Why Nintendo might be in trouble

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
I believe that next year Nintendo might be in a spot of trouble due to the arrival of SONY's Next Generation Portable (PSP2).

This is because SONY will no doubt have prepared themselves, this time around from making the same mistakes as they have in the past with the PSP.

You see, NGP is half the size of an iPad and yet will still, imo be big enough to capture the hearts of tablet and smart phone users out there.

The video below is evidence that NGP is out to be the next thing since sliced bread.

See it in action! B)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/oUqD8zJJCZ0?feature=oembed

By the way, don't mind me...I'm just trollin' :p

This will blow shit out of the water. I played 3ds the other day....biggest piece of shit on the market.

5 mins and I was feeling sick and contrary to popular opinion I'm not going to keep playing it to see if I feel less sick.

I'll be more serious!

Oh well… not tonight
laugh.gif

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8AyVh1_vWYQ?feature=oembed

I doubt this will put Nintendo into troubles.

There'll be a market for both, as usual.

It really depends on the kind of games you like. I have a PSP and an NDS. While the PSP is far more superior in terms of graphics than the NDS, I played a LOT more games on the NDS.

For me, the PSP had Final Fantasy: Crisis Core, Pirates!, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep... and that's mostly it. I'm an Jap-RPG-lover.

The NDS had Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 days, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Zelda, New Super Mario Bros., Lunar, SaGa 2, Children of Mana, Heroes of Mana, Suikoden Tierkreis, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside-Story, Tales of Innocence, Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light, Final Fantasy 3 & 4 Remake, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, The World ends with You (FANTASTIC Game!), etc.

For me, the PSP never had the games to interest me. Most RPGs were just PSX-Games (often not even enhanced).

A good hardware doesn't define a system.

I haven't bought a 3DS yet as there's no game that interest me either, but I guess we'll get Mario and Zelda and those will be good enough for me to get one :)

Very impressive video. I think the videogame market has room for Nintendo, Sony and OP of course.

They are just targeting different users. I think I'll get a 3Ds too.

I think the more competition the better. No one has even come close to Nintendo's power when it comes to handhelds, well, Apple has, but for pure gaming no one has. What might hurt Sony is it recent actions when it comes to PS3 hacking. I think everyone will be a little weary of getting a PSP2 thinking they might come under fire from Sony for whatever reason.

I think Nintendo's place ahead of Sony is assured, maybe behind Apple and other smart phone makers but ahead of Sony.

Now, I'll be a bit more serious, really
tongue.gif

I agree with second.exodous.

The removal of other OS, the way they handle the SCEA Vs Hotz case and many other problems (like the PSP Go's game catalogue that is far from the previous PSP's one).

All those thing added contributed to the bad image that Sony already had before. Maybe not for everybody, but at least for the most aware and informed of the consumers. (the uninformed ones are those that can't differentiate hackers from pirates or script kiddies & co and are going all-out against Hotz on Sony's blog)

I know that I'll think twice before buying any software or hardware branded Sony.

To be honest when I saw that Sony allowed to install Linux on their PS3, I through that it was the best move they ever made. (it was doable on the PS2, but you had to buy an overpriced kit IIRC)

Then they removed it and enraged loads of hackers… wrong move if you want to keep your console "safe".

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackberry controls the same amount of market share as Apple, and while none of the Android manufacturers individually exceed either, collectively they're bigger. Windows Phone 7 has a little more then a third of Apple's smart phone market share despite arriving at the party very recently in a largely mature market. With Office integration and a solid base design running off a Qualcomm processor combined with Microsoft's historic success in these exact situations means I see that share going up.

If Microsoft implements the Courier concept in tablets and markets it heavily before anyone else with real OCR IP assets they should dominate tablet space. A dual screen tablet like that allows multitasking along the lines of viewing content and taking notes at the same time in addition to a better virtual book emulation. NEC seems the closest to this currently, with their Android based LT-W, which means Microsoft could end up missing the window and then having to leverage in, but then that is the Microsoft way.

Ironically

https://www.youtube.com/embed/i9rMCM1tg2w?feature=oembedNice integration of the accelerometer and touch screen. I suppose Jobs' will tell use the 5" screen and resolution slightly under the iPad's 1024x600 at 960x544 is simply too dense.

