Psp Vs Gp2x

Miknal

First of all, this isn't a flaming topic, just a curiousity post from someone deciding which to buy.

Ok, as far as I can see the PSP, now it has been hacked, is a far better emulation console than the GP2X. It's got the better stats and more people will buy it. (So bigger fanbase to work on it.)

So, what can the GP2X do or do better than the PSP? (I'm hoping it's something, PSP is annoyingly expensive.)

The fanbase of the PSP might be stronger but I don't think the developer base is. GP2X is much easier to develop for because it is designed to be an open system.

PSP power in my opinion is over rated, its often quoted with two 333mhz cpu's which is false the second chip isn't general purpose (or anything near that speed) either it takes a good coder to get it to help out at all. Same goes for the gpu, its 2d acceleration is quite limited (but 3d plentiful). I'm not saying the gp2x is better for emulation i just dont think anyone knows yet. I mean it does have two functioning 200mhz cores, 2d acceleration and a less cpu dependant sound core in comparison to the gp32.
But for me i just like to own something different to everyone else. My friends are like my ipod and psp look so slick togeather they seem scared of buying something different or being different.
; |...

Before I begin, let's make something clear: I own 2 PSP's. So I am in no way anti-PSP.

Here's why I'm excited about the GPX2 and why I want one despite owning my PSP's:

CONTROL: GP2X has what appears to be perfect controls for emulation. The PSP dpad is perhaps the worst on any handheld. And the analog pad makes a poor substitute.

OPEN DEVELOPMENT: The GP2X is 100% friendly to developers, whether they be working on emus, homebrew games/apps or commercial games/apps. Anyone who wants to dev for GP2X can do so, and not hide in the shadows. With PSP, it's a constant battle of cat and mouse as Sony desperately tries to crush homebrew on the platform.

RAM: The PSP is somewhat limited with emulation due to lack of RAM. For example, it can't load most CPS2, or many NeoGeo MVS, ROMs into RAM. The GP2X can do so, with twice the RAM as PSP.

TV-OUT: With tv-out capablity as standard, the GP2X is more than just another handheld. Combined with emulators, it becomes a mini retro-console that be plugged right into a TV.

SCENE: The PSP scene has become plagued with hordes of whiny "I started gaming way back on PS1!" kiddies, pirates and leech sites. IMO it's become pretty lame. Bigger isn't better. In fact less popularity a scene has, the better it stays IMO. The GP2X looks to inherit the GP32 scene, which is still one of the best ones around. And since GP2X will never begcome as famous or have as many users as PSP, we stand a decent chance of maintaining a good, intelligent, friendly userbase.

Those things alone make the GP2X a very worthy choice. In fact, I own many handhelds, but I plan to make Gp2X and PSP my main ones. The PSP will used for fancy commercial games from big companies, and the GP2X will be used for emus, homebrew and some commercial games. Both do multimedia well, so I'm not sure which one I will use for those functions.

Also, the GP2X deserves support for the open source philosophy it represents. What Sony seeks to destroy, GPH seeks to encourage.

Miknal posted on Sep 18 2005 at 12:29 PM said:
Ok, as far as I can see the PSP, now it has been hacked, is a far better emulation console than the GP2X. It's got the better stats and more people will buy it.

1. The PSP isn't the better emulation console, since one 333mhz CPU (the 3d GPU can only marginally used for emulation) is not as good as two 200mhz CPUs (possibly overclockable even higher).

2. The PSP isn't the better emulation console, since the screen ratio actually results in a smaller screen when emulating older consoles.

3. The PSP isn't the better emulation console, since it doesn't have a 12 way digital stick, and both the four buttons and the analog stick suck for games ment for a 8 way digital stick.

Other reasons why the PSP sucks:

1. Really short battery time (max 4-6h compared to 8-10h for the GP2x) and the battery can't be replaced by cheap AAs

2. You can either play Homebrews & emu, or new games since Sony updates the firmware to make it 'secure' again.

3. The PSP uses Memorysticks, which are a lot more expansive than SDs

4. You can't just put Divx movies on the PSP without resizing them on the PC first, which take quite a bit of time.

Overall I would say, the only reason to buy a PSP is the commercial (expensive) games that are available for it, in all other aspects the GP2x is a lot better.

Edit: Oh and add the reasons above to that ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a PSP and A first batch gp32. I ve been around both communities for a while now. Although the PSP fanbase is larger (due to major marketing by Sony), The GP32 community and soon to be gp2x community is stronger, more of a cohesive and determined group.

