Promoting The Pandora Via Youtube

-use a tripod ;)
-shoot the Videos in a neutral, clean environment, "white room" a huge table or something like this so the focus is clearly onto the Pandora.
-Videos showing cathegories: a video shows Pandora doing "Desktop" Applications (with full Keyboard action) Drawing, Writing, browsing...another Video shows Multimedia skills, Music, Videos, Pictures... the focus should be more onto freeware/Homebrew games and ports, instead of Emulators.
-a clearly visible FPS display (MHz too if possible"] when games/emu's are running is always a good Idea...
-not forgetting to mention the Battery runtime when playing or listening music...[/quote]Something that might be cool would be to make a rigid mount from a bit of wood. Have the Pandora centered uniformly in the frame so that you can see the whole thing. Then you walk with it in random locations while filming. When it's edited together, you get the effect of the Pandora staying still while the background changes or moves round it - highlights the mobility.

Also, if you record sound from the headphone jack while you film and then record voice-over you'd get a cleaner effect with minimal syncing hassles.

Was $0.02, now $0

Last edited by a moderator:
Poem58 posted on May 21 2009 at 10:42 AM said:
If you were to post say a Dreamcast game, maybe, you might be OK. Depends if Sega would want to port or are selling for another console. Kinda a gray area there. Still not wise to connect it to the sales of the device anyway.
You got a point there. You know what would be cool, is if we could contact Sega and ask them if they would like to develop games for the Pandora. I know it's highly unlikely that that would happen, but if Sega agreed to it, then that could probably really make Pandora sales skyrocket. Sega may have abandoned their hardware division, but they're still a well-known name in the industry. Also, to me, they've always seemed like the one force of good in the gaming industry,

-God Ginrai

Mithrildor posted on May 21 2009 at 07:08 PM said:
Run outside again!
a great idea. Show the people, in only one video:
1. Running with it outside - people love to see the portability.
2. Show a ds lite, and next to it the pandora. Show a picture on both devices, and let the crowd get an impression of the screen size and resolution. Can also be done with a psp..or both.
3. Show the great angstrom booting up a powerful game with high graphics.
4. Do all this in a video of about 3 minutes, with some nice effects and background music.
5. Spam away! :p

Craig:
If you are making a movie 10 min long, make sure there's enough to grab people's attention in the beginning and cut out parts with nothing happening. Short compact segments are more interesting. People get bored really fast on the web.

If you can, make a comparison shot of a website displaying in Pandora compared to other handhelds. That way people can really understand how the high resolution works.

Awakening posted on May 22 2009 at 12:16 AM said:
Craig:
If you are making a movie 10 min long, make sure there's enough to grab people's attention in the beginning and cut out parts with nothing happening. Short compact segments are more interesting. People get bored really fast on the web.
If you can, make a comparison shot of a website displaying in Pandora compared to other handhelds. That way people can really understand how the high resolution works.

also true.

Offtopic: yay emoticons are working again!!! :) every forum bug is squashed:)

Craig,

A perfect example of effective youtube marketing is the Original Skateboard company. A simple youtube search for "longboarding" and half the first page is their videos. Their videos are very well filmed and are what turned my simple curiosity into me buying a board from them. They also actively respond to their comments.

Honestly, it is this marketing that has propelled this small independent longboard company to where they are today.
Check it out.

*not affiliated

God Ginrai posted on May 21 2009 at 12:18 PM said:
If you were to post say a Dreamcast game, maybe, you might be OK. Depends if Sega would want to port or are selling for another console. Kinda a gray area there. Still not wise to connect it to the sales of the device anyway.
You got a point there. You know what would be cool, is if we could contact Sega and ask them if they would like to develop games for the Pandora. I know it's highly unlikely that that would happen, but if Sega agreed to it, then that could probably really make Pandora sales skyrocket. Sega may have abandoned their hardware division, but they're still a well-known name in the industry. Also, to me, they've always seemed like the one force of good in the gaming industry,
-God Ginrai

>Sega
>Force of good
>Every sonic game of the current decade

quartercast posted on May 21 2009 at 03:40 PM said:
Yay, welcome to the biannual copyright debate thread!

Please insert random scaremongering here --->|
As I said "There's nothing stopping other users posting vids of commercial roms running."

Craig and co are in a different position to the likes of you and I. They are directly connected to the Pandora and are therefore much higher profile. I doubt anything would ever happen but why take an unnecessary risk?