Given it does have a 3G modem I can see it cutting into the market Apple has created for Tablets, which largely revolves around a integrated mobile device that can browse the web, maintain connectivity, and operate as a PMP. I however admit to not understanding the market for the iPad beyond what the marketing antics can carry it to, particularly when you have Anandtech admitting despite trying to force himself to use it he finds himself switching out from it for anything not involved in content viewing. Ironically the Archos series of tablets has everything he thinks Apple should have included to correct his problems, but are utterly under his radar.

But then Archos has enough of a marketing problem I've seen a whole slew of reviews who would have you believe they weren't in the market before Apple and the case is just plastic instead of a high tensile strength stainless steel frame with the plastic body panels overmolded over it. Something a sight more sane then a thin aluminum bucket compromised with lightening cuts, with a lid stuck on top but then Apple was never IBM/Lenovo, despite what their advocates may wish to tell themselves.

i think a modded sony NGP will emulate playstation 2, gamecube and xbox nicely. oh and dreamcast and saturn. and n64.

I doubt this will put Nintendo into troubles.

There'll be a market for both, as usual.

It really depends on the kind of games you like. I have a PSP and an NDS. While the PSP is far more superior in terms of graphics than the NDS, I played a LOT more games on the NDS.

For me, the PSP had Final Fantasy: Crisis Core, Pirates!, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep... and that's mostly it. I'm an Jap-RPG-lover.

The NDS had Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 days, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Zelda, New Super Mario Bros., Lunar, SaGa 2, Children of Mana, Heroes of Mana, Suikoden Tierkreis, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside-Story, Tales of Innocence, Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light, Final Fantasy 3 & 4 Remake, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, The World ends with You (FANTASTIC Game!), etc.

For me, the PSP never had the games to interest me. Most RPGs were just PSX-Games (often not even enhanced).

A good hardware doesn't define a system.

I haven't bought a 3DS yet as there's no game that interest me either, but I guess we'll get Mario and Zelda and those will be good enough for me to get one :)

I think I'm going to need you to recommend some DS-games which are similar to Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.

I found, also, that the RPG titles on the PSP left something to be desired. More than a couple seemed overly focussed on graphics (which weren't very good anyway), and subsequently bored me to death.

The PSP had a fatal flaw- its only strong point was beating out the NDS with graphically shiny 3D titles. But the NDS using the D-Pad and thumb-stylus had far, far, far, FAAAAR better control over 3D titles.... so the only real benefit to the PSP, and the only reason I kept hold of mine, was its hackability. It makes a mean portable genesis.

If the NGP gets hacked. I'm in there. Otherwise... not so much.

is it just me that fails to see any attractive features in that video? all just gimicky stuff that doesn't get round the problem that the controls just plain suck, and always have on the playstation consoles

and half the size of an ipad? that's bigger than a pandora

and a nice series that compares to golden sun is the dragon quest series, if not better then golden sun. and im also not at all interested in NGP until we get homebrew on it. and exo...just remember, if you build it, they will come

Sony really needs to improve on three things:

• Better battery life. Surprisingly enough, Nintendo dropped the ball with the 3DS as well (or so I've read).
    There is this nice niche handheld which gets it just right, I believe it is called the Pandora :p
  • Standard SD cards. NVG cards? Seriously? Sony, cut the crap already and join the rest of the world.
  • More openness. I'm fed up with systems preventing me from using them how I see fit.

Other than this, the NGP has a really nice set of features.

I think Sony's problem with the PSP was that they never really got the hang of pick up and play gaming and kept insisting on creating 20 hour epics with sparse save points. Unfortunately I doubt this will change as Sony doesn't seem to be one to learn from their mistakes and will just keep going on with what they think is right despite bad reception. As they've yet again focused on pure processing power as they did with the PSP and PS3 I still don't think they'll change their minds on so many other aspects.

I'd prefer the 3DS quite honestly. While there's less under the hood, at least Nintendo isn't going to try and murder me...

I seriously hate Sony.

Remember Lik-Sang!

Remember Rootkits!

Remember how the faked reviews!

Remember Geohot!

I might buy one secondhand though ;)

Back