Now I ain't gettin sappy here, I am just saying that I preordered my gp2x because of the way this community "works together." Since the begginning in 2001 the Gp32x community has MADE the gp32 bigger than it should have been. The PSP group can never do that.
In terms of emulation....why the hell would anyone really want homebrew on a PSP, which is meant to have only exculsive widescreen games and movie play. I ll stick to my commercial games and movies for the PSP. (not bustin on homebrew folks for PSP, I just think that emulation and homebrew don't quite mix with the "design" of the PSP in mind).

Sorry charlie, I ll take my Gp32 and GP2x for all the open source, homebrew goodness.

unlucky posted on Sep 18 2005 at 12:43 PM said:
My friends are like my ipod and psp look so slick togeather they seem scared of buying something different or being different.
; |...

LOL.....

you don't ever buy something to be different (although i hear fools do), you buy as it offeres something you want and at the moment, for emulation, the PSP is the way to go.

Poobik The Hare posted on Sep 18 2005 at 04:01 PM said:
unlucky posted on Sep 18 2005 at 12:43 PM said:
My friends are like my ipod and psp look so slick togeather they seem scared of buying something different or being different.
; |...

LOL.....

you don't ever buy something to be different (although i hear fools do), you buy as it offeres something you want and at the moment, for emulation, the PSP is the way to go.

Yes that was some retarted phrasing by me i more meant they aren't prepared to buy something that no one even knows about (following the crowd etc etc). Yes sure i'd buy the psp but its not as powerful as people say it is, it didn't take me long to find that out. And i cant afford to constantly buy commerical games that soon add up to the cost of the orignal console. The gp2x is cheaper, may well be better for 2d emulation and gph aren't going to make me choose between new commerical games and homebrew every new game release

Alright, I have owned a PSP since about a few weeks after they came out. I was into the whole emulator thing and let me tell you based on what Ive experienced -they suck. The screen IS bad, the emulators DO run slowly, and its like solving a freakin rubics cube getting games and stuff on there, what with the dual memory card swapping and all that crap. So IMO: GP2X all the way man.

Gp2x have Better CPU, RAM, Accelerator ,Control and SUPPORT for homebrew and Emulation. What else? Oh yeah, SD Cards, 3:4 screen, Tv out, easy to develop for cpus, linux,...

Gp2x own the psp on every aspects for Homebrew and emulators.

People need to understand that The CPU of the gp2x is way better than the psp one for homebrew and emulators too. People need to understand that a dual 200mhz CPU is better than a single (cause the other is locked) 333mhz Cpu...And that cpu was 'overclocked', the 200mhz cpu isn't overclocked yet.

Psp have no 2d accelerator too. yes, i do have a 3d accelerator, but it's pretty useless for homebrew and emus. The community is also way better on the gp32/gp2x side. Have you ever seen a forum of the psp community? Kids who have no idea of what they're talking about, who don't understand how things work and all, talking about possibilities to do a gamcube and dreamcast emu on psp....and this is a real thread on a real psp community forum that i saw while visiting one.

GPH supports Homebrew, Sony don't. Help GPH because they're helping you.

And i don't say psp isn't good, it's good for comercial games, that is.

Yup, I'm a psp owner myself, and I agree with Prophet and everyone else here. They're 2 different machines.
User videos should be better on the gp2x, too(no reencodes or huge low qual videos).

Wicked Dark posted on Sep 18 2005 at 04:02 PM said:
Alright, I have owned a PSP since about a few weeks after they came out. I was into the whole emulator thing and let me tell you based on what Ive experienced -they suck. The screen IS bad, the emulators DO run slowly, and its like solving a freakin rubics cube getting games and stuff on there, what with the dual memory card swapping and all that crap. So IMO: GP2X all the way man.

Well that is kind of wrong. You do not have to do the memory card swap anymore.

The screen has awesome contrast, but the refresh rate is slow so you get smearing with fast scrollers. The aspect is not to emu friendly either. Other than that it is gorgeous.

Many emus run full speed on it too. The SNES emu is kind of slow but it runs the best I have seen on any handheld. It even has *transparencies* something that the GP2X may not do. Transparencies make the SNES look real nice so it will suck not having them.

We don't even know if the second core will be useable for emus or not in the GP2X. If not it won't be that much faster than the GP32. This is a wait and see kind of thing.

According to the magic eyes mp2520f datasheet, it looks like 24bit is the maximum bit depth.

"MP2520F’s LCD Controller (LCDC) generates the data and timing for active display. It has a variety of userprogrammable
options including display type and size, output data width, and output data type.
Display sizes up to 1024x768 pixels are supported. However, Bit per pixel (BPP) limits the maximum size screen the
LCDC can drive, due to the memory bandwidth. The digital video output supports 12bit/16bit/18bit/24bit RGB,
8bit/12bit Multiplexed RGB (MRGB), and CCIR656, CCIR601, 4:4:4 YCbCr. The MRGB output mode supports the
external DVI transmitter.

Back