PS3 Controller

As much as I love Sony products, I am not happy knowing that since visiting the wiki and reading more about Geohot and his argument against Sony (and following the link to his blog) that due to a court order granted Sony they will now be tracking my IP and where I visit for who know how long, just because I looked at the dudes blog.

I'm speechless.
Because of how successfully and thoroughly you derailed this thread?

As much as I love Sony products, I am not happy knowing that since visiting the wiki and reading more about Geohot and his argument against Sony (and following the link to his blog) that due to a court order granted Sony they will now be tracking my IP and where I visit for who know how long, just because I looked at the dudes blog.

I'm speechless.
Because of how successfully and thoroughly you derailed this thread?

Well, that and the IP-tracking thing.

Back to topic: I tried some time ago to use a PS3 controller with my pandora with no luck. You should be able to find the thread in this forum if you search it.

I had no luck making the PS3 pad and Pandora work together. There's a program used to pair the Pandora and the gamepad. You connect the pad to the Pandora using a USB cable, run the program and the pad gets ready to be used with the Pandora. I could complete this step. The problem is I was not able to connect then the pad to the Pandora using Bluetooth.

If someone knows how to do this, please post info about it.

Back to topic: I tried some time ago to use a PS3 controller with my pandora with no luck. You should be able to find the thread in this forum if you search it.

I had no luck making the PS3 pad and Pandora work together. There's a program used to pair the Pandora and the gamepad. You connect the pad to the Pandora using a USB cable, run the program and the pad gets ready to be used with the Pandora. I could complete this step. The problem is I was not able to connect then the pad to the Pandora using Bluetooth.

If someone knows how to do this, please post info about it.

Has anyone created a how-to guide for this actually? Because everything I can find on the subject is complete Chinese to me with all the "do this" and "run this" (where, how, when, etc?!). Seriously, someone needs to make a PND for this with a build-in script that does everything it needs to do.

Manual should be like this: connect PS3 controller with USB cable to Pandora connection X, run PND, have fun!

It's either me or all the Linux experts want to keep staying in wonderland of how amazing things are when you accidentally discover things yourself after a bazillion tries. Pandora needs to be something that everyone can use, not only Linux experts. Connecting a controller to a normal PC also works out of the box, and in my opinion it needs to be the same with the Pandora.

For the record, I know some basic Linux stuff but these so-called "guides" are really a joke. It needs to be something a child could understand, and it's not.

I have just ordered the bits to make a tv out cable so it would be handy to get my ps3 controller working so I can close the lid and leave the pandora by the tele to recline in comfort (because of length of cable)

Not sure if the six axis pairing app has either been fixed, worked out what went wrong where, or if the Bluetooth of Pandora is still an in issue but you might be waiting for the next Pandora OS Yars (plus lots of testing and further work) to get BT working well enough for your cunning plan.

An iCP might do it for now but again, I am unsure if the Pandora and iCP really mix that well yet, despite the shared controls origins.

In apps like mame, where you can redefine every key it shouldn't be a problem with the ICP. Might be a problem with apps, that don't support redefining the keys or can't use joysticks.

The Pandora does not really need a ps three controller thats like puttung a gamecube controller on a gba

I'm interested in getting my Dualshock 3 working on my Pandora because the only other controller choice I have is a SNES to USB adapter at the moment (and SNES pads are cool and all, but the Dualshock 3 is better and more versatile, and more importantly, I think 2-player would be better if both players have an external controller). Unless the Logitech F310 can work, but I think I've read somewhere that DirectInput and XInput controllers don't work on the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://dl.openhandhe...i?0,0,0,0,115,4

I'm assuming everyone's tried this? I haven't got around to it as my PS3 controller is packed away before my move, the iCP I use in keyboard mode and that works for most things on the Pandora, just means the nubs don't work but for NES and PicoDrive it works amazingly for 2 player.

I finally tried this just now, and no, it doesn't seem to work. It prints out an error message saying it doesn't see the controller ("No controller found on USB busses"). The controller is connected just fine, via a USB 2.0 hub, with a standard-A to mini-B USB cable, and I've verified that the controller works in corded mode as a controller, so this is a confusing message.

