Why Nintendo might be in trouble

i think a modded sony NGP will emulate playstation 2, gamecube and xbox nicely. oh and dreamcast and saturn. and n64.
Why not just use a Qualcomm APQ8064 equipped Android platform and iControlPad? By the time NGP is cracked and development would get anywhere the NGP's specs should be inferior to what Android is offering, particularly with Linaro insuring the pace picks up.

I don't really see the point of giving a closed source proprietary developer money so against their wishes you can whap it over the head and drag it into an alley for reconstruction surgery into the approximation of a open handheld. Why not just start with an open handheld and thus have your dollar-votes represent what you actually want?

Particularly given that Sony isn't just sorta hostile to their devices getting cracked... They border on Dalek-like with the control obsession and "Exterminate!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody that buys a gaming device from Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft with the hopes of hacking it to emulate other systems is beyond me. It just seems like a lot of work to get it emulating. When it does emulate you need to worry about updates and getting sued. Why not get a PC for the TV or a smart phone/open gaming handheld for travel that can emulate? In the end it is a lot easier and a lot less of a chance you'll be taken to court.

Because if we don't fight for our rights to use the hardware we've bought the way we want, soon, even on a PC you won't be able to use the softwares/os you want on them.

Because if we don't fight for our rights to use the hardware we've bought the way we want, soon, even on a PC you won't be able to use the softwares/os you want on them.
Hmm, I see your point, but if we would spend the money we would have spent on closed systems and put it towards open systems the companies will cater to us if we put enough money behind open.

If more consumers bought open and not closed the money would be had by these companies if they made open systems. This is why Android is number one, not because it is cheaper, better looking, more secure, more apps, ect ect ect, it is because people can do more with open systems.

So you think we should buy devices to hack so these companies get the point but I think we should just not buy these systems so these companies doesn't even get our money and spend that money on open systems.

I guess there is a place for those like Geohot but I just don't have the skillset for that so I'll stick to backing up open with my money.

Hmm, I see your point, but if we would spend the money we would have spent on closed systems and put it towards open systems the companies will cater to us if we put enough money behind open.

If more consumers bought open and not closed the money would be had by these companies if they made open systems. This is why Android is number one, not because it is cheaper, better looking, more secure, more apps, ect ect ect, it is because people can do more with open systems.

So you think we should buy devices to hack so these companies get the point but I think we should just not buy these systems so these companies doesn't even get our money and spend that money on open systems.

I guess there is a place for those like Geohot but I just don't have the skillset for that so I'll stick to backing up open with my money.

youre right i can wait for Pandora 2. (no joke)

I buy Nintendo systems for first party games and Sony systems for third party games. I don't really care about features other than the availability of fun software.

OMG nintendo is dead, SONY will publish a more powerful plateform...

...wait didn't it already happend?

OMG nintendo is dead, SONY doesn't use flash based media for games...

OMG nintendo is dead, motion gaming will never succeed...

OMG nintendo is dead, there will never be a place for touch screen in gaming...

...wait when did the playstation become a nintendo console?

OMG nintendo is dead, SONY doesn't use flash based media for games...

OMG nintendo is dead, motion gaming will never succeed...

OMG nintendo is dead, there will never be a place for touch screen in gaming...

...wait when did the playstation become a nintendo console?

It almost started as one!

My view is that if the Gamecube couldn't kill Nintendo(in terms of 3rd party support) I don't think anything ever will. Long live Nintendo. To be perfectly honest I can't really think of a truly bad Nintendo (1st party)game or system over the past decade. I think Nintendo receive a lot of flack from the gaming community simply because the they chose to support SD televisions, which had a larger install base when the Wii was launched.

My view is that if the Gamecube couldn't kill Nintendo(in terms of 3rd party support) I don't think anything ever will. Long live Nintendo. To be perfectly honest I can't really think of a truly bad Nintendo (1st party)game or system over the past decade. I think Nintendo receive a lot of flack from the gaming community simply because the they chose to support SD televisions, which had a larger install base when the Wii was launched.

Remember the Virtual Boy? Yes, it had good games, but it flopped hard in the market. Nintendo kept going because they had the Game Boy and the Nintendo 64 (which wasn't doing as well as it could have, either).

