an item under the current specs that should've arrived within 3-6 months of my pre-order. I've decided that if there won't be a CPU upgrade, I'll just cancel my pre-order as there's other devices out there in 2011 that'll fulfill my needs.

2- Fortunately I'm one of the early batch-2 people so that won't be a problem and in my opinion, batch 2's should definitely receive some sort of upgrade to the original.

Can you please stop whining now? Boohoo, you have a device that thousands of people have been waiting for but as soon as they get offered something better you throw a fit.

Bye bye then :) looks like u will have to cancel you order because unfortunately it looks like you won't be getting any free upgrade to a faster CPU

batch 2's should definitely receive some sort of upgrade to the original.

Again why do you believe this is the case? Batch 2 pre-orders are not any more special than any other pre-order, get used to it.

It's probably better u cancel your order anyway because everyone dislikes people that are just out for themselves and this is a great community, with you it could be come tainted ;)

Do I look like I have a Pandora?

Anyway, what MWeston said crossed my mind as well, so it's a bit of a relief and actually I think Batch 2 could start much faster using components that OP already has than to use this potential different chip.

Let's just move production asap, start/finish Batch 2 and then focus on what a Pandora 2 may be.

And I'll go back to the waiting game (.. aaalmoooohst!! ...)

Back