IMO there's no need to post vids of commercial games.

I bet the Quake III vids for instance have had shedloads of hits.

Any introduction to the Pandora video would also get loads of hits without including commercial roms etc and would generate plenty of interest. As I said before, anyone interested would research the device and find out about the emulation possibilities for themselves.

Is the Wiz officially touted as an emulation device?

Anyway enough of the Copyright crap. Yes Craig an introduction video is a cracking idea. Maybe a comparison of the screen real estate would be worth putting in there somewhere to show just how paltry the DS and PSP screens are in comparison.

ToaD

PoisonedV posted on May 22 2009 at 02:09 AM said:
-God Ginrai

>Sega
>Force of good
Sonic Fucking Adventure 2.
Sonic Rush 1 and 2.
The running bits of Sonic Unleashed.
Sonic Advanced.
Lawlwalwal.

BTW, I think Matchbox is a lot more visually appealing. People are getting more and more used to that kind of interface through modern mobile phones and handhelds. It's also very touch friendly with large icons so you can use it with your fingers.

Awakening posted on May 22 2009 at 11:51 AM said:
BTW, I think Matchbox is a lot more visually appealing. People are getting more and more used to that kind of interface through modern mobile phones and handhelds. It's also very touch friendly with large icons so you can use it with your fingers.
I've wondered why we haven't seen Matchbox since when they shown the theme I made for them. That was like January :(

MDave posted on May 22 2009 at 01:16 PM said:
I've wondered why we haven't seen Matchbox since when they shown the theme I made for them. That was like January :(
IIRC ED was working on some updates, some time ago. It looked very clean and functional, only problem was the lack of a task bar for easy multitasking. I really liked the look of it, and it also gave the Pandora a style of it's own. Great background too.

PoisonedV posted on May 21 2009 at 09:09 PM said:
-God Ginrai

>Sega
>Force of good
I'm sorry, could you please explain to me what the > in front of the text means? I have no idea what you were saying with that post. :\

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai posted on May 22 2009 at 03:22 PM said:
-God Ginrai

>Sega
>Force of good
I'm sorry, could you please explain to me what the > in front of the text means? I have no idea what you were saying with that post. :\

-God Ginrai
It's a thing he takes off of *chans. Just used to quote bits of the text.

And then take the piss out of it.

(naw)mcx posted on May 22 2009 at 10:29 AM said:
-God Ginrai

>Sega
>Force of good

-God Ginrai

So if I understand you correctly, he was insulting Sega?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai posted on May 22 2009 at 04:28 PM said:
(naw)mcx posted on May 22 2009 at 10:29 AM said:

-God Ginrai

>Sega
>Force of good

-God Ginrai

So if I understand you correctly, he was insulting Sega?

-God Ginrai
Aye, he was.

Awakening posted on May 22 2009 at 02:15 PM said:
IIRC ED was working on some updates, some time ago. It looked very clean and functional, only problem was the lack of a task bar for easy multitasking. I really liked the look of it, and it also gave the Pandora a style of it's own. Great background too.
Ahh, but there is a 'task bar' for easy multitasking :) when you have a program or more running, you select the top of the window (the title of the program to be exact) and a drop down menu shows up showing programs running :) Fullscreen applications (like games) won't have this feature of course, but I'm sure there is something equivilant to windows alt-tab, perhaps the Pandora button.

MDave posted on May 22 2009 at 01:59 PM) [quote="Awakening posted on May 22 2009 at 02:15 PM said:
Ahh, but there is a 'task bar' for easy multitasking :) when you have a program or more running, you select the top of the window (the title of the program to be exact) and a drop down menu shows up showing programs running :) Fullscreen applications (like games"] won't have this feature of course, but I'm sure there is something equivilant to windows alt-tab, perhaps the Pandora button.[/quote]Is there some other form of Taskbar in Matchbox? Or is there a way to get that on the bottom instead of the top of the program? I don't like to have any of my OS functions at the top of the screen, except for a dock, so it would really help when I'm customizing my Pandora to my tastes if this is possible.

EDIT: Or maybe this might be worth looking at? http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...p;mode=threaded

Probably not using the Openbox WM or whatever, but Matchbox + XFCE panel might be nice. I personally love XFCE, and it would get us a nice Taskbar.

-God Ginrai

Back