Votes: 79 39.9%
  • No

Votes: 119 60.1%

• Total voters

Confusion is gone.. It's a mini USB A-B conn

mini-usb_female.gif

Looks different but it accepts both a and b cables. Correct me if i'm wrong

/facepalm

Of course the 'Pandora power supply' does not exist in the sense that it would be unique, neither does the PSP one, they are just off the shelf parts, and there are a lot to choose from, we just want to hear your experiences before we buy 4000+ from one of the manufacturers. We know where Sony get theirs from, but it's not the only option.

I don't have one (not buying Sony products, and also not owning any devices that use a similar power supply, I suspect this is quite natural :p).

mQQm said:
I have no idea about the quality but its probably worth a look Link
As good as DealExtreme can be for random cheap bits-and-bobs, I would have to say that they're the last place I would look for a stable, high-quality power supply. :p (I may be mistaken, but I believe similar has been said in at least one other thread previously...)

Last edited by a moderator:
My tomtom charger: http://www.ak2power.com/p_a10p1.htm (Taiwan)
My phone headset: http://www.apd.com.tw/contents/products_01.asp?majcidx=3 (Taiwan)
I also have one from this brand: http://www.pantene.com.hk/group1.html (Taiwan) but with a different plug
Apart from the tomtom adapt, they all look crappy as hell xD

I also have been looking tru all the adapters i have in my house and i find funny how shitty the grand majority is B)
Ex: http://www.wattac.com/en/product/BA0101CI-050-A01.htm

And a not so shitty one : http://www.cui.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=795543&catky=764537&subcatky1=934367&subcatky2=&subcatky3=

Digikey has some nice options with lots of non-chinese made psu's

I haven't had a problem with the PSP one. Then again, I don't think I've ever had a problem with any power supply brick.

craigix said:
we just want to hear your experiences before we buy 4000+ from one of the manufacturers.

Nice you say that, i was thinking that it was going to come without the power supply...

I have a PSP charger, but you have to plug it into the PSP at exactly the right angle for it to charge. A new charger would probably be a good purchase.

nikkopt said:
Protip: you can charge your pandora tru USB :p

Protip: USB is a slower charge than AC.

And by doing that you can not use that USB port while charging. (or at least without hassle and possible extra wires)

craigix said:
Of course the 'Pandora power supply' does not exist in the sense that it would be unique, neither does the PSP one, they are just off the shelf parts, and there are a lot to choose from, we just want to hear your experiences before we buy 4000+ from one of the manufacturers. We know where Sony get theirs from, but it's not the only option.

I haven't heard about the PSP ones having much trouble. My friends seem to say that they haven't had any trouble with theirs. I'd suggest just buying from the same company they did unless you find some glaring error in it.

-God Ginrai

i have a psp to, and i find it is a good idea to use the psp power supply because: when i want to charge my pandora in my ford fiesta, i need a power supply for 12V, in shops where you can buy a psp, you often find a car power supply for 12V and use it whit the pandora.. B)

matzesu said:
i have a psp to, and i find it is a good idea to use the psp power supply because: when i want to charge my pandora in my ford fiesta, i need a power supply for 12V, in shops where you can buy a psp, you often find a car power supply for 12V and use it whit the pandora.. B)

No matter what, the PSP power supply will work. What Craig is asking is whether the power supply made by the people who made the PSP power supply should be what they send out with the Pandora.

-God Ginrai

I've not got a PSP power supply. However, like a lot of people here, I probably have something that could do the job already. Hopefully I'm not going to need to trawl through everything looking for a suitable power supply.

Well to be honest a USB connector is the best bet, all phones are going that way giving the option to charge from a brick/lappy/pc/mac or whatever; You know it makes sense ;o)

The problem with USB is that it cant provide enough current to charge as fast as the psp power supply.

craigix said:

I've been using an Optex CamPower model DCAC384 (3 - 8.4V, 2.5A) for 2 years to power my digital camera (3.3V, 2.5A), but it was rather expensive at around 50$ CAD at Future Shop.

the adapter: http://www.gentec-intl.com/GentecInc/HR/OPTEX/DCAC384+Camera.jpg

I use it in the car as a dashboard cam, the adapter is powered from an 12VDC -> 120VAC inverter (not the cleanest power source) and the camera (HP M407) is pretty happy with it wired straight to the camera's battery terminals at 3.3V (the DC plug on the camera went flaky a year ago so I rewired it, don't try this at home kids).

even without batteries in it to buffer the current demand spikes the camera runs fine with the adapter wired as a battery.

I don't have access to a digital oscilloscope so I can't check the cleanliness of the supply, but all the other (cheaper) adapters I've tried with that camera either melted or the camera would crash and/or shutdown.

greendots said:
The problem with USB is that it cant provide enough current to charge as fast as the psp power supply.
Actually, you have the best of both worlds with USB. You can use an identification resistor to decide how to charge. So if you plug in a normal usb cable to a PC, it will draw anything between 100mA to 500mA, but if you plug it into a mains or 12V adaptor, you can draw 2A. This is only possible with mini usb.

Most USB-charging phones work in the same way, and is also the reason why people get confused when they use a bogo standard usb cable to a AC->USB adaptor instead of the provided charger or cable and then post questions asking why there phone doesn't charge.

Squidge said:
Most USB-charging phones work in the same way, and is also the reason why people get confused when they use a bogo standard usb cable to a AC->USB adaptor instead of the provided charger or cable and then post questions asking why there phone doesn't charge.

Can you clarify this part of your post please? I'm not sure what you are saying people should/n't do... are you saying AC > USB adapters don't provide enough current, or that you need a special USB A > Mini B connector for it to charge and not just a normal one?

I have two PSP chargers. The first worked great for about a year, plugging in to charge every night. Then I got a cat who decided it looked delicious. The cables at any rate.
The next one was a warehouse second, conveniently found and purchased after my cat chewed through the first one. I had that for about a year as well, and then the MS reader died, turning my PSP into a brick.

As long as the PSP charger works for the Pandora, don't bother sending me a charger with my Pandora; save yourself the resources, 'cause I won't need it.

The ability to use any PSP charging accessories is independent of the charger that the decide to ship with the Pandora itself. Most (all?) PSP charging accessories should work fine with the Pandora, assuming they provide similar voltage/amperage to what the wall charger provides.

Back