The Game Boy Advance probably saved Nintendo during the 6th gen.

Remember the Virtual Boy? Yes, it had good games, but it flopped hard in the market. Nintendo kept going because they had the Game Boy and the Nintendo 64 (which wasn't doing as well as it could have, either).

The Game Boy Advance probably saved Nintendo during the 6th gen.

That was 1995, Not in the last decade. From 2001 to 2011, Nintendo have consistently released good/great first party titles. These games are Nintendo's bread and butter and there is no way that Nintendo will die, or even suffer, in the next few years. With the current drought of first party games, I must admit I agree with Kotaku. It seems that the next console is just around the corner. I think, maybe even at E3, we will see the successor to the Wii. I do believe that Nintendo will address the sort comings of the Wii; such as HDMI, Better online structure, Blu-Ray (just my pipe dream, in my experience Blu-Rays resist scratches better than normal DVDs), maybe some hybrid motion/regular controller.

I loved the GameCube, it had some *awesome* games on it. When it came to upgrade from my PS2, it had to be GC.

D.

Yes, Gamecube had great games : Baten Kaitos which is a superb rpg, Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2, Bloody Roar, and a lot of Dreamcast games like Ikaruga and Skies of Arcadia.

It also had a few strange games like P.N. 03 or Odama.

But that's not all, there were two awesome remade games : Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil. (maybe more, I can't remember)

And a beautiful piece of hardware called Game Boy Player, really useful to play your GB(C/A) games on a big screen (when you don't own a retrode).

The NGC was not as successful as PS2, but it had quite a bunch of great first and third party games.

I'm not saying that the Gamecube didn't have great games, I'm just saying that it didn't have many great 3rd party games (specifically for the platform). Resi 4, Rogue Squadron 2 & 3 and Killer 7 are the only titles that spring to mind. Out of the 25 top selling Gamecube games ever Nintendo made, or at least published, 17 of them! and of those 17 only 1 is truly considered a bad game, StarFox Adventures. So I believe that the quality of Nintendo's first party games will remain high and will almost guarantee that they remain a profitable and successful console manufacturer and game developer. Even then, I pay little attention to review scores and sales figures now. They are all artificially inflated and the perfect 100 score is handed out too willy nilly. Take games that are seen to be classic and remarkable like Timesplitters 2, it's metacritic rating is 88, Pikmin is rated at 89, Eternal Darkness is 92. Now every game that has enough hype gets 100s across the board, and games that try something that isn't "OMG FPS Zombiez in a Sandbox" panned.

I loved the GameCube, it had some *awesome* games on it. When it came to upgrade from my PS2, it had to be GC.

D.

I just got a GameCube, any recommendations?

I just got a GameCube, any recommendations?
I'll only talk about the games I own or have played extensively and that cameleon didn't already named:

Stay away from Starfox Adventures… there was a bug in the game and I couldn't go further because it made me loose a key that never reappeared…

But I would recommend Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, those are beat'em all in a "movie world", really funny.

Beyond Good & Evil is a must have! It's a great action/adventure game. (an HD version of this game should be available soon on 360 and PS3)

If you like shoot'em up, you're not filthy rich and so can't afford Ikaruga on Dreamcast, the Gamecube version is cheaper (most of the time). Another shoot'em up is P.N. 03, but it's hard to find and a really strange game.

Bloody Roar Primal Fury is one of the best fighting games I've played on this console.

In the pure RPG category, Baten Kaitos and Tales of Symphonia are really good. (there are more but I never had the occasion to play)

For the racers, there is Wave Race Blue Storm and the classic Mario Kart Double Dash. Okay, I don't own "true" car racing games, but those two are really good and Wave Race is a really challenging game.

If you own a few GBA and GBA-NGC link cables, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Zelda : Four Swords are great action rpg + "playing with friends and drinking beers".
biggrin.gif
(But you can't solo them, it gets boring pretty fast)

I'm still buying, from time to time, second hand games for the GameCube.

Right now I want a broadband adapter to play Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2 on the SCHTHACK server.

But these adapters are awfully overpriced…

And I agree with cameleon, the score on review websites are too messed up to give a real evaluation of a game.

(I always through that the NGC installation base was larger than the N64 one, I stand corrected)

Back