Putting A Cellphone In This Thing?

ethereal

Any chance these guys are going to make a pandora with a cellphone in it? I really don't want to carry around a cellphone AND a gaming device.

Iphones are like assholes. Everyone has one. I want a Pandora phone.

This has come up before. Apart from the preferences people had IIRC there were some serious (well seriously expensive) licensing issues around putting a phone in the Pandora.

Wookiee said:
This has come up before. Apart from the preferences people had IIRC there were some serious (well seriously expensive) licensing issues around putting a phone in the Pandora.

You need license to make a cellphone? I know you can put any sim card in any phone that's not locked and it should work with that sim cards cell phone service. I wouldn't mind paying $500 for a pandora with a phone in it. I wouldn't mind spending $1000 if I could read ebooks, play games, surf the web, and have a cellphone in it..

Last edited by a moderator:
Why pay for cellphone service if you just use VOIP, its gotta mic built in, speakers, I guess just an opensource program that does it is all we'll need. I'm too lazy to research but i'm sure its been discussed extensively if you are so inclined to look further into it.

Peace & Benydryll (phantom allergens trying to steal my powers)

Link

Some bluetooth goodness similar to what vehicles have would be nice. On screen address book and callerID would be awesome; pair the phone, tuck it away, use headphones and built in mic to talk.

Mjlink said:
Why pay for cellphone service if you just use VOIP, its gotta mic built in, speakers, I guess just an opensource program that does it is all we'll need. I'm too lazy to research but i'm sure its been discussed extensively if you are so inclined to look further into it.

Link

Were I come from we don't have free wifi all over the place, however we have cellphone service basically everywhere. I really don't want to spend 30 minutes looking for a wifi hotspot to make a phone call.

If the pandora already has mic built in, speakers built in, and more then enough processing power, it's already have way to becoming a cellphone anyways?

Anyone know the name of the manufacturer in china that makes these things? Do they have a webpage? If the pandora developers won't make an opensource gameplatform/cellphone combo, maybe I'll just have to do it myself.

ethereal said:
Wookiee said:

You need license to make a cellphone? I know you can put any sim card in any phone that's not locked and it should work with that sim cards cell phone service. I wouldn't mind paying $500 for a pandora with a phone in it. I wouldn't mind spending $1000 if I could read ebooks, play games, surf the web, and have a cellphone in it..

Loads of technology is designed / patented by one company. Then used, under license, by many others. Mobile phones are stuffed full of this kind of technology so you have pay loads of money to use the technology.

This might help a little

ethereal said:
Mjlink said:

Link

Were I come from we don't have free wifi all over the place, however we have cellphone service basically everywhere. I really don't want to spend 30 minutes looking for a wifi hotspot to make a phone call.

If the pandora already has mic built in, speakers built in, and more then enough processing power, it's already have way to becoming a cellphone anyways?

Anyone know the name of the manufacturer in china that makes these things? Do they have a webpage? If the pandora developers won't make an opensource gameplatform/cellphone combo, maybe I'll just have to do it myself.

You could get a 3G modem and run VOIP over that.

ethereal said:

Could you clarify what "these things" refers to, please? I'm not sure that anyone's going to be able to provide much in the way of leads without that. ;)

Wookiee said:
ethereal said:
Mjlink said:

Link

And BINGO was his nameO

get a 3g dongle, some sort of compatible softphone and there it is.

btw i save a lot of money using softphones (somewhat already included in my ip land line) so no extra charge.

You know, there was a time (before iPhones) where cellphones were cellphones and handheld computers were handheld computers.

Not every phone needs to be "smart". Not ever handheld computer need to be able to make calls. It all has been a very clever marketing strategy to bundle a very expensive computing together with a cellphone.

It was rather brilliant on their part. Combine a luxury (handheld computer) device with necesity (cellphone) one. Now everyone has a good excuse to blow tons of money on this two things, which are just sold together.

Like I always say: what I want out of a cellphone is to make/receive calls, have some sort of contact list, a call log, clock/date/alarm and that's it. It serves it purpose well enough that way.

Mobile internet? Sorry, I hate cellphone service providers, they hugely overprice services (ie. $30 monthly for 3G dongle, 2GB limit!!!). I say NO THANKS. I'll try to minimize the amount of money they charge (steal) from me.

Prometheus said:
ethereal said:

Could you clarify what "these things" refers to, please? I'm not sure that anyone's going to be able to provide much in the way of leads without that. ;)

In this post I was refering to the Pandora. I figure it would be obvious since I was in the Pandora folder. If I could put a cellphone inside a gp32 or that wiz thing that would be cool too, but I like the way he Pandora is laid out with the keypad and joysticks.

Yoyobuae said:
You know, there was a time (before iPhones) where cellphones were cellphones and handheld computers were handheld computers.

Not every phone needs to be "smart". Not ever handheld computer need to be able to make calls. It all has been a very clever marketing strategy to bundle a very expensive computing together with a cellphone.

It was rather brilliant on their part. Combine a luxury (handheld computer) device with necesity (cellphone) one. Now everyone has a good excuse to blow tons of money on this two things, which are just sold together.

Like I always say: what I want out of a cellphone is to make/receive calls, have some sort of contact list, a call log, clock/date/alarm and that's it. It serves it purpose well enough that way.

Mobile internet? Sorry, I hate cellphone service providers, they hugely overprice services (ie. $30 monthly for 3G dongle, 2GB limit!!!). I say NO THANKS. I'll try to minimize the amount of money they charge (steal) from me.

I agree cellphone providers are screwing us over with there "dongles", but I honestly prefer a Swiss Army knife approach to handheld devices. I REALLY don't want to carry around more then 1 electronic device at a time... Imagine trying to carry around 3 cellphone size devices on you at all times!

ethereal said:
Prometheus said:

In this post I was refering to the Pandora. I figure it would be obvious since I was in the Pandora folder. If I could put a cellphone inside a gp32 or that wiz thing that would be cool too, but I like the way he Pandora is laid out with the keypad and joysticks.
The Pandora isn't made all in one place, nor are its schematics themselves available - it's not some sort of rebadged reference design, after all. :)

That's why I asked what you meant - for all I knew, you might have been asking about mobile phone components with which to modify a Pandora, since that's what the topic's title seems to allude to. ;)

[/quote]

[/quote]

Really? Can anyone confirm of any working 3g modem drivers that works with Pandora?

What would this look like? It it like a usb thumb drive sticking out the side of the Pandora? Has anyone tested this out before?

Anyways.. Back to the earlier question....

Anyone know the company that makes the Pandora? Do they have a webpage?

Regarding USB 3G modems, DJWillis has tested a couple. They're listed here. It's likely that the results will be similar for other devices that are known to work with Linux, too, but the ones listed are the ones known to have been tested so far. Additionally, "MiFi" type devices are sure to work, since they're simply used via WiFi.

Prometheus said:
ethereal said:
Prometheus said:

The Pandora isn't made all in one place, nor are its schematics themselves available - it's not some sort of rebadged reference design, after all. :)

That's why I asked what you meant - for all I knew, you might have been asking about mobile phone components with which to modify a Pandora, since that's what the topic's title seems to allude to. ;)

Ok... I'm getting warmer.

What are all the different companies that make the pandora? Were are they located in China? What are there website addresses?

I couldn't tell you, I have no idea - I'm not one of the team, so I don't know where they obtain stuff, or any other details about their supply chain. :p

Don't forget that there's also at least one company in Texas, and then of course you've got MWeston, who designed the boards, in Canada... :p

Back