But, it is nice to know that the thing can be used in corded mode. I didn't know that previously. I think I tested it before, but in retrospect, I probably crashed the USB driver (I think that's what crashes, right?), because I'm so used to plugging in the empty hub first and didn't know that this causes issues on the Pandora until recently.

I'm interested in getting my Dualshock 3 working on my Pandora because the only other controller choice I have is a SNES to USB adapter at the moment (and SNES pads are cool and all, but the Dualshock 3 is better and more versatile, and more importantly, I think 2-player would be better if both players have an external controller). Unless the Logitech F310 can work, but I think I've read somewhere that DirectInput and XInput controllers don't work on the Pandora.

For what it's worth, I just bought a Logitech F710 Wireless Gamepad which has both DirectInput and XInput settings. So far, this controller works on my Pandora with no problems (I have it plugged in through a USB 2.0 hub).

For what it's worth, I just bought a Logitech F710 Wireless Gamepad which has both DirectInput and XInput settings. So far, this controller works on my Pandora with no problems (I have it plugged in through a USB 2.0 hub).

Really? I just now tried connecting my F310 through a USB 2.0 hub and had no success with either DirectInput or XInput mode. The controller has power clearly (I can press the Mode button and the light turns on/off), but it isn't detected as a controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? I just now tried connecting my F310 through a USB 2.0 hub and had no success with either DirectInput or XInput mode. The controller has power clearly (I can press the Mode button and the light turns on/off), but it isn't detected as a controller.

I'm running SuperZaxxon Beta 3, booting from the older 2.6.27 kernel. I tried updating to the latest Beta 4, but that caused USB issues in both the new and older kernels, so I went back. I usually leave mine in DirectInput mode, and the USB dongle is already plugged into the hub when I plug the hub into the Pandora. Sometimes it doesn't immediately show up in PCSX ReARMed, but a device rescan there quickly finds it.

Have you confirmed that the controller works on a different system? I wonder what differences these two controllers have other than the model number.

Have you confirmed that the controller works on a different system?

Yeah. It's the controller I usually use on the PC since it's easier to set up than the Dualshock 3. It works fine on GNU/Linux (Linux Mint 12 with Cinnamon, to be exact), but only in XInput mode. DirectInput doesn't work at all for me; even the Mode button doesn't do anything (on both the desktop running GNU/Linux and the Pandora), and DirectInput has never worked on GNU/Linux (worked on Windows, though I haven't actually tested that recently).

I already considered the USB host crashing as a possibility and checked that by plugging a USB drive into the hub, and that worked just fine.

I'm still on HF6, so maybe there's something new in SuperZaxxon?

I'm running SuperZaxxon Beta 3, booting from the older 2.6.27 kernel. I tried updating to the latest Beta 4, but that caused USB issues in both the new and older kernels, so I went back. I usually leave mine in DirectInput mode, and the USB dongle is already plugged into the hub when I plug the hub into the Pandora. Sometimes it doesn't immediately show up in PCSX ReARMed, but a device rescan there quickly finds it.

Update: I just reflashed to SuperZaxxon Beta 5a, and now, while USB seems to work perfectly well, I can't get the Pandora to recognize the Logitech F710 Wireless Gamepad. I then reflashed to what I was running and it worked again...on more reflash to the latest and it no longer works. Could this be due to a lost driver between firmwares? If so, how can I get that driver back? If it is not, what is it?

Possibly that the USB Host is disabled by default in beta5a of SZ. You have to use the panel icon widget to 'enable USB Host', then hopefully your gamepad will be recognised again.

Possibly that the USB Host is disabled by default in beta5a of SZ. You have to use the panel icon widget to 'enable USB Host', then hopefully your gamepad will be recognised again.

I have both the USB Host and the USB Network set to automatically start at boot, and everything else that I've plugged in works with no problem. Do you still think this could be the issue?

In that case probably not, as I was making my suggestion incase you had overlooked the disabled by default aspect of this firmware. If other USB items are recognised and working then your suspicions of something else that different in this firmware are probably correct. You'll need input from the experts round here, rather than the armchair supporters like myself but it was worth a shot. Hope you get it sorted :)

Back