PSP2

looks like a nice piece of kit,but with the 3ds and the playstation phone,theres alot to choose from.

Unconfirmed reports of the NGP battery lasting 4-5 hours with the standard battery.

Will be interesting to see how long it does last.

There are two really appealing/scary features. The 1080p 5inch OLED screen

Humm? 1080p? That would be 1920x1080... surely not the resolution of the OLED :)

Unconfirmed reports of the NGP battery lasting 4-5 hours with the standard battery.

Will be interesting to see how long it does last.

How long did they say the PSP1000 one will last?

Mine never lasted longer than 3 - 3.5 hours...

From the specs it will have a 5-inch OLED screen with a 960 x 544 resolution

I'm salivating at the emulation possibilities if it is jailbroken. Full speed n64 for sure. Full speed dreamcast on at least some games wouldn't be out of the question.

I'm pretty sure they will have the same piracy prevention in it as the PS3 - only without the rand flaw.

Everything is hackable. It just depends how persistent the community is. Besides, I see a jailbroken psp2 as a good thing for the pandora. Better coded emulators for ARM benefits everyone.

Unconfirmed that the battery isnt replaceable, it might still be but who knows. But they say roughly comparable to the regular PSP (no distinction in which model) Generally I get about 6 hours or so because I dont feel the need to have it on full blast brightness.

they've said that the battery is not replaceable because of the back touch screen, but they also said the six-axis couldn't have rumble...so who knows

There are two really appealing/scary features. The 1080p 5inch OLED screen, and the Playstation Suite integration with Android. Games and content make or break the device. With that screen, it's an ideal media player and with that Android integration, people will have their iPhone-type games to go along with console polished ones. Android and iPhone devices are way overpriced already, this is an easy alternative given the expected pricing.

Irrelevant to me personally since I've outgrown the whole portable gaming thing, but we really need to get something like Corona SDK in on the Pandora if we want to see a major flood of games and stuff on the Pandora.

Playstation Suite has only been announced for other Android platforms like PSP phone, not for PSP2. So there's no word at all that PSP2 will run Android, but I wouldn't count it out. If it happens it makes the "it's not open" complaint a lot of you are giving pretty much moot.

No SDK is going to make a flood of games happen for Pandora. You won't see a lot of $$ used to get games on Pandora unless companies think there'll be a lot of $$ back, which won't ever be viable with only a few thousand sold.

As others have said the screen isn't 1080p, but there's no real point in making one at that size. For 5 inch you might see 720p but that's about it. That is, unless Apple was completely full of shit in their retina display advertising. But I suspect they weren't, and that that pixel density really does approach the limits of usefulness, with anything higher at least feeling harsh diminishing returns. PSP2's display is larger than iPhone 4's with close to the same resolution for a different aspect ratio.. it's not quite the same density but it's still very good, and being OLED is icing on the cake.

How long did they say the PSP1000 one will last?
Mine never lasted longer than 3 - 3.5 hours...

Mine lasted the advertised 5-6 hours, something several other reports confirmed. Maybe you were running it at the highest brightness setting. Even DSi doesn't last very long at its highest brightness. Or you were using wifi extensively. Or you didn't have a very good battery.

Nonetheless, I expect PSP2 to have a higher relative efficiency than PSP did, because;

- No moving parts optical drive which takes a lot of power (a good way to gain battery life on PSP is to move the game to memory stick with a custom firmware.. something that also reduces loading times dramatically)

- Quad-core CPU offers potentially much better perf/W IF the game is very well threaded.. by this point game devs have gotten pretty good at this, thanks to the more recent consoles and PCs

- Word has it that PSP had a pretty big and power hungry GPU which makes sense given its PS2-like pedigree. In comparison SGX line is well known to be very power efficient.

- Tighter system integration than PSP, ie more is on a central SoC

- Since PSP was released wifi chips have gotten a lot more power efficient, not surprising given that they appear in everything mobile now

- OLED has been hyped to eventually use less power than LCD, maybe this will finally make good on that

- More surface area on the back which means Sony can use a higher capacity battery

From here it's up to Sony to pick a capacity that fits the target battery life they're after. I have a feeling we won't get the industry's best density, much like you definitely won't on 3DS. In fact I expect Sony to float around whatever 3DS advertises. But I certainly don't expect them to settle for < 3 hours.

As for the relative difference in performance, the move from 90nm at PSP's launch to an alleged 45nm (but maybe it's 40nm) for PSP2, so you get your die density and frequency boosts there. The only downer is that PSP2 is probably not launching at 32 or 28nm.. if Sony waited a few more months they could have made this a reality and probably could have had substantially better perf/W, but being out for Christmas 2011 is probably critical. I guess we can blame TSMC for not being ready in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back